Attention all users...

Discussion in 'Wing Chun' started by Grenadier, Oct 26, 2016.

1. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Lol. leave it to the Wing Chun people. A lot in in fighting for the rights to claim what Wing Chun is. Martialtalk needs to host a tournament. Lol.

2. KangTsai

KangTsai 2nd Black Belt

Style discussions degenerate quick, anywhere on the Internet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. wtxs

wtxs Brown Belt

You're so right about the in fighting bit. Title of WSL early 80's video is Wing Chun - The Science of In Fighting, guess he never ever expect people to take it literally and to the extreme.:facepalm::p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. geezer

geezer Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    @ Guy -- My previous post was a reflection on attitude, I have nothing against WSL-VT. In fact I am an admirer of the system, ...although I haven't found anybody teaching it in my area.

Regarding your having experienced other WC branches and then converting to WSL VT, I have little to say ...except beware of becoming a janissary for your newfound art. Converts often become the most extreme zealots. Kind of like self-righteous non-smokers who have but recently given up the habit.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Juany118

Juany118 Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    First I completely agree with this. I too have no issue with WSLVT and see it as an excellent system. My issue is only born when alternative systems are dismissed with little evidence detailed as a justification.

I also agree with the last. I had some WSLVT training before I found my current school. First night there we open with chi sau. Now my teacher once studied WSLVT as well yet when he saw my chi sau he came over and said "no, that's modified WC not Traditional Wing Chun" so I had to start at the beginning again "reprogram" my forms.

I wouldn't call him a true fanatic because there are times where I have used TWC techniques in more of an Aikido fashion (I go for control and take downs in sparring more than the other students) and he doesn't have an issue with it, maybe because he knows it will help me on the job, BUT he still sees TWC as superior to WSLVT and will refer to other YM Lineages as "modified."

PS I used "Aikido fashion" because that was the first Eastern TMA I studied.
    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. guy b

guy b 2nd Black Belt

Thanks for the reply. I don't feel as if my attitude is a bad one, or that I am arrogant about the WSL VT system compared to other systems- I like to cross train and I am always exploring new things. I love to learn martial arts. I suppose I have a short attention span for things where I perceive inconsistencies, and I have seen a lot in the wing chun I experienced prior to my current group.

The last VT group I trained with was WSL VT, but after quite a while I found out that it was severely impaired in terms of understanding and efficacy due to lack of knowledge and subsequent gap filling by the teacher. I am not an evangelist for a particular system, maybe more an enthusiast for a particular way of doing things. I am not prepared to put up with a relaxed "its all good" attitude or the converse super secretive "you can learn why we do that later when you have paid me x amount". I need reasons and explanation that is consistent and without contradiction. I need effective demonstration. I appreciate directness. I am not a fan of heirarchies and time served over ability.

• Like Like x 3
  7. wingchun100

wingchun100 Senior Master

Well, for what it's worth, there WERE some good replies before that thread fell apart.

8. Transk53

Transk53 The Dark Often Prevails

• Supporting Member
    Yeah it was me no doubt. A night of idiocy on my part, and a moment of weakness that I have spent the best part of a week berating myself for.

Do apologise to all members. Didn't even remember posting, bar the one about the VT punch.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jks9199

jks9199 Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    It seems we really need to republish this on a weekly basis. Or maybe people need to heed it...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

which people do you have in mind?

• Like Like x 1