Aspiring MMA fighter dies after fight at party

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Apparently this 19 yr old got into it with a 27 yr old family man at a party. Both were in their cups and the younger man died of brain injuries recieved after being on the reciving end of a few good punches. People are saying the survivor was not the type to ever get into a fight, but he does have a police record for battery. This is one of many reasons I don`t like dealing w/ drunks.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...iring-ultimate-fighter-at-zephyrhills/1182223

Is it too soon to make a "Gingers have no souls" joke?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apparently this 19 yr old got into it with a 27 yr old family man at a party. Both were in their cups and the younger man died of brain injuries recieved after being on the reciving end of a few good punches. People are saying the survivor was not the type to ever get into a fight, but he does have a police record for battery. This is one of many reasons I don`t like dealing w/ drunks.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...iring-ultimate-fighter-at-zephyrhills/1182223

Is it too soon to make a "Gingers have no souls" joke?

maybe a bit early for the joke...
but certainly a lesson, there is always somebody bigger and badder around the corner....

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"While drinking alcohol may fuel fights, it doesn't necessarily change the threshold of injury that a body can withstand, according to Ciesla". (Dr. David Ciesla, medical director of the trauma center at Tampa General Hospital)"

Now that doctor's sentence is a keeper!

This event made me remember an Okinawan Karate folk-saying to the effect:

When you are in a room full of people drinking, you are in a room full of enemies.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is so sad, and why I so consistently advise avoiding combat if at all possible. Just walk away. I get Tim Larkin's newsletter and this week had a similar story of a middle aged man being paralyzed in a bar fight gone to far. It's so sad. Remember the hockey dad? One punch to the neck, the other guy falls over dead. We're so fragile. I hate when I see martial arts instructors advocating throwing your weight around. Somebody gives you lip, "stand up to them." Somebody's being a problem, "take care of it." Don't take care of it. Just get away. Just go home. Only fight if you must, never if you mustn't. You mustn't.

I can't imagine making some stupid mistake and losing my life or killing another. Losing my wife forever? People think violence is silly or fun or it will make them feel better. It won't. Just go home. The first rule is survive.

-Rob

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drunks only have on switches with the off switch hard to find. Except in this case, lessons to be learned.

Latest Discussions