Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spir·it·u·al

/ˈspiriCH(əw)əl/

adjective

adjective: spiritual

of, relating to, or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

"I'm responsible for his spiritual welfare"

synonyms:

nonmaterial, incorporeal, intangible; More

Thanks, guess I should have said my soul had been bleeding for decades. Incorporeal in this sense is just clueless to the possibilities of being. Hence why I got barracked on another site. One day when my bones have turned to dust, I won't need that dust :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen this movie? What's your opinion on this from your religious point of view?

So basically Professor John Oldman gave the idea that he was Jesus. That would be nuclear can of worms to say the least. It would suggest that Jesus was not just a man after all. MT rules allow me to woose out at this point though, but it was just a film, and not being a devout man myself, the premise would contradict religious doctrine. Whatever the viewpoint or whatever faith. I will have to watch it, if only for the stellar cast and premise.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It always amazed/amused me that people of one religion bash people of a different religion. Even more so that some people of no religion bash people of any religion. Why would they even care?

I'm so glad we Martial Artists don't do that. :)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It always amazed/amused me that people of one religion bash people of a different religion. Even more so that some people of no religion bash people of any religion. Why would they even care?

I'm so glad we Martial Artists don't do that. :)
I put myself firmly in the unbeliever / heretic camp. I hesitate to use the term atheist, because atheist suggests aggression and militance, and I never talk about it, this is literally the first time. Even without talking about it, I've heard enough belief-based argument to last a lifetime. It's a personal thing, and I agree that what one person believes on a personal level should not affect anyone else at all. But it does, for example in the cases of and not limited to:

Gay marriage
Abortion
Personal nutrition / diet
Cartoons depicting the prophet

When people feel the urge to give me their unsolicited opinions on these and similar matters, I end the conversation politely. I prefer to concentrate on finding things we have in common as human beings.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've noticed on Facebook more and more 'atheist' attacks on people's religions, all religions not just one. It does seem like there is such a lot of hatred for anyone who has a faith,

That may have something to do with the way atheists suffered from unimaginable torture, false imprisonment and persecution over the centuries at the hands of religious fundamentalists. Even today there are 12 countries where being an atheist is punishable by death.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may have something to do with the way atheists suffered from unimaginable torture, false imprisonment and persecution over the centuries at the hands of religious fundamentalists. Even today there are 12 countries where being an atheist is punishable by death.

Sadly enough that not supprising.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
My answer is still the same as it was in post #16 but I came accorss this the other day and found it interesting that applies to a belief in God.

Blaise Pascal's Wager

There are a lot of arguments for and against his wager, and I am not making any statement with this, I just found it interesting and somewhat applicable to this thread

Calling Pascal's bluff:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are hardly the only ones though. Many millions of people have been tortured, imprisoned and killed for their beliefs, for their sexuality and their ideas, why in particular are some and I repeat some atheists now being so vindictive and hurtful?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
They are hardly the only ones though. Many millions of people have been tortured, imprisoned and killed for their beliefs, for their sexuality and their ideas, why in particular are some and I repeat some atheists now being so vindictive and hurtful?
There are unpleasant people in every group, like people who believe other people (whom they openly tell) should be tortured by fire for all eternity in Hell simply for not believing as they do.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are unpleasant people in every group, like people who believe other people (whom they openly tell) should be tortured by fire for all eternity in Hell simply for not believing as they do.

Of course but is there any reason why some atheists are being particularly nasty now?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, like I said There are a lot of arguments for and against his wager, and I am not making any statement with this, I just found it interesting and somewhat applicable to this thread.

Me too. Quite compelling if a lil bit same old, same old.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just as many would say that we are already actually in Hell. I got told something like that by a church leader. Think I pretty much laughed my socks off and got sent back to school :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course but is there any reason why some atheists are being particularly nasty now?

Or some Muslims? Or some Christians?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score

Probably the same reason some believers in myths are being particularly nasty now too. It is the age of reason and old institutions are not giving up their privilegies without a fight. Odin, Thor, Frigg and Freya still hears whomever calls upon them of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions