Are women better at kicks than men?

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Ironbear24, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

Actually this is false. IQ tests have been shown to be skewed in recent years to help women score higher since they've consistently scored lower.

Your theory of how society became male dominated doesn't do anything to debunk the idea that men can dominate women because men are the stronger sex. Yes, women had to care for babies. So? This allowed men to take control. If men wanted, they could easily oppress women again today.

"You're trying really hard to assert that men are better." Did you not read my previous comment? What I'm doing is throwing out rhetorical questions and examples to show anyone can say either sex is better. I was replying to the person who said women are better to show how ridiculous and sexist that statement is. Unless you are sexist too and think women are better, there's no need to reply to me.

2. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    What you call "skewing" can also be called "fixing so it's not gender-biased". If we look at cognitive performance, there's no strong evidence that men outperform women, and since IQ is intended to measure cognitive potential, adjusting it so the scores reflect cognitive performance without a gender bias is not "skewing".

Men are, in fact, the physically more muscular gender. I've never said otherwise. You entered this discussion with a list of reasons why men were "better" than women. That has nothing to do with muscular strength. And male dominance of society also had nothing to do with men being "better". In fact, it's most likely that men are stronger for the same reasons that they came to dominate society. In other words, they didn't dominate because they were stronger - they got stronger (evolutionarily) because they were the hunters and fighters, and they dominated society because those hunter and fighter roles lead to a control of wealth and power. Sure, physical strength played into that, but wealth and power were the real factors.

3. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

Not really, as men evolved to be the physically stronger/dominant sex long before they gained "wealth and power," as you described it. Male primates are stronger than female primates as well, and this is true with most mammal species. It has nothing to do with men's wealth and power. We evolved this way long before we even developed advanced communication or basic government.

Now with that being said, are we done here? Like I said above, this was just a silly list to show how I can just as easily say men are better than women. It was to show how childish it is to say one gender is better than the other. I'll say it again: if you don't think women are better than men, then you essentially agree with my point and don't need to respond to me.

Edit: If you really want to keep an argument going though, feel free to respond to the original sexist ommenter I responded to who claimed women were better than men. Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Red Sun

Red Sun Green Belt

Who cares about brute strength?

For example: I wouldn't plan on hunting a deer by punching, kicking, or RNC'ing it :bear:
    I'll snap a stick in half and stab it to death, while my hunting companion(s) keep it from running away.
    If we get into the role of running ability in primitive hunting, and the development of bows/traps/etc...

I'd be more inclined to believe the gender roles in hunting/gathering were a cultural thing. It makes sense for the male body to be made for head-to-head combat, while both genders are built for basic survival (...i may be 100% wrong.)

Our ancestors kept us alive. Now we have the luxury of equal opportunities. Thx Ancestors!
    (PS: I know this looks a bit scatterbrained. Its an edited down wall of text.)

5. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

I see where you're coming from but brute strength will always be one of the, if not the, most important factor in life or death fights. There's a reason the UFC, boxing, etc. separates fighters based on weight class and gender.

6. Red Sun

Red Sun Green Belt

I'm afraid this is not a matter of opinion.

[​IMG]
    Shocking video shows the moment knife-wielding woman stabs ‘cheating husband’ after chasing him down a busy street

Pregnant woman who stabbed husband in jugular 'a violent individual'
    Wife bites, stabs husband with scissors after he drinks her beer

[​IMG]

GRAPHIC PICS: Wife stabs husband as he makes shock confession during SEX

I can do this all day.
    The assailant has the advantage~ :bear:

EDIT: Oh, and there's these amazing videos:

Police knife attack: Homeless woman caught on tape cutting cop's throat, gets acquitted

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  7. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

Oh wow, what was I thinking? Thanks for letting me know women are capable of stabbing men. I didn't know that was possible *sarcasm*.

First of all, I was referring to fights without weapons involved. Especially not ones where the person with the weapon sneak attacks the victim. Tell me where I said it was impossible for a woman to spontaneously stab a man. Give me a break.

Secondly, what do any of your examples prove? For every case where a woman stabbed a man, I can find 10 times as many where a man beat a woman to death with his bare hands.

Here are just a few (3 with bare hands, one with a bat):

Man accused of beating wife to death with bat
    Man charged in Back of the Yards beating death of woman
    Woman beaten to death in random attack at CVS, police say
    Police: Woman beaten to death in Kensington

I think I proved my point. I can go on.

So yeah, strength and size will always be the biggest determining factors in a life or death fight (assuming no weapons are used). Thanks!

8. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

I see you disagreed with my comment. That's totally fine and I respect that. But what I said about primates and other mammals is 100% true and backed by science, so I'm not sure how you can disagree. Feel free to disprove what I said though. Not to mention, I've said over and over again, my only point I was trying to make is that it's stupid and incorrect to say women are better than men. That's the only reason I even responded to the original comment saying that. You seriously disagree that women aren't better than men? If so, I respect your opinion, but that's a little sexist lol.

