Are women better at kicks than men?

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Ironbear24, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShawnP

ShawnP Blue Belt

YA try pushing out a baby.......:arghh:

• Like Like x 1
  2. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Their hip joints are significanly different, but flexibility doesn't always lead to better kicks. I'll grant it's a huge advantage if you're kicking high, but for mid-height and lower, anyone with moderate flexibility can deliver. And the higher natural muscle mass of male legs - paired with the overall higher average mass as a base for the physics of the kick - means most men have an advantage in that area. Given a choice between flexibility and mass, I'd probably choose flexibility, but I'm not convinced that's necessarily a winning choice.

3. royalblue62

royalblue62 White Belt

When sparring with girls or women, I have made the experience that roundhouse kicks or reverse roundhouse kicks are the things to beware of.

4. pinklady6000

pinklady6000 Yellow Belt

Iam good at kicking. If you have a man and a woman of the same mass, you will find that women are 20% weaker than the male, because women have more fat tissue content in the muscles, but with training and correct diet this fat content can be reduced to a minimum. Then the strength difference between the man and the woman is also reduced. physically the women has bigger and longer legs than the equivelent man and can make better use of the legs. The man has bigger arms so the punching will be stronger. Learn to kick girls, and have the advantage!

5. Red Sun

Red Sun Green Belt

I am absolutely terrible at kicking. I can spear you on a front/side kick, and that's about it. I like fighting with my hands and/or wrestling.

I'm the annoying person who throws 1 or 2 punches and goes for the clinch. :happy:

6. pinklady6000

pinklady6000 Yellow Belt

thats what i observed on the tkd olympics, lots of side kicks.
    it is interesting about the clinch, as it seems to be a neutralizer to the boxer as it stops the boxers punching.

7. Red Sun

Red Sun Green Belt

Yep.
    If i were to move into MMA or something, i'd add judo throws to back it up.

8. PhotonGuy

PhotonGuy Senior Master

Men have longer legs than women most of the time. As you notice men are usually taller. Now, if you're talking about leg length in proportion to the rest of the body Im not sure.

9. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    That's not actually true, it depends who you are talking about. I am taller than most of the Gurkhas here at 5 foot 4 inches, I'm also taller than most of my daughter's workmates, in fact I'm taller than three quarters of the race horse industry. We also have many Fijians here, the men are huge taller than most men here. We have tall and short men, tall and short women. You cannot say that men have longer legs than women most of the time, nor can you say men are usually taller, people simply come in all shapes and sizes.

10. PhotonGuy

PhotonGuy Senior Master

Here is a chart and you will see that just about everywhere men have a higher average height than women. The tallest man in the world ever recorded was 8 foot 11 inches and the tallest woman in the world ever recorded was 8 foot 1.75 inches. Sure, people do come in all shapes and sizes and culture also plays a role in height as the average height per culture can vary and yes, there are some women that are taller than some men but what Im saying is that on the average men do tend to be taller in any culture.
    List of average human height worldwide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Sigh.
    Why do you think I need to know how tall the tallest man was? It's irrelevant, he likely had Marfans anyway. And quoting Wikipedia isn't the best thing to cite at the best of times.
    Just accept that we are all different shapes and sizes, it's that simple.

12. MaMaD

MaMaD Yellow Belt

sorry for lack of English :)
    being taller or shorter it's not necessarily an advantage, it depend on what activity we are going to do, just saying.

we are all different shapes and sizes, yes i agreed.
    but "i think" what @PhotonGuy is trying to say is that Fijians men are taller then most men "there" but they also are taller then most Fijians women, but yes, for sure there is a numbers of Fijians women that are taller then some other Fijians men. Chinese men are usually shorter then other men in other cultures but they are usually taller then Chinese women. he means average length of men "usually" is higher compared with average of women in same culture, nation or something.

i didn't look up for length researches in world, because it's not that matter to me, so i'am not sure if is it sure but due to what i see "here", it seems to be. i might be wrong so for being sure we need to just cite to worldwide researches.

13. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    The Fijian men are soldiers picked for their size and rugby playing abilities, the female Fijian soldiers are also tall. They are not examples of the average Fijian. My daughter and her work mates were chosen for their smallness they are not average sized. PG is doing what he usually does and has done for a long while here, trying to argue things only he believes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Ok so we are getting sciency.

Sons are generally taller than their mothers. Due to a whole batch of genetics stuff that i can't link on my phone.

15. MaMaD

MaMaD Yellow Belt

i don't know maybe it's me using wrong words that lead us to a miss understanding.
    i did not mean Chinese men and women that we saw are average for their countries.
    i mean there is some researches that can tell us about average height of women and men in certain countries. researchers use a sample of people for certain community that they (researchers) believe can speak on behalf of all persons in that community.
    for example (i just googled it up, i'am not saying this is a reliable site): Height Chart of Men and Women in Different Countries

knowing what company in what country did the researches and being sure of accuracy of the researches require more study.
    if i believe the samples in any researches in any subjects can't speak on behalf of all statistical society it's different discuss.
    if i believe the researches about height is true and can apply to statistical society but still they can't tell us it's about gender, it's completely different theme and discuss about that subject require different primary and basic beginning spot.

16. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

Men are bigger, stronger, faster, have a higher bone density, making them less fragile, have a higher pain tolerance, have accomplished and invented more throughout history, have historically made better leaders, and have a higher IQ on average. Men hold every record in every sport. Don't be sexist on here saying women are better.

17. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

This is actually all wrong and not supported by science. Men have 50 - 60% stronger upper bodies, 33% stronger lower bodies (legs), as well as a much higher potential to build muscle. Men also have stronger muscle fibers, making them proportionally stronger than women.

18. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    The inventions and accomplishments are likely highly skewed by the limited opportunities afforded to women in the past, and how we (a male-dominated society) choose to define and measure accomplishment. IQ has proven to be a poor predictor of pretty much anything (not even great for academic success), so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

19. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

How did women get to be oppressed in the first place if they're equal?
    IQ actually is a good measure of intelligence. Not all intelligence, but one kind. You will find a trend where the most renowned scientists, engineers, etc. have high IQs.

And to be clear, my points are honestly meant to be rhetorical in a way. I'm not actually implying men are better than women, but responding to that person who said women are better than men by offering counter examples. I just found her sexism unnecessary.

20. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Yes, IQ is a measure of cognitive intelligence, but it is a poor predictor of success in any area. You can find just as high IQ among those who fail as scientists as among those who succeed. Citing it as something a man has more of than a woman is not much better than citing the fact that we have more body hair. It's true, but doesn't really show demonstrate any real advantage of men. If you want to dig deep, it's entirely possible that IQ tests still carry some bias of what is expected to be "intelligence", based upon centuries of male-dominated leadership and business.

As for how society became male-dominated, that likely leads from times when women cared for children (because mother's milk was the staple food for them) and men went out to hunt and defend. Over time, that evolved into the societal norm that was common for centuries, of the woman staying home to care for kids and men doing business, getting into politics, and leading armies.

You're trying really hard to assert that men are better, based upon a VERY male idea of what "better" is. There are strong arguments for strengths in both male and female approaches to business, politics, leadership, etc. And, frankly, those terms (male and female) are based on only partially accurate stereotypes of what differs between men and women.

You posted not long ago about not being sexist. Your attempt here seems highly sexist, even to a man.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.