are we allowed to adjust material?

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my opinion, this is a big, fat, "it depends".

If we are talking about fundamental skills, i.e. proper stances, transitions, basic strikes, etc., then no, don't just go changing that. Assuming the instruction you are receiving is of high quality, then you are learning a specific way to do these things, based on certain principles. When practicing and drilling, you should always adhere to those principles because that reinforces your execution. Also, you need to understand that sometimes how things are drilled is not how you would actually use them in a real fight. But drilling them in a certain way develops a foundational skill that will be brought into play every time you deliver the fundamental skills, even if the delivery is different from how it is drilled.

This makes sense and i understand the need to adhere to the way i was taught. I am making not critical changes to the core of said technique. no changes in positioning or strikes. Im simply altering it so that i can actually do it.

What i actually do is instead of starting in a horse stance as instructed, i start in a half-moon stance. This allows me to complete the technique the rest of the way through and then be able to get my side kick up to the proper target.

Now, if we are talking about the scripted Self Defense Scenario techniques that are pretty typical and common among many of the Hawaiian/Chow/Parker derived kenpo branches, then I would say there is more room for adjustments. Personally, I have some strong reservations about this approach to structuring a curriculum, I honestly do not feel it's the best approach to training, but that is my opinion and many people feel it works quite well. I do not believe that all of these kinds of SD techs were well designed to begin with, some are simply bad ideas from the ground up. I think it just opens the door to making a lot of changes, and as long as the fundamental skills are adhered to and the foundational principles are kept in tact, then altering the SD techs probably doesn't matter so much, as long as there is a good reason for doing so and the result is something that actually makes sense.

Here, do you mean the eleventy billion different SD techs that are taught in various iterations of Kempo/Kenpo?

If the quality of instruction you are receiving is not particularly high, then all of these issues may be simply jumbled and making changes isn't going to help you. If this is the case, then you simply need a better instructor.

Everybody believes that the instruction they are receiving is high quality. Let's be honest: if you did not believe so, you would not continue to get that instruction. So determining what is high quality and what is not, can be a tough call for someone to make. Everyone makes a judgement based on their personal experiences.

I believe my instructor is good and the instruction we are receiving is sound. As it is my first of two styles (the other being BJJ) i have no way to validate its quality.

B

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This makes sense and i understand the need to adhere to the way i was taught. I am making not critical changes to the core of said technique. no changes in positioning or strikes. Im simply altering it so that i can actually do it.

What i actually do is instead of starting in a horse stance as instructed, i start in a half-moon stance. This allows me to complete the technique the rest of the way through and then be able to get my side kick up to the proper target.

I don't know specifically what you are doing here, but I'll just say, is there a specific reason for starting in a horse? Does that fundamentally affect how the basic tech, i.e. a punch, is delivered, by starting in a horse and transitioning into something else? If so, then are you undermining that by using the "half-moon" stance? I'd say that's the heart of the issue. If you diminish your ability to deliver fundamental power, then the change is not good. If it is purely a matter of positioning, then the change may be appropriate. Sometimes fundamental skills feel awkward and require a lot of training before they become comfortable and begin to feel "right". Don't misunderstand that for something that needs to be changed. I can't judge what you are doing, so you need to decided. I'm just trying to give you something to think about.

Here, do you mean the eleventy billion different SD techs that are taught in various iterations of Kempo/Kenpo?

ayup, that would be them. And eleventy billion sounds about right.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its interesting because at one of my old schools, you could have 2 or more versions of the way someone does a tech or kata. Imagine the look on the students face, as well as mine, when I'd show something and they'd say, "Thats not the way I learned it from so and so." So now, my version simply becomes another 'way' of doing the tech? I mean, I dont expect everyone to move like a robot, but when you have drastic changes.....

In my school, we definitely have differences in how we do our forms. The other students have been with sifu for decades and learned these forms years ago. I've learned them more recently. Sifu does make changes, and sometimes not everyone clues into those changes. Sifu might make a change when he teaches the form to me, but if the other guys are busy working on something else, they might not realize that he did it. But his changes are always to make something more useful or practical, or they provide a cleaner expression of the principles upon which the system is built. Changes are not done for small reason, but they are definitely done. And sometimes I'll ask him, if I am confused about something, should it be LIKE THIS, or LIKE THAT, and sometimes he will answer: either is fine, it's up to you.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flying Crane wrote
"Sometimes fundamental skills feel awkward and require a lot of training before they become comfortable and begin to feel "right". Don't misunderstand that for something that needs to be changed."