9. Jenna

Jenna Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    1. SOME men are better than SOME women at SOME things.
    2. SOME women are better than SOME men at SOME things.

I do not imagine we can argue it can ever be possible to replace 'SOME' with 'ALL' in any of these instances??

Best we can have is generalisation & exception no?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Red Sun

Red Sun Green Belt

It was my pleasure.

I'd be happy to:

"I see where you're coming from but brute strength will always be one of the, if not the, most important factor in life or death fights."

So, are you saying it's only a life and death fight if there are no weapons or ambushes or unfair advantages?

I'm glad you asked!

"The assailant has the advantage~ :bear:"

My examples (...as well as your examples) prove that physical strength isn't as decisive as a weapon, or surprise, or an unfair advantage.

Of course, there's no accounting for people who couldn't fight to save their lives (...a unisexual issue.)

So, we know size and strength are relevant factors in a 1v1 fistfight to the death. As long as there are no weapons, no ambushes, and no other unfair advantages, you're right!

I'll leave it to someone else to factor in physical skill, if they feel like it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  11. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

Exactly. Men tend to be better at strength-dependent activities and jobs like fighting and blue collar work, while women tend to be better at caring and nurturing for others like being mothers. Men, on average, have better spatial comprehension. Women, on average, have better communication skills. This should be obvious to most people that men and women have strengths in different areas, yet the person I originally responded to said women were better at everything except strength which he claimed didn't even matter. Not to mention he provided no evidence to back his claim that women are better at "everything." I'd respond to him if you get a chance. His name was Bill and he posted on the first page. Thanks!

12. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

"So, are you saying it's only a life and death fight if there are no weapons or ambushes or unfair advantages?"

Did you skip the part where I said I was referring to life and death fights without weapons? Maybe read over that again. But actually, yes, size and strength are still very relevant, even with weapons present. Maybe they aren't the most important anymore when a weapon is introduced, but they're still up there, my friend.

"My examples (...as well as your examples) prove that physical strength isn't as decisive as a weapon, or surprise, or an unfair advantage.

Of course, there's no accounting for people who couldn't fight to save their lives (...a unisexual issue.)"

Thanks for pointing out that it's unisexual for fear of being labeled a sexist, but it's ok, you can admit women would have a lower chance of defending themselves due to their smaller physical size, strength, and speed. This is why women are told more often than men to take more precautions for their safety, e.g. don't go out alone at night, etc. even though men are statistically more likely to be victims of violent crime. Men have a greater chance of fighting off their assailant. Last I checked, facts weren't sexist, so you're in the clear. Yay! :D

"So, we know size and strength are relevant factors in a 1v1 fistfight to the death. As long as there are no weapons, no ambushes, and no other unfair advantages, you're right!"

They're still actually huge factors, even with those taken into account, e.g. a woman ambushing a man with a bat will likely still get beaten to a pulp. Sure, there are exceptions, some of which you were able to find, but the general trend holds true. Thanks for the comment!

13. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

Mmmm, nought like a bit of stereotyping, perhaps you just don't get out enough and meet different people from many different cultures?

14. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    What relevance does your size or strength have when my 5'2" daughter puts two in your chest and one in your head?

The answer you're looking for is "None."

15. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

Oh yeah, let's get personally offended at a true statement. And for the record, I'm trained with a gun too, probably better than she is. Back to my original point: Size and strength are the most important factors in most fights with no weapons. They're extremely important in most fights with weapons. My opinion. Don't get offended.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

Perhaps you aren't willing to accept facts? The research is out there. Men perform better at blue collar work due to their higher physical size and strength. Shocking, I know. A study found all male units perform significantly better than mixed units in the military. Again, what a surprise that men, ON AVERAGE, perform better than women when it comes to tasks that benefit from having strength and size, both of which men have more of than women ON AVERAGE. It's not universal, but it's a general trend, and it's true. Learn the difference. I'm not saying every man is stronger than every woman, but yes, the stereotype of men being better at physical jobs than women, is true whether you like it or not. And what's the relevance of cultures? Men are bigger and stronger than women ON AVERAGE for every culture on earth. Thanks.

Have a look at these when you get a chance:
    Women in combat at disadvantage, Marine Corps study shows

We Thought Female Athletes Were Catching Up to Men, but They're Not

Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory

Gender differences in strength and muscle fiber characteristics. - PubMed - NCBI

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

I love how someone commented "women are better than men at everything" on here, which is blatant sexism, and that went ignored, while when I posted my opinion, which is based on actual science, people get offended and tell me their daughter would shoot me in the chest and head lol. Try to calm down.

18. Grenadier

Grenadier Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Admin's Note:

Since this thread has essentially been derailed from the original discussion, it has now been closed. Please keep future conversations civil and on-topic.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.