Avoiding "cognitive tunneling"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are any of you aware of any practices for reducing cognitive tunneling (defined below) in a self-defense context?

Cognitive tunneling is an effect that occurs when our brains move from an auto-pilot mode (like when we're walking down the street, just enjoying the day or thinking about work, etc. - Condition White) to a crisis situation (Condition Orange or Red) where decisions are suddenly neceessary. The brain tends to lock in on the single stimulus most dominant (often, right in front of the field of vision at that moment) and ignore all others in decision making. This could lead to a whole range of problems, not the least being focusing on an obvious threat and ignoring two others next to him.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Are any of you aware of any practices for reducing cognitive tunneling (defined below) in a self-defense context?

Cognitive tunneling is an effect that occurs when our brains move from an auto-pilot mode (like when we're walking down the street, just enjoying the day or thinking about work, etc. - Condition White) to a crisis situation (Condition Orange or Red) where decisions are suddenly neceessary. The brain tends to lock in on the single stimulus most dominant (often, right in front of the field of vision at that moment) and ignore all others in decision making. This could lead to a whole range of problems, not the least being focusing on an obvious threat and ignoring two others next to him.
Allot of aikido haters might laugh about this but I'm firm believer in aikido randori helping me not fall in to the tunnel vision on a single opponent.

When I first started aikido I would often end up with my back turned to one opponent when I was dealing the first opponent and my Sensei would tell me Everytime I did this. Now when I do randori this rarely happens and I'm usually using the first attacker as a shield for one of the other attackers.

I will say that it's a type of sparring I value now since my other styles didn't focus on multiple opponents in sparring. The one thing you can also do is give the opponent's training knifes and then one will randomly pull the knife out with out you knowing which one is the knife attacker.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a specific exercise drill that I do in class. I'll have to record it the next time I have class.

When I'm sparring one of my goals is to absorbing the background which helps to reduce the tendency to focus directly (staring) at the person in front. Outside of sparring I will train my vision on a clear night I by looking at the stars in the sky. The goal is to not focus on one set of stars but to try to pick up movement of light in the sky by looking at the entire sky. I use this same method when sparring. I don't need to see detail from my opponent, I only need to see and factor movement in order to fight. Everything else can be done by touching and sensing. This helps me to keep the bigger picture in play. I will also disengage or increase distance from my opponent for the purpose of getting a bigger picture, especially when I find that my vision is tunneling. When I'm in the heat of punches then I don't know if I get tunnel vision or if my view is just blocked because I'm close to the person I'm fighting. Stepping back and disengaging can help to regain the bigger picture and gives me the opportunity to see the environment, threats, opportunities, and escapes.

I look at vision like everything else, a person can train vision so that it can perform certain tasks in more of a natural manner (auto pilot).

Sports like basketball, hockey, football, lacrosse, tag (the children's game), and old fashion dodge ball also helps. No look passes in basketball are an excellent example.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allot of aikido haters might laugh about this but I'm firm believer in aikido randori helping me not fall in to the tunnel vision on a single opponent.

When I first started aikido I would often end up with my back turned to one opponent when I was dealing the first opponent and my Sensei would tell me Everytime I did this. Now when I do randori this rarely happens and I'm usually using the first attacker as a shield for one of the other attackers.

I will say that it's a type of sparring I value now since my other styles didn't focus on multiple opponents in sparring. The one thing you can also do is give the opponent's training knifes and then one will randomly pull the knife out with out you knowing which one is the knife attacker.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
The issue is that cognitive tunneling seems to defy simple training (by which I mean training the mind to pay attention to a wider focus, as with multiple-man randori). It can happen to extremely experienced airline pilots, when they have (literally) been on auto-pilot and something happens that requires they take control of the plane. They can focus on a single gauge or control to the exclusion of the other things they'd normally pay attention to.

That's not to say that multiple-man scenarios (including randori) aren't good. They absolutely are, and I suspect they are part of an answer. It looks like cognitive models (a picture to compare a situation to, and a pre-determined sequence to revert to) are an important part of avoiding cognitive tunneling.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a specific exercise drill that I do in class. I'll have to record it the next time I have class.

When I'm sparring one of my goals is to absorbing the background which helps to reduce the tendency to focus directly (staring) at the person in front. Outside of sparring I will train my vision on a clear night I by looking at the stars in the sky. The goal is to not focus on one set of stars but to try to pick up movement of light in the sky by looking at the entire sky. I use this same method when sparring. I don't need to see detail from my opponent, I only need to see and factor movement in order to fight. Everything else can be done by touching and sensing. This helps me to keep the bigger picture in play. I will also disengage or increase distance from my opponent for the purpose of getting a bigger picture, especially when I find that my vision is tunneling. When I'm in the heat of punches then I don't know if I get tunnel vision or if my view is just blocked because I'm close to the person I'm fighting. Stepping back and disengaging can help to regain the bigger picture and gives me the opportunity to see the environment, threats, opportunities, and escapes.

I look at vision like everything else, a person can train vision so that it can perform certain tasks in more of a natural manner (auto pilot).

Sports like basketball, hockey, football, lacrosse, tag (the children's game), and old fashion dodge ball also helps. No look passes in basketball are an excellent example.
Cognitive tunneling is not about vision. It's about your brain's focus (not the focus of the eyes). Your brain (kind of like your eyes) can take a wide, floodlight-like focus or a narrow, spotlight-like focus. When we are suddenly forced to switch from auto-pilot to critical decisions, our brain has a natural tendency to focus hard. That's probably a throwback to being attacked by predators, and was valuable if you were being attacked by a single predator.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

A couple months ago, I was topping off tanks, at the factory, when I noticed another tank had sprung a leak. I instantly focused on that, and ended up over filling the tank I was at. I looked around, and I couldn't find anyone to blame. Damn it! o_O

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple months ago, I was topping off tanks, at the factory, when I noticed another tank had sprung a leak. I instantly focused on that, and ended up over filling the tank I was at. I looked around, and I couldn't find anyone to blame. Damn it! o_O
That's a good example. If you fill tanks a lot, you were probably mostly on automatic while doing that function. When the leak showed up, you switched to decision-making, and your brain focused only on that one thing - the leak.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it you don't want the men can't multi task argument? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What I think can be addressed is coping with extreme stress or anxiety in general and, where possible, exposure to the activity.

Competitions are one way to get people outside of their comfort zone and force them to function in a stressful situation. Teaching people things that they can actually apply in context is helpful, which is another reason I'm a fan of competition.

Scenario based training, if done well, could also help, I think.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I think can be addressed is coping with extreme stress or anxiety in general and, where possible, exposure to the activity.

Competitions are one way to get people outside of their comfort zone and force them to function in a stressful situation. Teaching people things that they can actually apply in context is helpful, which is another reason I'm a fan of competition.

Scenario based training, if done well, could also help, I think.
Competition helps with the stress training, but it never has that moment of switching. Since we know it is coming, we aren't standing around in auto-mode until the opponent starts to act. Remember that commercial pilots are put through some very stressful scenarios along the way in simulators (and sometimes while actually flying), and are good at the necessary decision-making. The issue is with that unexpected switch between modes - that's where our minds over-focus.

I also wonder if cognitive tunneling might be responsible for some of the "I never saw the knife" scenarios. In fact, I have little doubt that it does, but how many - what percentage?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Competition helps with the stress training, but it never has that moment of switching. Since we know it is coming, we aren't standing around in auto-mode until the opponent starts to act. Remember that commercial pilots are put through some very stressful scenarios along the way in simulators (and sometimes while actually flying), and are good at the necessary decision-making. The issue is with that unexpected switch between modes - that's where our minds over-focus.

I also wonder if cognitive tunneling might be responsible for some of the "I never saw the knife" scenarios. In fact, I have little doubt that it does, but how many - what percentage?
I'm sure you're right. I'm just throwing out some thoughts, and I'm open to other ideas.

Frankly, what comes to mind is the Inspector Clouseau situation, where Kato just jumps out of the bushes or attacks him in his sleep. In other words, it seems like you'd need to in some way replicate that shock, and further, that you'd need to do it in the context of the situation you're trying to normalize. Which kind of seems like a bad idea. Doesn't it?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think about other situations in which people experience this, and the one that I think about is driving. I understand that this is a little different, but when I taught my kids to drive a few years ago, that was exciting. Kids are so overwhelmed by all of the stimuli from within the car, that they literally only process what is a few feet in front of their car. Through exposure and experience, they are better able to organize the information and so are able to expand their field of view.

