Attach personal picture with our post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the end of the subject of teaching. I'll teach any person who wants to learn until they give me a reason not to. @Kung Fu Wang you said about your teachers family getting killed by Japanese soldiers? That's terrible of course but that was a few soldiers not all of Japan. My wife was killed by a drunk hit and run driver from New York....that doesn't mean I have anything against everyone from New York....just that one person.

I can understand the anger towards it but at the end of the day a whole country isn't to blame for a few people's actions. Anyway it's all said and dOne now. Let's leave it there before more any more nastiness comes out.

Peace

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
theres a significant difference between religion, race and nation and country of birth. that makes that far from a universally true statement

it would most definitely be discrimination, but not always or even mostly discrimination based on racism and in this country at least lots of situation where any of those qualities could be a requirement and thus subject to positive discrimination and thus be encouraged as a requirement of the job or reviving a service
True, it would only technically be racist if they were refusing to work with any Caucasians. Like you said though, it still is discrimination.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, it would only technically be racist if they were refusing to work with any Caucasians. Like you said though, it still is discrimination.
its a bit more than that to be honest, there is far from agreement how many races there are and what they maybe

america seems fond of the term Caucasians, but its seldom if ever used here. (they just say white, which is a description of appearance, but not a race) it seems to vary massively in different parts of the world and from one science journal to another

added to which are German people Caucasian ?. some may be other definitely are not.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Discrimination isn't inherently bad. We all discriminate all the time, every time we choose one thing over another because we just like it better that way.

But regarding other things, if it's specifically Germans you are targeting, national origin is a protected base regardless of race.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a restaurant owner has right to serve the customers that he wants to serve, A MA teacher also has right to teach the kind of students that he wants to teach.

In all my teacher's life, he refused to teach Japanese because during WWII, Japanese dropped bomb and killed his family members. The Japanese TV station invited him and offered him a lot of money. He still refused to go. He had traveled all over the world except Japan.

There is no right or wrong, but personal choice.

Actually, there is plenty of right and wrong. What you describe is called racism. It's wrong. It's illegal in the US.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Actually, there is plenty of right and wrong. What you describe is called racism. It's wrong. It's illegal in the US.
Well, it's illegal. Whether it's wrong or not is a matter of opinion. In America, you are free to be as overtly racist as you like, provided you aren't doing so in a way that violates a law. If Americans universally agreed that racism is "wrong" we'd be in a very different place right now. But you can't control what people think, only how they behave. So, if you think racism is hunky dory, we can't stop you. But we can prevent you from acting on your racism in some specific contexts.

For the record, I agree that racism is 'wrong'. But I also believe that at least 40% of our country disagrees with us.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, it's illegal. Whether it's wrong or not is a matter of opinion. In America, you are free to be as overtly racist as you like, provided you aren't doing so in a way that violates a law. If Americans universally agreed that racism is "wrong" we'd be in a very different place right now. But you can't control what people think, only how they behave. So, if you think racism is hunky dory, we can't stop you. But we can prevent you from acting on your racism in some specific contexts.

For the record, I agree that racism is 'wrong'. But I also believe that at least 40% of our country disagrees with us.

Yeah sort of. I can't muster up too much disapproval for some old guy who hates the Japanese because he fought them in a war though either.

Otherwise in Australia ironically racism is a sign of trust. The more overtly racist someone is the more they generally like the guy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah sort of. I can't muster up too much disapproval for some old guy who hates the Japanese because he fought them in a war though either.

Otherwise in Australia ironically racism is a sign of trust. The more overtly racist someone is the more they generally like the guy.
To be clear, I'm not sharing a personal opinion one way or the other. I'm sharing some facts about the USA. The fact here is that folks can be as racist as they want on a personal, individual level. Groups can be racist, too. There may be personal repurcussions and you need to be accountable for your racism, just like anything else. Meaning, you might alienate your family and friends. Ironically, you might lose your job for being an overt racist ("racist" not being a protected class). But you won't run afoul of the law. In fact, what we see often is that the law itself is sometimes overtly racist.

AND, we have protected bases, race being one and national origin being another. So, discriminate as much as you want. Just don't do it as a part of a business, whether that's hiring, promoting, firing, or providing some kind of service (among other things).

As for the trust thing, that sounds sadly familiar.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

and of course he hasnt dropped an A bomb on them either, i know which id prefer

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and of course he hasnt dropped an A bomb on them either, i know which id prefer

And I can't muster up too much disapproval of a Japanese A bomb survivor not liking the Americans too much either.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We've recently had this issue in America with Americans who don't like Muslims because of 9/11, and all sorts of hate crimes that were committed. This is the issue now that's causing riots in Minneapolis. It's simply not okay.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Discrimination isn't inherently bad. We all discriminate all the time, every time we choose one thing over another because we just like it better that way.

