Attacked in my front yard

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys,

Since I have been out of the Marine Corps I have not used Martial Skill unless through competition. Screwing around with the buds does not count.

This evening I had to. I had just gotten off the phone with our good pal zDom, went outside to my car.

I have this drunkard neighbor that has a record of beating the snot out of his kids, wife, and mother in law. A few weeks ago he stepped on his wife's foot that just had surgery. This guy is a jerk.

Well I had made it to my car and I heard "Hey tough guy". ***A side note - Quote cleaned up for posting purposes*** I just out of instinct turned and dropped into a wide shallow h-stance, dropped the hips in perfect rotation and reverse punched. I mean this guys right hand knocked my St. L Cardinal ballcap off, which means he intended to hit me in the back of the head. Yikes!

The punch hit him square in the solar plexus and knocked him out cold. I was reaching towards his right wrist to perform a wrist lock but he was on his way to the deck. The guy was bleeding out of his ear, very scary. I quickly pulled the phone out of my pocket and called the police. Luckily I live all of 2 minutes from the police station. They were there before he woke up.

I told them what happened, the cop told me...."Sir, you have an American Flag and Marine Corps standard hanging by your garage. He has a record and you're not in the wrong. Time to take him away."

So he wore shiny bracelets and got to ride in the nifty car.

You know, I absolutely feel bad. The last thing I hate is confrontation, invited or otherwise.

The thing is I love competition, that is one thing that really drives me. I hate fighting, now 3 hours later I still kinda feel like I did something wrong even though I didn't. First time I have had to defend myself, instead of someone else since the early 90's. Who else can identify? Thoughts? Opinions?

I called and talked to Bill Evans and GM about it, there response was, "Are you hurt? We know you, you don't even go to places that invite nonsense, you didn't do anything wrong. Don't worry."

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow Matt, I'm glad to hear you're okay, and sorry to hear you were put into that kind of situation right in your own front yard. Here's hoping that this little experience with fire will straighten out that scofflaw.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow.

Glad you're ok. Make sure you press charges and take care in case he tries to retaliate (ambush or armed assault).

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I had made it to my car and I heard "Hey tough guy". ***A side note - Quote cleaned up for posting purposes*** I just out of instinct turned and dropped into a wide shallow h-stance, dropped the hips in perfect rotation and reverse punched. I mean this guys right hand knocked my St. L Cardinal ballcap off, which means he intended to hit me in the back of the head. Yikes!
Any idea what set him off, or is he just one of those types that looks for someone to smack around when he's been drinking?

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any idea what set him off, or is he just one of those types that looks for someone to smack around when he's been drinking?

Honestly, he is just a mean drunk that likes to fight. The bad thing is that he is always jacked up on vicadin, light beer and vodka. About a month ago he got thrown out of a Applebees for starting trouble over where the college gal had set him.

Not quite a year ago he talked trash to my dad when he came up to visit. This guy almost bit his sons nose off in his front yard over the summer because his kid had gotten in a car accident.

I certainly pressed charges and told the police I wanted a restraining order. I told my wife she is not to go anywhere near the front door if he is knocking and to enter and leave the car in the garage when the door is down etc.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly, he is just a mean drunk that likes to fight. The bad thing is that he is always jacked up on vicadin, light beer and vodka. About a month ago he got thrown out of a Applebees for starting trouble over where the college gal had set him.

Not quite a year ago he talked trash to my dad when he came up to visit. This guy almost bit his sons nose off in his front yard over the summer because his kid had gotten in a car accident.

I certainly pressed charges and told the police I wanted a restraining order. I told my wife she is not to go anywhere near the front door if he is knocking and to enter and leave the car in the garage when the door is down etc.