There was a video a few years back on this about basketballs and such. Anyone here see that? I don't want to say more, in case you haven't seen it. Very interesting.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cognitive tunneling is not about vision. It's about your brain's focus (not the focus of the eyes). Your brain (kind of like your eyes) can take a wide, floodlight-like focus or a narrow, spotlight-like focus. When we are suddenly forced to switch from auto-pilot to critical decisions, our brain has a natural tendency to focus hard. That's probably a throwback to being attacked by predators, and was valuable if you were being attacked by a single predator.
You mentioned vision in your statement. So that's what I was addressing. See below.

The brain tends to lock in on the single stimulus most dominant (often, right in front of the field of vision at that moment) and ignore all others in decision making. This could lead to a whole range of problems, not the least being focusing on an obvious threat and ignoring two others next to him.

To me it's the same. Vision, smell, touch, hearing, and taste function send information to the brain which in turns helps the brain to process the environment. You can not process your environment without at least one of these things working. At any point of time during the day and at night even when sleeping, the brain will pay more attention to one sensory organ more than another for various lengths of time.

Our brains don't operate independently from our other senses. What is in my brain is what I get from the input of touch, sight, smell, hearing, and even taste. What I choose to do with that information is where training will come into place.

hat's a good example. If you fill tanks a lot, you were probably mostly on automatic while doing that function. When the leak showed up, you switched to decision-making, and your brain focused only on that one thing - the leak.
Would that decision or focus even had existed if he did not have the ability to see?

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you're right. I'm just throwing out some thoughts, and I'm open to other ideas.

Frankly, what comes to mind is the Inspector Clouseau situation, where Kato just jumps out of the bushes or attacks him in his sleep. In other words, it seems like you'd need to in some way replicate that shock, and further, that you'd need to do it in the context of the situation you're trying to normalize. Which kind of seems like a bad idea. Doesn't it?
It does, and it's also the only good (bad) answer I've come up with, thus far. That's why I asked here. I think scenario training and/or competitions give some help in this. I think multiple-attacker scenarios and drills help some in this area. I just don't think either gives us that answer to having to change states. I'm imagining adding some sort of Kato-like suprise attacks in the dojo. I'd have to contemplate how to make that safe for students (and me, as Kato). I don't think it necessarily has to be in the specific situation (though that would be best), so long as you're training the mind to a specific reaction to that state change.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think about other situations in which people experience this, and the one that I think about is driving. I understand that this is a little different, but when I taught my kids to drive a few years ago, that was exciting. Kids are so overwhelmed by all of the stimuli from within the car, that they literally only process what is a few feet in front of their car. Through exposure and experience, they are better able to organize the information and so are able to expand their field of view.

There was a video a few years back on this about basketballs and such. Anyone here see that? I don't want to say more, in case you haven't seen it. Very interesting.

Yes, I recall this. It's a similar cognitive effect, though obviously generated through a different process.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mentioned vision in your statement. So that's what I was addressing. See below.

To me it's the same. Vision, smell, touch, hearing, and taste function send information to the brain which in turns helps the brain to process the environment. You can not process your environment without at least one of these things working. At any point of time during the day and at night even when sleeping, the brain will pay more attention to one sensory organ more than another for various lengths of time.

Our brains don't operate independently from our other senses. What is in my brain is what I get from the input of touch, sight, smell, hearing, and even taste. What I choose to do with that information is where training will come into place.

Would that decision or focus even had existed if he did not have the ability to see?
You have a point, and since we tend to draw our information mostly from our eyes, there's definitely a link. With the cognitive phenomenon, however, the subject can actually receive and respond to spoken information which their brain simply fails to process, staying focused on the one point it chose.

Here's the example I recently picked up (from the book Smarter Faster Better), which refers to an Air France flight that went down over the Atlantic. There was a minor issue (something small that pilots deal with all the time: frozen pitot tubes) that caused the pilot to suddenly take manual control after 4 hours on auto-pilot. He fixated on the information from a display in front of him (roll indicator) to the exclusion of all else. Even when the co-pilot told him the nose was pitched up and he needed to bring it down, he responded "yes" and continued to focus on the roll, unconsciously keeping the nose up. The co-pilot was also tunneled, focused on a display of messages from the system, not seeing that the pilot had the nose pitched up.

The co-pilot was probably visually tunneled, as well as cognitively. There's indication that the pilot was not - his brain actually got so overwhelmed just before the crash that he literally stopped seeing the display he was looking at.

Latest Discussions