QFT

It is important I think to not completely discard things that do not feel right or seem to be not worthwhile or high percentage. Rather than discarding I like to think of shelving it. Put it away for later exploration. Just because something is truth today does not mean it will be truth tomorrow. What is uncomfortable today might be very comfortable next year and then again uncomfortable the year after. It is important I think to take all assumptions especially those based on exploration and trial and error and to re-explore them. By assumptions I mean both those things we take as positive and negative truths.

Regards
Brian King

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Flying Crane wrote
"Sometimes fundamental skills feel awkward and require a lot of training before they become comfortable and begin to feel "right". Don't misunderstand that for something that needs to be changed."

QFT

It is important I think to not completely discard things that do not feel right or seem to be not worthwhile or high percentage. Rather than discarding I like to think of shelving it. Put it away for later exploration. Just because something is truth today does not mean it will be truth tomorrow. What is uncomfortable today might be very comfortable next year and then again uncomfortable the year after. It is important I think to take all assumptions especially those based on exploration and trial and error and to re-explore them. By assumptions I mean both those things we take as positive and negative truths.

Regards
Brian King

Thank you for reinforcing this.

The system that I train uses some fundamental methods that simply do not match what most people think that a fighting method should look like. It simly looks odd. But there are very sound and important reasons for everything that we do. It's just that you need to understand the reasons, and you need good instruction to recognize HOW these odd methods are building these important skills because if it is done incorrectly it LOOKS correct superficially, but there is no benefit from it.

If everyone judged based on what feels odd RIGHT NOW, then nobody would train our system, and nobody would get the benefits of our method. Honestly, our system is dying, there are few people who do it, and few of those do it well. I think a lot of people just see it and decide it doesn't make sense to them, so few people give it a chance, and fewer still stick with it long enough to start to "get" it. But personally, I understand what is going on with it and I think it is extremely effective, I won't ever water it down to make it easier because doing so will pull the rug out from under everything that makes it good.

If you have good instruction then you just need to keep working on it and trust in the method. Eventually it makes sense. But again, that depends on having good instruction.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know specifically what you are doing here, but I'll just say, is there a specific reason for starting in a horse? Does that fundamentally affect how the basic tech, i.e. a punch, is delivered, by starting in a horse and transitioning into something else? If so, then are you undermining that by using the "half-moon" stance? I'd say that's the heart of the issue. If you diminish your ability to deliver fundamental power, then the change is not good. If it is purely a matter of positioning, then the change may be appropriate. Sometimes fundamental skills feel awkward and require a lot of training before they become comfortable and begin to feel "right". Don't misunderstand that for something that needs to be changed. I can't judge what you are doing, so you need to decided. I'm just trying to give you something to think about.

The start of the tech goes as such
1.) from a horse stance, opponent attacks with a right, front two knuckle punch to the chest
2.) lean to the right while at the same time using a knife hand block with the left hand to block the attack, and grab the wrist
3.) while still holding the the arm with your right hand rotate your hand away from your body(like using the throttle on a bike), use you left hand to deliver a driving shuto to the elbow
4.) rotate the opponents arm towards you, while slipping your left hand under their arm and then deliver a reverse driving shuto to the elbow again
5.) using the right leg deliver a side blade kick to the ribs
6.) release arm, cross over in an on guard stance

that is the tech as best as i could describe it in words. at the beginning instead of the horse stance all i do is drop my left foot back about the length of my foot to 1.5x the length. it does nothing to cause me to not be able to block or deliver effective strikes. it actually gives me a slight better position in case the attacker was larger than i was a able to disturb my balance slightly

the main reason for that slight change is to give my long legs more clearance to deliver a strike to the proper target.

so i guess my question would be, is better for me to do the tech as it was taught and strike to area i can get to, or modify it slight to suit my body to hit all the targets that i was instructed to hit?

