Are your classes physically tough?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
We're definately not in it for the money.....

We don't have any children in our classes...it's all adults.

I've had students go outside to throw up after the warm up.

My instructor's instructo'rs motto is "If you don't leave class with at least one bruise then you didn't learn anything."

Actually....we all compare bruises as kind of "medals of honor." LOL

There have been occasions where blood is drawn, people are knocked unconcious, or worse....

....I'd say they're tough.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We're definately not in it for the money.....

We don't have any children in our classes...it's all adults.

I've had students go outside to throw up after the warm up.

My instructor's instructo'rs motto is "If you don't leave class with at least one bruise then you didn't learn anything."

Actually....we all compare bruises as kind of "medals of honor." LOL

There have been occasions where blood is drawn, people are knocked unconcious, or worse....

....I'd say they're tough.

Hey, I got a bruise tonight! It was because I was being a dummy and didn't put on my shinguards though ;) I blocked a kick with my shin - ouch. It's still throbbing.

Of course we don't do Kenpo so contact is minimal except in sparring.

I haven't thrown up yet. I try to stay hydrated throughout the day and make sure I eat enough. Sometimes, heatstroke is a concern to me.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have a "fun" exercise we often do at the end of class that combines a bunch of things in one.

From choon bee, we stretch out our arms in front and prepare to do squats. On the way up, though, we do a front kick. Squat down again, and come up kicking with the other leg. Rinse and repeat about ten times, then make the kicking part ahp chago yup chagi, with the same leg. Again, rinse and repeat ten times. Then add a dwi chagi to the end, with the same leg.

The other variation involves doing e dan yup chagi as we come up from the squats. Oh yeah, it keeps up your heart rate. :D

F

foggymorning162

I depends on the class although we don't have hell week we do focus on conditioning in some classes the idea is to teach the student how, then you do it on your own our warm ups are to prevent injury we warm up then stretch then learn. The Grand Master doesn't even do that he only teaches black belts over 17 and he feels by then you should know enough to come to his class ready he's not a personal trainer. Then again doing kicks up and down the floor for an hour can be very draining, also classes were we focus on throws can make you pretty sore the next day although usually it tricks you and waits a day to say hah here I am. We do not push a student especially in the adult class( we should all know our own limits and push ourselves to them you only get out what you put in) new students need to learn how to land properly before they can be thrown. Injuries need to be considered. I myself have psioriatic arthritis( kind of like rheumatoid) sometimes I can hang with the big boys sometimes not so much.

Latest Discussions