Attack or defence

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was talking about this with my son today who's a brown belt in kenpo and a green belt in taekwondo. We were talking about what's more important to learn first attack or defence. Now I trained my son for years before he started training at a school with his friends then decided to do taekwondo as well but we're both different types of fighter he's a very co-ordinated fighter can work well on the inside and use footwork and timing well and has great knowledge of his stances. My styles more agressive move in and out and work the counter and pick off with kicks And we have totally different ideas.

He believes that attack should be the first thing that's taught because you need to know how to put someone away as quid as possible but I think defence is most important to learn first since if you can't defend and you get a hard hit and get knocked out your attack is no good.

Just wondering what others think.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe defense is more important, if an attacker keeps attacking but your defense is solid he will tire himself out. If your attack is strong but his defense is stronger you will tire yourself out.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on the individual and the overall goal for their training.
In general martial art training I tend to develop defensive structures first. For those who want to fight I push aggressive offense first. Then taking the individual...are they confident and have a strong sense of their abilities or do they lack confidence. Do they punch with confidence or do they tend to be a bit shy on punching at someone. If shy I have them do a lot of stand your ground drills where I have a higher level person only defend (no attacking back) while the lower level person work on aggressive punching and kicking attacks. Once they become comfortable with attacking we begin on some defenses and build from there.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stability , base and stance/ posture position.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Footwork.
What if you can't use any footwork, we're talking about real fighting not the ring. What if you're pinned against a wall or surrounded by a few guys or in a tight space like a nightclub

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to be punched on the head should be the highest priority in MA training.
And genitals. :)

For me, defence first. And build up the attack from the defence. But is very much relative to the martial discipline, I guess.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What if you can't use any footwork, we're talking about real fighting not the ring. What if you're pinned against a wall or surrounded by a few guys or in a tight space like a nightclub

You serious?

Then you use footwork to fight from those positions.

@gpseymor there you go another classic example of this weird self defense is so different from fighting that footwork doesn't even exist.

Last edited:
OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You serious?

Then you use footwork to fight from those positions.

@gpseymor there you go another classic example of this weird self defense is so different from fighting that footwork doesn't even exist.
Yeah I'm serious.

I think you should reread it because I never said footwork doesn't exist I said if you're in a tight space you can't bounce around like Ali

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
we're talking about real fighting not the ring
Even if you are pinned to a wall your feet can still move, therefore you have footwork. You don't have the footwork of sparring/sport fighting but you can still move your feet and shift your body weight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even if you are pinned to a wall your feet can still move, therefore you have footwork. You don't have the footwork of sparring/sport fighting but you can still move your feet and shift your body weight.

The wall was the other really strange addidtion. I mean I do MMA.
Half of that is against a wall.

It was like saying to a BJJer "yeah but in the street what would you do if someone put you on your back and tried to submit you?"

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was talking about this with my son today who's a brown belt in kenpo and a green belt in taekwondo. We were talking about what's more important to learn first attack or defence. Now I trained my son for years before he started training at a school with his friends then decided to do taekwondo as well but we're both different types of fighter he's a very co-ordinated fighter can work well on the inside and use footwork and timing well and has great knowledge of his stances. My styles more agressive move in and out and work the counter and pick off with kicks And we have totally different ideas.

He believes that attack should be the first thing that's taught because you need to know how to put someone away as quid as possible but I think defence is most important to learn first since if you can't defend and you get a hard hit and get knocked out your attack is no good.

Just wondering what others think.
it seems a false,dichotomy, if your taking about sports fighting, then they both go together, you need both to play your sport. If its a self defence arguments, then you need both, one to block and the other to put your oppoinent away so you can make your escape.

or to put it another way, any one on its own is more or less useless, unless its,a,drunk who falls over on his own after one punch

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Footwork.
Footwork...yep.
There is far more to footwork than bouncing.
Head movement along with moving the feet and body into differing angles and levels. Shifting the center of gravity from one foot to another at the proper time to cause the opponent to miss on attacks and to have to re-position themselves.
Footwork...yep.

Latest Discussions