Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Not one of us" lol sounds like some kind of cult.
That was one of my teacher's favor saying (my MA teacher lived in my house for a long time). Whenever we were talking about somebody, my teacher would say, "He doesn't train MA. He is not one of us." The discussion of that person would stop right there.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
MA is my religion. I like to believe all MA guys are good guys. I believe bad guys don't train MA. Have you ever seen any bad guy spend 30 minutes on horse stance training? I have not.

This is why I always treat new members nicely (include "the true hero of the east"). As long as he can start some interest MA discussion, I can care less who that person is.
You can believe in unicorns and pixies all you like it doesn't make them real. Everyone's entitled to their beliefs of course...but that belief is certainly wrong...

Jon Jones. UFC light heavyweight champion. Charged multiple times with DUI, once hit a pregnant woman then fled the scene, done for drag racing and failed multiple drug tests for steroids.

Conor McGregor. Been involved in numerous cases of sexual harassment and assault and property damage on a fan.

Mike Tyson: convicted rapist and a hell of a lot of other crimes.

A well known kenpo grandmaster who I'm not going to name here. Kicked out his association for drilling a hole in his office wall so he could look inside the women's changing rooms.

Numerous small time instructors who I've seen in passing in martial art magazines charged with being pedophiles.

Numerous guys who I've met who are jerks and bullies who enjoy hurting people.

There's a very large amount of bad people in martial arts

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was one of my teacher's favor saying (my MA teacher lived in my house for a long time). Whenever we were talking about somebody, my teacher would say, "He doesn't train MA. He is not one of us." The discussion of that person will stop right there.
Huh and now you're regurgitating that nonsense. Yeah really starting to sound like a cult to me. One of us? What you mean human? What makes you so special that you can't associate with people who don't do martial arts? Training doesn't make you better than those people far from it. It's not what someone does as their hobby that makes them a good person. It's who they genuinely are as a person and there are some martial artists who are horrible people

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think that spending 30 minutes on horse stance training eliminates your capability of being a scumbag. A few years ago, there was a Taekwondo Master a couple cities away from me that got arrested for molesting teenage students. I don't personally know him, nor did I ever train with him, but I'd be willing to bet that he did a lot of horse stance training.
Yep real life is not like some crappy Kung fu movie where all martial artists are these white knight zen masters who are saints.....I've met some great people in my 40 years in martial arts and I've met some absolute scumbags and those in between. It's the same as religion. People expect priests to be perfect but there's a number of them who have certainly proven not to be so

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep real life is not like some crappy Kung fu movie where all martial artists are these white knight zen masters who are saints.....I've met some great people in my 40 years in martial arts and I've met some absolute scumbags and those in between. It's the same as religion. People expect priests to be perfect but there's a number of them who have certainly proven not to be so

To be fair, I do think that being a martial artist does give most people an outlet for their aggression. I think that the average martial artist is probably a better person because of it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends on how you want to live your live. I prefer to spend my life time with MA people than non-MA people. My wife has BB in TKD.
Okay....I mean that's a bit of a weird and arrogant attitude but whatever

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay....I mean that's a bit of a weird and arrogant attitude but whatever
My attitude almost got me in trouble. When I taught the UT Austin informal Kung Fu class, my poster said, "If you are a golf player, this class may not be for you ..." The UT Austin informal class coordinator told me that I should not have such attitude in public. IMO, most golf players won't like hard training and I was trying to be honest.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My attitude almost got me in trouble. When I taught the UT Austin informal Kung Fu class, my poster said, "If you are a golf player, this class may not be for you ..." The UT Austin informal class coordinator told me that I should not have such attitude in public. IMO, most golf players won't like hard training and I was trying to be honest.

My Dad likes golf. He is 2nd dan TKD and blue belt in Hapkido. He's taking the time to learn staff during quarantine.

I have several students that are in my demonstration team that also play golf.

You're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion seems very narrow minded.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow....you really are full of yourself aren't you. Guaranteed professional golf players work a hell of a lot harder than you or I do. Even if they didn't...what kind of crappy statement is that to make.....I wouldn't go anywhere near a club you're running if that's your attitude...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Dad likes golf. He is 2nd dan TKD and blue belt in Hapkido. He's taking the time to learn staff during quarantine.

I have several students that are in my demonstration team that also play golf.

You're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion seems very narrow minded.
There's a huge number of martial artists who play golf or do other sports. Wow I'm surprised this old school narrow minded thinking really still exists today

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow....you really are full of yourself aren't you. Guaranteed professional golf players work a hell of a lot harder than you or I do. Even if they didn't...what kind of crappy statement is that to make.....I wouldn't go anywhere near a club you're running if that's your attitude...
As a restaurant owner has right to serve the customers that he wants to serve, A MA teacher also has right to teach the kind of students that he wants to teach.

In all my teacher's life, he refused to teach Japanese because during WWII, Japanese dropped bomb and killed his family members. The Japanese TV station invited him and offered him a lot of money. He still refused to go. He had traveled all over the world except Japan.

There is no right or wrong, but personal choice.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a restaurant owner has right to serve the customers that he wants to serve, A MA teacher also has right to teach the kind of students that he wants to teach.

In all my teacher's life, he refused to teach Japanese because during WWII, Japanese dropped bomb and killed his family members. The Japanese TV station invited him and offered him a lot of money. He still refused to go. He had traveled all over the world except Japan.

And we're done.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

That's actually illegal in the USA.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When Jewish group hunt down Nazis, will you call that racism?

Do you know what Japanese soldiers did to Chinese people during WWII?

Just Google "Nanking massacre", you will see all the image pictures of what had happened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.