ayup, that would be them. And eleventy billion sounds about right.

i thought so. it is nuts. i see the need for 2-3 beginning techs in each category. Obviously they would be used to introduce the main and important concepts behind the techs for that category, and then maybe 2-3 advanced versions for said category to help you adapt to various situations. the rest of the time should be spent drilling those techs and then tweaking the situation.

i dont know about you, but i would feel a lot more comfortable with 4-6 core techs for each category and then hours of training those and various iterations of how to use them from different angles, over training hours on 100+ techs for each category

B

PS-obviously my number are a little on the over-dramatic side but it helps with my point :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into the choreography. But I'll try to make some points to get you looking at it the way that I am...
if I ask a question here, I'm not really looking for an answer back, rather I'm asking to get you to think about a certain point.

The start of the tech goes as such
1.) from a horse stance, opponent attacks with a right, front two knuckle punch to the chest
2.) lean to the right while at the same time using a knife hand block with the left hand to block the attack, and grab the wrist

what is the fundamental and strongest way to issue that knife hand block? What are the principles upon which that block are built, to make it the most effective and strongest that it can be? In the context of this choreography, are you able to deliver that knife hand block in this manner? If so, it's all good. If not, why? Is there a problem with the positioning? Is the knife hand block the best option under these circumstances?

3.) while still holding the the arm with your right hand rotate your hand away from your body(like using the throttle on a bike), use you left hand to deliver a driving shuto to the elbow

Shuto to the elbow...again, what are the driving principles that makes a shuto, ANY shuto strong and effective? Within this choreography, are you able to deliver a shuto in that same manner, or is it being compromised somehow?

4.) rotate the opponents arm towards you, while slipping your left hand under their arm and then deliver a reverse driving shuto to the elbow again

Same questions for this Reverse Driving Shuto

5.) using the right leg deliver a side blade kick to the ribs

same questions for this side kick

This is how I am encouraging you to look at a technique. Not so much in terms of the specific choreography. The choreography is important, it must be conceptually sound and make sense, but it is of secondary importance. If those fundamental issues I've illustrated above are not in place, then the choreography itself doesn't matter. If there are fundamental problems, the choreography could be part of the problem, it might be demanding things that don't make sense from that particular position, that could undermine those fundamentals.

So again, with regard to that horse stance/half-moon stance substitution...does it undermine any of the foundational skills as you are applying them in the technique? If not, it may be an appropriate change. If so, then it is not an appropriate change.

so i guess my question would be, is better for me to do the tech as it was taught and strike to area i can get to, or modify it slight to suit my body to hit all the targets that i was instructed to hit?

You will need to make this decision, but I think you should consider the issues I raised above, before you do so. And talk with your instructor about it and see what he thinks. I dont' know what level you are in your training. Some people have a greater "vision" of what is going on than others, it depends on the quality of instruction they have received, as well as how well they have grasped that instruction and how well they have trained their skills. Without working with you directly, I can only say that you will need to make the decision for yourself, but consider these issues that I've raised.

i thought so. it is nuts. i see the need for 2-3 beginning techs in each category. Obviously they would be used to introduce the main and important concepts behind the techs for that category, and then maybe 2-3 advanced versions for said category to help you adapt to various situations. the rest of the time should be spent drilling those techs and then tweaking the situation.

i dont know about you, but i would feel a lot more comfortable with 4-6 core techs for each category and then hours of training those and various iterations of how to use them from different angles, over training hours on 100+ techs for each category

B

PS-obviously my number are a little on the over-dramatic side but it helps with my point :)

I don't disagree, and your numbers are only a little over dramatic. ;-)

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into the choreography. But I'll try to make some points to get you looking at it the way that I am...
if I ask a question here, I'm not really looking for an answer back, rather I'm asking to get you to think about a certain point.

ahhhh! i see what you did there. i think i finally understand.

The whole is important but the parts that make up the whole are more important. if each individual part is not understood that the whole will fall apart. so as long as the understand of that change i made is clear and doesnt affect the other parts or the whole than i am ok.

is that what you are pointing out?

