At Full Volume - muay korat

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just watched with great excitement the new travel channel show at full volume with johnny colt who was a bassist from the black crowes. It was a really really nice show, it showed different facts of thailand from tattoos to music to muay korat. The muay korat was sweet, and they showed how to translate the movement right into knife fighting. Col Amnat was one of the teachers you might recognize from his two dvds, http://www.ancientmuay.com and http://www.bareknucklemuay.com. Johnny did a light sparring match and got his hand broken by a jump kick to the head, the shin i guess hit him right on the spot of his protecting hand. korat looked simple and direct also it had alot of the head twists and spins that i like in silat and other styles. NOW I am real excited about going to thailand.......

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's very nice! I will try to find the video, I really want to see that one.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I caught the last forty minutes and it was pretty cool.
I liked everything but the talking about the fight at the
end and it really being a light, light, light friendly match.
That is okay just as long as you do not build it up as
a fight/contest. Other than that it was great!
icon6.gif

OP
destructautomaton

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
It was called At Full Volume but it seems the full title is Johnny Colt: At Full Volume. Its not a series but a pilot i think. Sorry muay korat was not part of the title i was just commenting on that part.

I agree and I think the show didnt overstress the fighting, it was just a demonstration type of sparring. The things the show did well was showing other facets like music, tattooing, korat style with a genuine feel free from the exploitation of some other shows. it felt natural.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2139137/johnny_colt_heads_to_thailand_in_the.html?cat=2

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I believe they are reshowing the premiere episode tonight(thurs 9/10) at 11pm eastern time on the travel channel right after bizarre foods.

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hello all:

this was an awesome show!

"You have to kill the lemon. And don't let any lemon hit your face."

~General Amnat Pooksrisuk

~sg

OP
destructautomaton

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
I found out the show is just a pilot so i guess they need to be funded to do more in different countries and places.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to watch the entire show. It showed alot of interesting bits and pieces of various things. I liked the tattooing part but the invisible or oil tattoo had alot of significance beyond what they describe. In the old days, many fighters or warriors tattooed their bodies as displays of spiritual power, many chose to conceal their tattoos by having them tattooed on in oil for protection and strength so the enemy would not know. They also concealed amulets in their belts, in their skin, in rings, virtually anything. The segment with gen amnat was basic for the show and it was more demo then actual fighting. Korat is an excellent system and you can see the easy application over into knife, and various other things. I generally hate these type of shows but it kept me entertained.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just watched the martial arts part. It was OK, but the sparring at the end seemed a bit fixed (despite the real injury).

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, i agree. It wasnt really any sparring, just demoing. Hes a musician who dabbled in muay thai i guess in the states. So they did something more demo like to fill the gap of the show though it wasnt a fighting show per se like fight quest or human weapon, it was a thrill seeker/travel show.

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to watch the entire show. It showed alot of interesting bits and pieces of various things. I liked the tattooing part but the invisible or oil tattoo had alot of significance beyond what they describe. In the old days, many fighters or warriors tattooed their bodies as displays of spiritual power, many chose to conceal their tattoos by having them tattooed on in oil for protection and strength so the enemy would not know. They also concealed amulets in their belts, in their skin, in rings, virtually anything.

Thank you for this explanation, I finally understand why my teacher told me he had a big tattoo on his back but it was invisible! I could guess it was a spiritual thing but that was it.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, he is concealing his power from people. It has a deep significance to warrior culture in thailand. The show really wasnt about the relationship of tattoos to warrior culture so they didnt understand the depth of it.

OP
destructautomaton

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just want to thank the forum members for helping me get directly in touch with general amant, this forum helped me alot to learn about the thai martial stuff and gaining direction in my training. itraded some emails with the general then i got a chance to call and talk to him on the telephone. he was sincere and very nice and very helpful, answered a ton of training q's so hopefully i will get a chance for some training with him when i get to thailand.iwill keep everyone updated on my trip.

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
That would be great, thanks! You are lucky to have this opportunity.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good luck, da. If you need any further help, let us know. General Amnat is a sincere person who truly loves martial arts, he literally consumes whatever he can and its infectious when you are around him.

Latest Discussions