Assist instructor requirement

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never said they were, my point is they enhance your and your students experience in a class. If you are satisfied you know everything and don't want to learn new things then fine, no need for courses.

There was never a time in the past where everyone rode horses. Very few did, rich men will often have but usually had carriages, poor people certainly didn't and in the countryside the horses were farm horses used for ploughing etc as well as pulling carts. People rode them bareback, if they rode them at all. In cities horses would most like be seen pulling carts, Hansom cabs, even trolley buses but rarely ridden. Donkey and goat carts even dog carts were also normal.
The rich who did ride horses for pleasure employed riding masters to teach their families. Middle classes may have had a carriage but didn't ride, keeping horses was and is an expensive thing.
It may be different in your country but in Europe riding horses has always been the preserve of the wealthy who would rarely teach their children to ride, an instructor would be brought in.

Actually, in the US, early on we were very similar. As time progressed, we began to change a bit. Horses could be heavy pullers or plow horses (which might also be used as riding horses or to pull wagons or buggies). Also, as people moved west and cattle began to be a bigger business, the cowboys might get their horses from their employer or might acquire one of their own. They didn't cost as much for upkeep as they ate grass could be turned out to a coral, or rarely, a barn depending on how many needed to be kept.

Of course the above are generalities, since we are a large country with many reasons to ride or not ride horses.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally I do spend a lot of time in the cage lol, I ref and corner so on some fight nights I can spend quite a few hours in the cage. Longer if you count the time putting it up and taking it down. Doing this a lot of weekends does mean that I can spend an inordinate time in the cage. :D

I don't understand what you mean by 'my message'. I don't have any message I was just conversing.

We call it training, perhaps because we are either military or ex military and we say training, 'practising' to us seems less intense as if you are just going over techniques instead of actually using them. When we train we use the techniques on each other we don't go through the motions, we go at about 80%.
So really, to us, practising is going through the motions, like punching in the air that sort of thing whereas training is punching bags properly. Just how we roll. :)

Not saying anything other than that is how we do it.
Fair enough. I use them interchangeably, and the intensity is always up to those doing it. Regardless of the terminology.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I use them interchangeably, and the intensity is always up to those doing it. Regardless of the terminology.

Military terminology is often a mystery to civilians I find.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, in the US, early on we were very similar. As time progressed, we began to change a bit. Horses could be heavy pullers or plow horses (which might also be used as riding horses or to pull wagons or buggies). Also, as people moved west and cattle began to be a bigger business, the cowboys might get their horses from their employer or might acquire one of their own. They didn't cost as much for upkeep as they ate grass could be turned out to a coral, or rarely, a barn depending on how many needed to be kept.

Of course the above are generalities, since we are a large country with many reasons to ride or not ride horses.

Agree, A lot of countries do not realize the expanse of the U.S. from east to west.
There are still a surprising number of people/communities who use horses for All of their work and transportation needs. We have Amish communities near us that still do not use electricity! Can you imagine?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine?

Living where I do I don't have to imagine. We also have draught horses still being used here to deliver beer plus we still have ploughing competitions in the autumn using heavy horses. Here and in Europe horses are often used for forestry work being able to haul felled trees out easier than mechanical transport. In eastern Europe especially horse and carts are still used in the poorer areas where mechanical transport is expensive and the roads basic.
The Wadworth Shires
Working Horses in Forestry - HeavyHorses.org.uk

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agree, A lot of countries do not realize the expanse of the U.S. from east to west.
There are still a surprising number of people/communities who use horses for All of their work and transportation needs. We have Amish communities near us that still do not use electricity! Can you imagine?

I remember my mother and I traveling from the miidwest to California by train just before I joined the US Army. There was a french national who had traveled from the east coast and also going to California. He commented several times how big the USA was. So he got about twice the travel I got. We are a bit large. I once drove across the state of Texas on highway 10. I did try to take it easy and stopped for gas and for food along the way, as well as coffee to stay awake. It took me 26 hours nonetheless.

My grandfather on my father's side, and a couple of my mother's brothers were still farmers using horses to farm with. When we went to visit, it was like entering a time warp. Horse drawn farming equipment, oil lamps, wood stoves for the winter, and my grandmother on my father's side worked magic on a wooden cook stove. Water was captured from rain water from the roof, filtered through charcoal and stored in a cistern. No indoor plumbing, but an outhouse outside, summer or winter. Baths were in a washtub, usually on a Saturday night, whether you needed them or not. :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Living where I do I don't have to imagine. We also have draught horses still being used here to deliver beer plus we still have ploughing competitions in the autumn using heavy horses. Here and in Europe horses are often used for forestry work being able to haul felled trees out easier than mechanical transport. In eastern Europe especially horse and carts are still used in the poorer areas where mechanical transport is expensive and the roads basic.
The Wadworth Shires
Working Horses in Forestry - HeavyHorses.org.uk

I meant to suggest eastern Europe might still use horses, didn't think about the UK. But for a while after WWII, there was a gentleman who used to bring produce door to door and the wives would come out to see what he had that they might want. Not beer though. We had enough saloons to take care to that. The was a joke that there was a church on every corner and a saloon in between. :)

Still I am a bit surprised at the horse use in the UK and in Europe, especially for forestry. Interesting.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still I am a bit surprised at the horse use in the UK and in Europe, especially for forestry. Interesting.

It's something that is gaining rather than declining which is great. People are looking for greener solutions and horses find it easier to navigate forests than large machinery.
Home - British Horse Loggers

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you ever seen people in your part of the world using mules? We have 4-legged loggers here but I think more of them use mules.

We don't see mules these days, I think few people breed them anymore.
There was a recent archeological dig here at Catterick Garrison of the stables used in World War 1 which shipped out hundreds of thousands ( a million were sent out altogether from the UK) of horses to the front line. Most of the horses in the UK were used so they had to send horses from the US, over 250,000 horses died in the war.
A small part of the stables is still standing and used as part of the Garrison Saddle Club, I place I know and have used but didn't know about it's history.
Mules and horses were used in the Second World War but mostly for transport in difficult country, the army still has about 500 horses that are regularly used mostly for ceremonial duties, the police here all have mounted units which are invaluable ( like the canine ones) and of course our racing industry has thousands and thousands of horses! Even in cities you are never far from horses.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We don't see mules these days, I think few people breed them anymore.
There was a recent archeological dig here at Catterick Garrison of the stables used in World War 1 which shipped out hundreds of thousands ( a million were sent out altogether from the UK) of horses to the front line. Most of the horses in the UK were used so they had to send horses from the US, over 250,000 horses died in the war.
A small part of the stables is still standing and used as part of the Garrison Saddle Club, I place I know and have used but didn't know about it's history.
Mules and horses were used in the Second World War but mostly for transport in difficult country, the army still has about 500 horses that are regularly used mostly for ceremonial duties, the police here all have mounted units which are invaluable ( like the canine ones) and of course our racing industry has thousands and thousands of horses! Even in cities you are never far from horses.
When we I was young we had two fields cleared for pasture totaling about 40 acres. The loggers used mules and watching the team work is some of my best memories. The logger (Dinky Donegan) could lead the team to where they were cutting and then back out to where they were loading (about a 100 yards) ONE time and the team could do it without being led the rest of the day! It was incredible to see the mules know what to do if a log got hung on a stump. They would stop themselves move over to get the log off the stump and start pulling again. If they got too tired they simply stopped for a bit then started again. Dink could be 25 yards away and "Gee or Haw" them at ease. It was a thing of beauty to watch.

There are still several mule pulling contest in our area, mostly around fair time in the fall. Good times.

Latest Discussions