Army combatives

OP
E

EddieB

I didn't realise I replied to a 3 year old post. Hope it's still relevant. According to his web site, he's "only" a 10th dan in Bujinkan as of 1996.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
D Dempsey said:
One of the guys I train with here at Ft. Bliss entered the tournament at Benning. He didn't do to well but said it was a lot of fun. From what he told me the guys who won their weight classes were both pro-fighters. I'm competing in a combatives tournament tomorrow morning at Ft. Bliss. I don't think we'll have any pro's here though.
-David Dempsey-

Good luck! :partyon:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
I know this thread is over 2 yrs old, but is this for real, or a typo?

As I understand it, in the Bujinkan there are 5 honorary grades above 10th degree black belt and these are often translated into English as 11th through 15th degree black belts. Technically, they're 10th degree plus an additional honor of some sort.

Hey, Judo goes to 12.

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I completly lost form points. I didn't really understand the scoring and some of the rules were different then I was used to in BJJ. It was still fun though. Hopefully I do better in the July tournament. That one is using pancrase rules.

OP
J

Josh

man. Our Army training stinks. And the Modern American thinking stinks!!

They FORCE people to join their "military" and then make do all these Lame techniques that probably won't even work in a real situation, but most of all, because you can't force someone to fight for their country and expect them to do well.

They need to teach their sergeants about real Combat. They can't train for EVERY situation.

That's crazy!!! Leveling up in the "Army BJJ and Tae Kwon Do Program"???

If a Belt doesn't matter in civilian life, why should it in the Army?

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Josh said:

They FORCE people to join their "military" and then make do all these Lame techniques that probably won't even work in a real situation, but most of all, because you can't force someone to fight for their country and expect them to do well.

They need to teach their sergeants about real Combat. They can't train for EVERY situation.

Last time I checked neither myself or anyone else in the military was forced to join. It's all voluntary. Army combatives are taught to build confidence and morale, plus the competitive nature of it makes it fun to do. It actually doesn't have a whole lot of do with modern combat.

Are you in the Army? If you're not why do you even care how it chooses to conduct it's training?

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Hey, Judo goes to 12.

The Kodokan truly only recognizes up to Judan (10th). Only 15 men have been promoted to 10th dan under the Kodokan since the inception of Judo in 1882. Prof. Kano was posthumously awarded Junidan (12th), in recognition of his founding Judo. No one else can be promoted higher than Judan.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Josh said:

Pick up a weapon and stand at post, otherwise I would rather you just said "thank you" and be on your way.....wait a minute...just read the profile...18 yrs old explains it. :rolleyes:

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor (Pedro Sauer) is the head Gracie Jiu Jitsu program director for the US Army. all of his affiliates are sub-contracted as well. They typically have 3-5 day seminars, each day learning the most basic techniques, but the most effective ways of applying them.

Latest Discussions