Avoid landing on top of your opponent

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To prevent injury in sport, you try not to land on top of your opponent. This training is the opposite of the BJJ training or the MMA training that you try to get a ground control.

PRO: Less injury in training. You can get back up on your feet right away.
CON: You don't get ground control.

What's your opinion on this?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One thing I know is in the NFL they made falling on top of the QB as part of a sack a penalty to prevent injuries to the QB. So far at least one player has torn their ACL by trying NOT to fall on the QB.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The soft wrestling mat can make the falling much more comfortable. I have seen too many injury happened because one body land on top another body. One time I was almost killed when my opponent landed his elbow joint straight down on my chest with all his body weight.

No elbow strike and no knee strike are allowed when you are on the ground. But how do you know your opponent did that on purpose, or he might just lose balance.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You go to your knees first. Or if you have the guy super lifted. You just call it and let him down.

I don't take big falls well anymore.

And as a side note. I always shoot. Because then all that happens is I get sprawled on.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You go to your knees first.
The moment that you drop your knee on the ground, you have decided that you want to play the ground game. You may lose your "mobility" right at that moment.

In street fight, if you want to maintain your mobility, you may want to take a different approach. The mobility may not be an issue for 1-1 situation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The moment that you drop your knee on the ground, you have decided that you want to play the ground game. You may lose your "mobility" right at that moment.

In street fight, if you want to maintain your mobility, you may want to take a different approach. The mobility may not be an issue for 1-1 situation.

Cos you can't stand back up?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are ways to train safety but consistently trained effort or actions over time is what will come out. After all that is one of the major easy you train.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are ways to train safety but consistently trained effort or actions over time is what will come out. After all that is one of the major easy you train.

Sort of.

It is harder to win if you haven't power bombed your guy in to the deck and then jumped on him.

But you do get better at transitioning because he is defending more effectively.

I haven't met many people who have struggled going from a safe take down in training to a screw you take down in a fight.

Even tiger don't really bomb guys.

And you can see them go knees first rather than shoulder first.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not really. Sometimes I take a knee to maintain mobility (better than being further down), and I can rise pretty quickly from a single knee. I can also turn, move, and counter from that position.

To your OP, I think it's useful to train all three: stay standing, fall with them, and finish to a knee/control position. Having those trained gives a wide range of options. If you train always to stand, you'll have a problem when your opponent hangs on during a throw (which happens a lot when loose clothing is involved). I've seen students fall down (not really controlled) when that happens, where they could simply have followed their opponent's fall to gain position.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can stand back up fast with 1 knee drop. I can't stand back up fast (or not fast enough) with 2 knees drop.
From 2 knees, it's a small move to one knee. If you've disengaged, you can go directly from 2 knees to standing (I do this when doing a formal bow in my classes).