But regarding other things, if it's specifically Germans you are targeting, national origin is a protected base regardless of race.
I wasn't making any sort of judgment either way with that post. Like you said, there are plenty of times when discrimination is good, and most of your decisions are based off of our own personal schemas, which are themselves a form of discrimination.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And I can't muster up too much disapproval of a Japanese A bomb survivor not liking the Americans too much either.
yeah, all 8 of them who are still alive.* Small group, but very vocal. :)

* I don't actually know how many there are, but for comedic purposes I used a specific number to highlight the fact that there can't be very many still alive after so many years.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I wasn't making any sort of judgment either way with that post. Like you said, there are plenty of times when discrimination is good, and most of your decisions are based off of our own personal schemas, which are themselves a form of discrimination.
Sorry, responded to your post but had in mind the entire thread of discussion. Wasn't trying to imply anything.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We've recently had this issue in America with Americans who don't like Muslims because of 9/11, and all sorts of hate crimes that were committed. This is the issue now that's causing riots in Minneapolis. It's simply not okay.
9/11 is the issue causing riots in Minneapolis? I missed something.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like wangs instructor certainly qualifies as a bad person.

Racist against Japanese people and has his head so far up his own butt that he refuses to associate with anyone who doesn't train martial arts....and brainwashing people to also believe that garbage....

@Kung Fu Wang your instructors name isn't John Kreese is it?

I'd disagree that he qualifies as a bad person. For the first point, I agree that refusing to teach japanese people is bad. But can make an exception and view it not as him being a bad person because A: his family got blown up by them. People aren't always rational after something like that happens, and can make decisions that go against their ordinary character (you mentioned your wife in another post-It's horrible that your wife died that way, and I'm sorry. But there are two differences here-the first is that (i'm assuming) the person who hit her was not being malicious in doing so, and the second is that people react differently to tragedy). B: Despite his reasoning for being racist against japanese, from what John posted he's not being actively antagonistic with any japanese people.
For the second part, not associating with people who don't train martial arts doesn't make him a bad person. It might make him a kook, but not bad. And I didn't see anywhere where he brainwashed people-he just shared his views and John agrees with them.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Soooooooo... all of that said, what do you guys think? Should racists use their real names and pictures when they post?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd disagree that he qualifies as a bad person. For the first point, I agree that refusing to teach japanese people is bad. But can make an exception and view it not as him being a bad person because A: his family got blown up by them. People aren't always rational after something like that happens, and can make decisions that go against their ordinary character (you mentioned your wife in another post-It's horrible that your wife died that way, and I'm sorry. But there are two differences here-the first is that (i'm assuming) the person who hit her was not being malicious in doing so, and the second is that people react differently to tragedy). B: Despite his reasoning for being racist against japanese, from what John posted he's not being actively antagonistic with any japanese people.
For the second part, not associating with people who don't train martial arts doesn't make him a bad person. It might make him a kook, but not bad. And I didn't see anywhere where he brainwashed people-he just shared his views and John agrees with them.
Agree with all of the above. One other point here to add. So, we talk about "illegal" and such, but what we're really talking about is relative risk. He could be blatantly racist in his policies, but if no japanese people apply to be his students, or more accurately, no one challenges his racist policies, there is no penalty. It's not like the police are going to raid his business and put him in the clink. Rather, he's just opening himself up to potential civil liability should he turn away some folks who choose to sue him as part of a discrimination suit.

Of course, that isn't always someone who has been disadvantaged. Sometimes, a person or group who is not part of the base will shine the spotlight on a policy that they notice, regardless of whether it is actively disadvantaging anyone or not. See this all the time via social media.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i think its possibly less his family being blown up by them that has left a sour taint, so much as the whole sail slaughter of half a million civilians in some of the most barbaric ways imaginable.

id probably be a bit cross if they had fed an infant relative of mine to the dogs and thats rather at the softer end of things

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
i think its possibly less his family being blown up by them that has left a sour taint, so much as the whole sail slaughter of half a million civilians in some of the most barbaric ways imaginable.

id probably be a bit cross if they had fed an infant relative of mine to the dogs and thats rather at the softer end of things
Totally understandable. I'm still really upset at the English for the St. Brice's day massacre.

Status
Not open for further replies.