As 2017 draws to a close...

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say you can tell your wife you’re researching for work when she’s “reminding” you to take out the garbage, clean up, etc.; but that’s not going to fly anymore because she’s here too.

Is there no place safe anymore? :)
Pish and tosh, I say. Instead of reminding about the garbage and cleaning (after the first reminder), I remind him there is only one person in this house who knows how to make borshch, pirozhki, and genuine Ukrainian pickles, how to roast a duck or a Cornish game hen, and how to grow stuff without killing it. He knows if he wants ANY of that again, that garbage had better be on the curb pronto. ;-)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks!

After my Yorkie Yaya (2 lb 6 oz) died on 4/20/2017, my wife got 3 Yorkies - Jaja (3 lb 8 oz), Bandit (3 lb 4 oz), and Cowboy (2 lb 3 oz). It's always safe by number. These 3 dogs cost me $8,000. This remind me when I dated 3 girlfriends at the same time, when one girl left me, it won't hurt my feeling that much.

In 2018, the 10 miles Pismo Beach Preserve hiking trail will be open. The trail head is only 1/2 miles from my house. I can walk over there without driving. With nice ocean view, I'm really looking forward to it. If I can walk 10 miles daily, I should be able to maintain my health.

Bandit_Cowboy.jpg

Pismo_Beach_Preserve.jpg

So sorry for the loss of your little four-legged friend. Glad you had some new additions to the family. They are beyond adorable. I love yorkies - they are smart, tough, and utterly fearless.

The trail looks truly amazing.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Whoa.... I got told about that "thin-retina" thing too, after I started seeing flashes and got a whole lot of vitreous floaters in my left eye --kinda like a snow globe but filled with black soot strands instead of glitter. The risk factor has something to do with being really near-sighted. But the doc didn't tell me to stop MA or any other activity. Besides if I go blind, there's always the tactile senses we train in chi-sau. Also, I've got huge ears and they work OK except for the tinnitus. And I have a good sense of smell, if that helps?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mhNy2IhGkNs/U8OKHZNhhZI/AAAAAAAACfg/tcmLPJ8b47o/s1600/KLUKE-anniv.jpg

As far as the kids go, my son is doing well in college in Seattle, while my daughter blew off her scholarship a couple of years back and is working as a waitress. This year she got really depressed and I was seriously worried about her, but more recently has pulled things together, found some new friends and is doing great right now. Both kids have been spending time with us over the holidays. :) So here's to a great 2018! :woot:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Whoa.... I got told about that "thin-retina" thing too, after I started seeing flashes and got a whole lot of vitreous floaters in my left eye --kinda like a snow globe but filled with black soot strands instead of glitter. The risk factor has something to do with being really near-sighted. But the doc didn't tell me to stop MA or any other activity. Besides if I go blind, there's always the tactile senses we train in chi-sau. Also, I've got huge ears and they work OK except for the tinnitus. And I have a good sense of smell, if that helps?

Technically I was not told to stop, But I was told that the risk was high. I went through the detached retina thing twice with the right eye. First time was a total detachment and they were shocked that I could see as well as I did out of it. Then it happened again in the same eye. My job depends on me seeing and I have to keep this job for about 9 more years. I can't even look at an computer screen with the right eye anymore. If my left gets as bad my career is over. I simply cannot afford to have that happen.

Besides, I am not stopping MA, just not doing JKD, and likely will not return to Xingyiquan, But I will still be taijiquan

tubby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
started the year half way thru chemo. then had extensive blood clots and finally had my stoma reversed mid year. finished year with 2nd dan grading and my youngest son getting his yellow belt.

hoping to get back into tkd competition in the fat and old groups this year.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
started the year half way thru chemo. then had extensive blood clots and finally had my stoma reversed mid year. finished year with 2nd dan grading and my youngest son getting his yellow belt.

hoping to get back into tkd competition in the fat and old groups this year.

I feel your pain. Spent fully half the year on FMLA. Had a radical neck dissection for tonsil cancer followed by chemo and radiation. Blood clot the full length of my left leg.
Finished chemo and radiation the end of July. Back at work in the ER the first of September. Certified to skydive in October. Moo Duk Kwan taekwondo 4th Dan November 11.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
2017 was a great year for me personally and professionally. I went through a law enforcement academy again at 50 and got back into the field and I am enjoying every minute of it! So many good things happened that there are to many to list. So Happy New Year to you all and I hope each and every one of you is blessed! ;)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah wow, sounds like 2017 was great for some and horrible for others, my thoughts and well wishes to all who've had a rough year.

Mine was quite an intense and very rough year... from midyear being rushed to emergency 5 times all up, multiples scans, ultrasounds, tests and two CT scans, doctors just scratching their heads not knowing what it was, was incredibly difficult and scary. It was just the uncertainty of it all really. I had to just do my own research as I wasn't getting any answers. Luckily it wasn't life threatening, was pelvic floor tension myalgia (chronic pelvic pain syndrome), which can cause a whole host of very bizarre, strange and incredibly painful and uncomfortable symptoms (one of the worst was the feeling of being kicked downstairs, but that horrible feeling not going away at all, for three odd weeks or so... not to mention sharp pelvic pain, spasms in all sorts of places too). Booked into the pelvic pain clinic and luckily it can be treated, but it will take quite some time before am pain-free. But it has really forced me change my relationship with everything and relax everything deeper. I reached lows that I hadn't gone to in a very long time.. so definitely had alot to process and work through internally.

Even though I've had a break from dojo training last year, this happening has really put a halt on things anyway, but I am really super keen to get started in training again in a new style this year. Will have to just pace myself I guess.

Otherwise in 2017:
-performed in a karate demo with my old dojo buddies at a festival
-entered two all styles martial arts tournaments, placed well
-went back to old dojo just to help out assisting teaching the kids classes, really enjoying that
-learned aLOT about myself

Hopefully in 2018:
-first and foremost recover from this 'thing'
-plan to train at a bunch of different places, one month each or so to get a feel for the dojo, style and instructor
-might compete again, really enjoyed the experience
-would love to attend as many seminars as I can that welcome all styles or just karate
-continue spiritual direction, delve deeper into things and continue the inner work, really place a priority on this

I wish all you guys all the love, joy and peace for the new year :)

Latest Discussions