Arm drags - how to prevent a situation where you are both running around in circles?

Hawk79

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi there,

I think i'm pretty good at catching people in arm drags. The problem is, that once I catch them I end up in a situation where my opponent is at a 90 degree angle to me. In other words I am looking directly at the side of their face. From there, they try and run around to get to my back while I also end up running around trying to get to their back.

Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

Several times I have ended up being hip thrown after successfully catching someone in an arm drag.

It often seems like the arm drag if giving opportunities to my opponent.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To counter an arm drag is easy. When your opponent uses arm drag on you, he just gives you a free contact point (your arm will be next to his body). You can put your leading leg behind his leg and apply "body squeeze" on him.

When your opponent uses circular footwork, you use straight line footwork and cut in front of him.

cut_in_circle.jpg

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi there,

I think i'm pretty good at catching people in arm drags. The problem is, that once I catch them I end up in a situation where my opponent is at a 90 degree angle to me. In other words I am looking directly at the side of their face. From there, they try and run around to get to my back while I also end up running around trying to get to their back.

Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

Several times I have ended up being hip thrown after successfully catching someone in an arm drag.

It often seems like the arm drag if giving opportunities to my opponent.
Christian spends a lot of time covering entry from outside range, timing and leading opponent to arm drag takedown.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stick your head in to the side of their head so you block them

Latest Discussions