Arm Chasing

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you chase your opponent's

- head, you will hurt him, and go to jail for it.
- arm, you will disable his arm, ask him if he is willing to stop, both may live in peace, and live happy ever after.

Of course you want to chase your opponent's arms because it will give you trouble. It's always a good idea for "arm chasing".

Your thought?

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you chase your opponents arm, and he chases your head before you catch his arm, what happens?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you chase your opponents arm, and he chases your head before you catch his arm, what happens?
This is why you have to protect your centerline. You have to put your arms in your opponent's striking path. If he wants to punch at your head, his arms have to deal with your arms first.

This concept is different from the boxing guard. It's more like the sword fight.

Japanese_sword_fight.png

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is why you have to protect your centerline. You have to put your arms in your opponent's striking path. If he wants to punch at your head, his arms have to deal with your arms first.

This concept is different from the boxing guard. It's more like the sword fight.

Japanese_sword_fight.png
So, not just arm chasing, but forcing an arm fight?

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The technique is definitely applicable. Granted the matrix video is a bit overly dramatic, but I like what Bas does with it. Multiple systems use this technique, it's great because it can bridge into so many different things. It's a setup for a throw, sweep, control, possible break or hyper extension, striking, etc. It's good to train different follow up techniques from there.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Always defend the center. Keep the right distance. Watch the opponent's core, not his or her eyes or face. Movement always starts at the core. Move offline instead of straight forward or back, take the angles you see. The time to attack is when the opportunity presents itself. Sometimes you have to take a hit to give a hit; the key is to take the hit and give the hit on your terms. Some attacks do not have to be defended; learn to judge what can and cannot hurt you, ignore feints unless you intend to get your opponent to react to your reaction and are ready for his counter. Proper body movement is of more importance than speed, breathing is as well. Proper body mechanics are of more importance than strength. Balance, always balance. Keep your balance, take theirs.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

- arm, you will disable his arm, ask him if he is willing to stop, both may live in peace, and live happy ever after.

Of course you want to chase your opponent's arms because it will give you trouble. It's always a good idea for "arm chasing".

Your thought?
I don't need to go to jail for hurting people. It just needs to be the minimum damage needed to stop the aggression or threat. A head punch may be fine. :) Furthermore, if there is no visible damage (like open hand), one can claim that just pushed the other guy.

I never chased like this. Much easier (faster, no risk) just grabbing something (clothes, thin arm...). A low cost and rewarding thing. Just hard to apply on fat guy in t-shirt.

webmaster786

White Belt
Reaction score
It's good to fight in this mode. The arms are the most operative part of the body in the fight. That's why, attacking and manipulating opponent's arms is an effectual way to end up a fight in the right way without taking risks and hitting an opponent's head. Arm hits in self-defense do not generally disturb the respiratory system, as compared to strike on the throat or a choking technique.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It really depends of the scenario. Sometimes if the arm presents itself to me I may strike it if its the optimal target to hit at that time. In Wing Chun we have a saying "Chase the centreline, not the hands." but people tend to over think this and see it as a rule, when its merely a suggestion. A broken arm or bruised bicep will cause pain which could aid your chances in winning.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Your thought?

I agree with you in theory, but not in practice. The fact is, a fight is very dangerous, and each and every time you do it you risk serious injury or death. In that light, I think it's best to go whole hog. Their may be consequences later such as you describe, but your odds of being alive and unmaimed to face such consequences goes up.

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
i don't like the term 'chase' chasing anything means you are forgetting something else.

take what is offered, head, arm, fingers whatever is there

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i don't like the term 'chase' chasing anything means you are forgetting something else.

take what is offered, head, arm, fingers whatever is there
You

- "chase" something that you want.
- "ignore" something that you don't want.

Many girls may want to be your girlfriend. But you may only be interested in one girl - the one you are chasing.

In theory, you should be good on everything. In reality, you may only be good in few things. If your right hand can punch harder than your left, you want to chase the opportunity that your right hand can land on your opponent's head. Sometime even if the chance for your left punch is given to you, you may just ignore it.

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
Many girls may want to be your girlfriend.

I have no experience of this so i'll take your word for it :)

Sometime even if the chance for your left punch is given to you, you may just ignore it.

I have to disagree with this, if i can land anything i will land it. i am not going to pass up a chance to finish an opponent. There may not be another one

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with this, if i can land anything i will land it. i am not going to pass up a chance to finish an opponent. There may not be another one
Even if that sets you up to be hit? Sometimes it's a good idea to pass up a chance to hit, because the trade-off isn't worth it.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
not my cup of tea. if there is a reason for me to be fighting you, there is a reason for me to take you out...on a permanent basis.
1" option .... double tap to center mass.
2nd option ....shut down the computer system via the head
3rd option ...fists, knees and feet to center mass

i look at a fighting person as a punching bag with a couple of appendages sticking out of it. break and push past the arm garbage and go for an "option" (see list above)

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if there is a reason for me to be fighting you, there is a reason for me to take you out...on a permanent basis.
When I was young, I always cut my opponent's head off at the end of the fight. A body without head cannot get back up. I learned that from the "Friday the 13th" movie. I then found out that the earth population had dropped big time. Today, I don't kill any more.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with you in theory, but not in practice. The fact is, a fight is very dangerous, and each and every time you do it you risk serious injury or death. In that light, I think it's best to go whole hog. Their may be consequences later such as you describe, but your odds of being alive and unmaimed to face such consequences goes up.
i agree with your,sentiment, but I've been on the wrong side of this, where what could have been a bit of a bralw, ended up with 6 months of legal nightmare and a,GBH charge, as i decided i was making sure he didn't get up again. UK law, is very much dependent nt on the amount of damage you cause rather than how you do it. It's prudent to only cause as much damage as you actually need, to make good your,escape and that is very close to the legal justification for your defence.

as soon as there are broken bones involved, it can get very awkward justifying it

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
Even if that sets you up to be hit? Sometimes it's a good idea to pass up a chance to hit, because the trade-off isn't worth it.

well, OK in the chaos of a fight many things can happen and this leads to general statements usually being wrong when put into another. When i said i wouldn't pass up the chance to hit with my left, i meant rather than wait for a opportunity for my right.

it could be argued i guess that the word 'opportunity' implies safe opportunity. however, yes you make a valid point, i don't promote hitting carelessly with the right or the left. My option to hit or not is not based on whether i can use my left or my right hand but on may other things.

just to clarify, when i am discussing this i am referring to self protection situation rather than sport sparring

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, OK in the chaos of a fight many things can happen and this leads to general statements usually being wrong when put into another. When i said i wouldn't pass up the chance to hit with my left, i meant rather than wait for a opportunity for my right.

it could be argued i guess that the word 'opportunity' implies safe opportunity. however, yes you make a valid point, i don't promote hitting carelessly with the right or the left. My option to hit or not is not based on whether i can use my left or my right hand but on may other things.

just to clarify, when i am discussing this i am referring to self protection situation rather than sport sparring
With that qualification, I'm in agreement. If an appropriate opportunity presents for my off-hand (I'm right-handed, so that'd be my left), I'll take it. You never know when another will show, so no sense wasting it.

Latest Discussions