Stay safe, my MT friend.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you had an altercation, but glad that you were unscathed. I've dealt with jerks like this before. Not on the same level as you just encountered, I was the one putting the shiny bracelets on them. The one thing I hate to tell you is "watch your back". This type of slug will do just about anything if he thinks he needs to get even. His history seems to dictate this. I seriously hope that there will not be a next time, but if it should occur, just be prepared. Idiots like him respond to only 2 things, serious jail time, which he should get, or a real down home, call the neighbors to watch - *** woopin. :whip: I just hate situations like this, cause there's no easy way to eliminate the problem, especially since he lives next door. Take care..........

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good Luck to you Matt

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The punch hit him square in the solar plexus and knocked him out cold. I was reaching towards his right wrist to perform a wrist lock but he was on his way to the deck. The guy was bleeding out of his ear,
Hi I am just curious on how you knocked him out hitting him in the solar plexus area. Why was he bleeding from the ear. Just like to know what rescue said.

shellie

White Belt
Reaction score
Glad you're ok. I'd be extra cautious(along with your wife) once he gets out.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Most intellegent suggestion to your wife...Yes get a TRO ( temp restraining order)..It's a friggin shame they don't do backround checks BEFORE they sell someone a house..

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are OK Matt and that the police took him away. As far as how you felt afterwards, hell we are adults now. Leave the love of fighting to the young'uns.

Jeff

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt Glad you are fine and do the right thing and press charges on him

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Press charges, temporary restraining order and take some extra precautions for the future.
icon6.gif
Thank goodness you are okay!
icon14.gif

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad you are OK man :) Don't feel bad about it. Better him knocked out and in jail than you in the hospital or possibly morgue.

Keep us updated on what happens... hope things go well!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys,

Since I have been out of the Marine Corps I have not used Martial Skill unless through competition. Screwing around with the buds does not count.

This evening I had to. I had just gotten off the phone with our good pal zDom, went outside to my car.

I have this drunkard neighbor that has a record of beating the snot out of his kids, wife, and mother in law. A few weeks ago he stepped on his wife's foot that just had surgery. This guy is a jerk.

The punch hit him square in the solar plexus and knocked him out cold. I was reaching towards his right wrist to perform a wrist lock but he was on his way to the deck. The guy was bleeding out of his ear, very scary. I quickly pulled the phone out of my pocket and called the police. Luckily I live all of 2 minutes from the police station. They were there before he woke up.

I told them what happened, the cop told me...."Sir, you have an American Flag and Marine Corps standard hanging by your garage. He has a record and you're not in the wrong. Time to take him away."

So he wore shiny bracelets and got to ride in the nifty car.

You know, I absolutely feel bad. The last thing I hate is confrontation, invited or otherwise.

The thing is I love competition, that is one thing that really drives me. I hate fighting, now 3 hours later I still kinda feel like I did something wrong even though I didn't. First time I have had to defend myself, instead of someone else since the early 90's. Who else can identify? Thoughts? Opinions?

I called and talked to Bill Evans and GM about it, there response was, "Are you hurt? We know you, you don't even go to places that invite nonsense, you didn't do anything wrong. Don't worry."

And who said that TMAs don't work.:ultracool Glad you're ok Matt! Its a shame that people have to act like that. I hope everything continues to go well for you!

Mike

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt—you're a Marine and have seen combat, I don't need to tell you to keep up to date on this guy's movements in the future. Pressing charges, absolutely. The fact that the guy has a record might help get him maximum sentence. From what you say, it sounds like he made the first hostile physical contact with you; that counts as assault, no?

How do you get on with your other neighbors—OK? It might not hurt to kind do an informal `Neighborhood Watch' project dedicated to this one jerk when he returns from his stay as a guest of the State—preferably for a good long time...

Glad to hear you were the one who walked away, not him. Don't feel bad about any of it, Matt. This guy is a bully—the lowest form of life there is, in my book. He deserved what happened, and he deserves a lot worse—and I sincerely hope he gets it.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Matt, I'm glad you are ok. I don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been said by follow MTers about watching your back and such.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dang, Matt!

First of all, I'm glad you're okay and I'm also very glad your training kicked in at the right moment. Sounds like you have your ducks in a row, so ... keep on keepin' on!

:asian:

Latest Discussions