Audioslave split!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chris Cornell has decided to go it alone.
Citing "irresolvable personality conflicts as well as musical differences," the Audioslave frontman announced Thursday he's leaving the supergroup.

cornell-chris-cp-8805561.jpg
Chris Cornell, here performing with Audioslave during a concert at Madison Square Garden in October 2005, will release a solo album May 1.

(Jeff Christensen/Associated Press)
"I wish the other three members nothing but the best in all of their future endeavours," Cornell said in a statement.

Full story.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like only two songs by the band, "Like A Stone" and "Shadows On The Sun".
The song, Like A Stone, I've been trying to figure out the meaning of the lyrics overall. Is he talking about he's dead and waiting on his love or that she's dead and he's waiting to die. Still a good song.

On a cobweb afternoon
In a room full of emptiness
By a freeway I confess
I was lost in the pages
Of a book full of death
Reading how we'll die alone
And if we're good we'll lay to rest
Anywhere we want to go

In your house I long to be
Room by room patiently
I'll wait for you there
Like a stone
I'll wait for you there
Alone

And on my deathbed I will pray
To the gods and the angels
Like a pagan to anyone
Who will take me to heaven
To a place I recall
I was there so long ago
The sky was bruised
The wine was bled
And there you led me on

Room by room patiently
I'll wait for you there
Like a stone
I'll wait for you there
Alone, alone

And on I read
Until the day was gone
And I sat in regret
Of all the things that I've done
For all that I've blessed
And all that I've wronged
In dreams until my death
I will wander on

Room by room patiently
I'll wait for you there
Like a stone
I'll wait for you there
Alone, alone

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The song has two meanings.

First he is waiting to die to rejoin his love second he's having a crisis of faith or lack there of in regards to if there really is a heaven.

He obviously doesn't believe it hence the book of death (bible) and the pagan praying to anyone to take him to heaven but he wants to because he wants to believe he will get to see her again.

--Infy

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The song has two meanings.

First he is waiting to die to rejoin his love second he's having a crisis of faith or lack there of in regards to if there really is a heaven.

He obviously doesn't believe it hence the book of death (bible) and the pagan praying to anyone to take him to heaven but he wants to because he wants to believe he will get to see her again.

--Infy
Thanks... right now that sounds like a friend of mine whose wife committed suicide last week. Sigh.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MA-Caver - That's horrible!

Rage Against the Machine is billed to headline the final day of Coachella 2007 on Sunday, April 29. It was supposed to be a one-off, but maybe we'll hear more of them together with Zack de la Rocha now that Chris Cornell is headed in a different direction.

To be honest, I like the newer Audioslave stuff a lot more than any of Chris Cornell's previous work. I didn't care for the older stuff that had too much of the Rage sound, even though I was an early Rage fan.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks... right now that sounds like a friend of mine whose wife committed suicide last week. Sigh.

My well wishes to your friend and no problem I always got those big fat A's when we had to do reading comp stuffies.

I've never heard the song but I might have too now.

--Infy

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was kind of hoping that they had replaced the lead guitar player with someone who could play a melodic solo instead of just random noise.

I thought the Audioslave's (i.e. Rage's) riffs were very solid and combined with Cornell's powerful voice made for a very nice sound.

But the noisy non-melodic "guitar solos" always kind of bugged me.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does that mean we get Soundgarden and Rage back?

Doubt it, but what a ride for those guys. From Mother-love-bone days, through Soundgarden, where'd the rest of them go... Oh yeah, Pearl Jam heh. Temple of the Dog was a great moment, then into early Soundgarden, wow.

I'd be interested to hear where the different people go, what kinds of flavors they make in the next iterations of themselves.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver - That's horrible!

Rage Against the Machine is billed to headline the final day of Coachella 2007 on Sunday, April 29. It was supposed to be a one-off, but maybe we'll hear more of them together with Zack de la Rocha now that Chris Cornell is headed in a different direction.

To be honest, I like the newer Audioslave stuff a lot more than any of Chris Cornell's previous work. I didn't care for the older stuff that had too much of the Rage sound, even though I was an early Rage fan.

Squizz aka Channel 48 on XM stated that the Rage Reunion would most likely be longer than the one off and the one off is part of the differences that lead Chris to decide to leave. Although he did do the latest Bond theme song by himself so he may have had some issues or this may have been a long time in the coming.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they can't keep Weiland out of jail or rehab... :p

That is what is caled taking some time off to work on the lyrics for the next studio album. ;) :D

Latest Discussions