Atillo

OP
O

ortega1

White Belt
Reaction score
With that same logic if I decided to open up a school would I have the right to teach FMA and JKD who I learned from Dan Inosanto and other instructors? Even though I do not have the same rigor and consistency that Guro Dan has demonstrated.

OP
O

ortega1

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't think Guro Dan is currently under the teachings of Atillo at this time

Robert Klampfer

MCLMM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guru Dan Inosanto teaches JKD. JKD is attributed to Sifu Bruce Lee. Both men have sparred. Can you imagine if one afternoon Guru Dan is having a good day and manages to disarm Sifu Bruce a couple of times, then gets on the internet and proclaims himself the champion of a death match saying his JKD is better than Bruce's AND then says is father in Stockton, CA was actually the one that created JKD. There of course will be an uproar, if you can understand that analogy then you will understand why many people are very passionate about this particular revision of history.

Speaking of Balintawak masters... I think that was a great analogy, Nene. Thanks for that.
:cheers:

Robert

P.S. - Please tell Rick that I say hello.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With that same logic if I decided to open up a school would I have the right to teach FMA and JKD who I learned from Dan Inosanto and other instructors? Even though I do not have the same rigor and consistency that Guro Dan has demonstrated.

It would depend. Did your FMA and JKD instructors both give you permission to teach? If only one did and not the other, then questions could be asked.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For a system with so few practitioners...the lineage battles are amazing!

Is that a suprise though? It's a system that hasn't branched in to familes or in to different ryu (forgive the Japanese term) so lineage becomes very binary.

A discussion boils down to what is, or is not, Balintawak.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For a system with so few practitioners...the lineage battles are amazing!

Arnisador,

I think the issue is that many added their own touch. Others just out and out changed it. Moncal and Maranga ended up changing the name so as to make sure people recognized there were differences.

Even Remy Presas out of respect changed. He was given permission to teach before he left, but asked not to call it Balintawak as remy was also adding in other things from his other training.

So when a student who knows a little bit, and has been told certain things, combined with the self ego of the student that they have to train in the best or why would they spend the time training in it. (* Not like they might actually enjoy the lerning or the movements for itself. *) the student then goes out and makes statements. These statements are not always 100 % true. There might be some truth there might not be any truth. But it always sound so much better to have and know that your instructor has what teh Founder had.