At Home Kenpo Training

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hmmm... how much of another style is required? I hate to say it but I see another sort of can of worms here...

Do you learn the basics of a style? So for example if you learned Yellow and Orange and Purple belt curriculum in a Parker Kenpo lineage, would that be enough? If so, does that merit a jump in Dan Grade in your organization? Or do you need to advance to shodan level in the second style, and that is given a dan grade jump in your org?

Learning any style can be a lifetime endeavor. I personally find it unusual to use that as a ranking requirement for an organization.

more enlightenment, if you will?

In my old dojo, it was required that you earn at least shodan in another style before meeting any of the other qualifications for 5th dan.

I will say again that this is not required of me through KFCI, but I think it would broaden the scope of my experience.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my old dojo, it was required that you earn at least shodan in another style before meeting any of the other qualifications for 5th dan.

I will say again that this is not required of me through KFCI, but I think it would broaden the scope of my experience.

I agree that it will broaden the scope of your experience. I've trained in several systems over the years and I can attest to that. It carries a lot of benefits, as well as some drawbacks, but overall the experiences that I've had have been positive. Ultimately I narrowed my focus to one system that seems to be the best match for me personally, and that is where I spend my energies.

I will just say that I find it an odd requirement for advancement in one system, to say that one must earn rank in another. That's my view, regardless of the benefits that may be derived from the practice itself.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have heard of this before, there are schools outside of Kenpo that require or suggest this for a higher dan rank such as 5th.

Personally I like the way Sandan Chris is going about this as a voluntary challenge. For one, that takes a lot of initiative. I'm a tad queasy about the idea of requiring someone to earn rank in another system...some folks truly do not prefer to cross-train. Others do, and there are definitely benefits.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think I will go with AKLA belt by belt, especially with the amount of resources that are out there and my previous experience, I think I will be able to learn the white-purple material relatively easily! Thank you all for your input!

Chris

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have heard of this before, there are schools outside of Kenpo that require or suggest this for a higher dan rank such as 5th.

Personally I like the way Sandan Chris is going about this as a voluntary challenge. For one, that takes a lot of initiative. I'm a tad queasy about the idea of requiring someone to earn rank in another system...some folks truly do not prefer to cross-train. Others do, and there are definitely benefits.

If this is his personal interest, to study another system, I absolutely agree and wish him well with it. It can be very worth while to spend time studying other systems, even if you eventually abandon them. The benefits from that experience will be worth it regardless.

What makes me uneasy about making it a requirement for rank advancement is that it sort of demotes a separate system to the status of sub-set under some other system. I think that's an inappropriate way of viewing it, and carries a high risk of not treating the material as seriously as it deserves. I see all too often when people try to include too many things under one all-encompassing umbrella, that the individual component systems get neglected and aren't studied for their own merit. They become an add-on, with only a superficial examination. In reality, each of those systems has the depth to stand on its own and should not be seen as a sub-set of an unrelated system.

In my opinion, rank in one system should be all about that one system. The study of any other system, and rank therein, should be a separate issue judged on its own merits, and should not influence further ranking in the first system.

getting off topic here, but that's how I see it.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay another update,

I have decided to study 2 new styles: Shinsei Kenpo and American Kenpo.

Shinsei Kenpo is an eclectic style of AK, SKK, Arnis, BJJ put together by Prof Phil Lewis.
It is an entirely Christian based MA. I will be testing and training via video lessons and
video chat online. www.shepherdwarriors.us

I should be starting AK private lessons in the next couple of weeks with a well qualified
1st generation black belt in the next town over. My goal is to take it slow...
one technique at a time...especially after the seminar this last saturday!!

I have always wanted to learn AK and now I am giving myself the chance!

Thanks for all of your advice and opinions.

Chris

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is Mr. Palanzo. Mr. Palanzo is the president of the WKKA (Worldwide Kenpo Karate Association) and has DVD's for levels 1-3 of the American Kenpo system. I know he does a great job at explaining each technique before he performs it, then does each technique slow before doing it in "real life" speed. I own all three DVD's so I know first hand that Mr. Palanzo is an extraordinary teacher.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is Mr. Palanzo. Mr. Palanzo is the president of the WKKA (Worldwide Kenpo Karate Association) and has DVD's for levels 1-3 of the American Kenpo system. I know he does a great job at explaining each technique before he performs it, then does each technique slow before doing it in "real life" speed. I own all three DVD's so I know first hand that Mr. Palanzo is an extraordinary teacher.

Levels 1-3?

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I am sure that I am not the only one who is unfamiliar with levels 1 - 3 in EPAK. I am aware of the 3 phases of kenpo, but not levels.

Could you please explain what your are referring to in your post? It could be a simple case of semantics. Thank you.

James