I don't disagree, and your numbers are only a little over dramatic. ;-)

its a little overwhelming at times.

especially the combinations

B

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ahhhh! i see what you did there. i think i finally understand.

The whole is important but the parts that make up the whole are more important. if each individual part is not understood that the whole will fall apart. so as long as the understand of that change i made is clear and doesnt affect the other parts or the whole than i am ok.

is that what you are pointing out?

its a little overwhelming at times.

especially the combinations

B

Yes, exactly! that's where people go wrong, I think, both with SD techs and forms/kata. they only look at the whole, at the choreography. It becomes something to "get thru". But then you are only thinking about getting to the end, you are not thinking about what is happeneing at every step along the way, making sure that every technique, every movement within the larger choreography, is being done correctly. Because these techs and forms are only tools to teach you a skill, and that skill is both specific and nebulous because it needs to be applied a certain way to be effective, but once you understand that, then you can begin to realize that if you apply that skill with every movement you do, then ANY movement can be a potentially powerful technique, even if it is not part of the formal curriculum, even if it's not a "proper" punch. But if you really really understand the concepts that make a movement work, you can simply apply it everywhere, to every movement that you make.

To get the benefits of training, you need to work deliberately, even slowly, thru the material to make sure every movement is correct. Speeding thru it just causes problems, but people think that by going fast, they are being "realistic". In truth, they just undermine the true skills, they never really develop skill beyond raw athletic ability and natural talent.

This is what the Chinese martial arts are all about, and it's why I don't like long lists of specific, heavily choreographed SD techniques. I prefer a thorough understanding of the basics, and then forms that act as examples of how you put those basics into action. Specific SD techs are, in my opinion, too "scenario specific" and they become a scripted answer to a particular attack. I feel that's too limiting in how you should be looking at your material, and it's an inappropriate way to teach the fundamentals. The fundamentals need to be taught separately, but I think many people believe the fundamentals are being TAUGHT in the SD techs, rather than being DRILLED in the techs. This is a specific mindset that I am describing here, it's not easy to describe but I hope it's making sense.

My sifu always says, the form itself does not matter. What matters is every single movement within the form, that it is done correctly. If not, then the choreography is nothing more than exercise. There is no martial potential with it. Our forms are drills that help you develop these skills. Too many people see forms as performance art, and they want to do it in a way that would impress an uneducated audience. But forms were never originally intended to be that. They are training drills, and what an audience might think of them is irrelevant. But if the form helps you develop these skills, then eventually the form no longer matters because it has accomplished its purpose. This is what is meant when we say, in the traditional arts, you eventually throw away the form or the technique. The form or technique is not the goal. The goal is to develop the true skill, and the form or technique is just a tool to help you get there.

A problem with many of the kenpo forms that I am familiar with (I was a Tracy kenpo shodan, I don't know what your lineage is so this may not apply) is that the forms are made up of existing SD techs. OK, this is kinda weird, it's just a compilation of this stuff that you've already learned, heavily scripted. It just becomes a collection and I believe that often they do not offer anything above what the individual SD techs already offer. Putting them together into a form doesnt give you anything more than what you get by practicing those techs separately. It is, in my opinion, a weird way to build forms.

Chinese forms take those fundamentals, and then give you examples of how to utilize those fundamentals in a moving and more dynamic situation. So the forms provide a series of examples, without being so heavily scripted and "scenario specific" as the kenpo SD techs are. I find them to be more useful, tho it requires a different mindset.

With the Chinese systems like the one that I train, if you are intelligent and have a good vision of the method, then you could learn all you need with just the basics and one or two forms. Those examples could be enough to teach you all you need to know, IF you are smart enough to grasp it. The problem is, most of us are not smart enough to grasp it with limited material. We require more material, we need to go thru a longer learning process before we develop the vision to truly understand what is possible. Once you gain that vision, then you realize that it's all in the basics. And once you gain that vision, then you realize that you do not need to learn more material, even if the system has more material in the curriculum. The goal is not to collect all the "material". The goal is to understand the true skills, and once you do, you don't need any more material.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For personel use, absolutly. To instruct and pass on, no.
Everyone is different physically and mentally so system material has to be adjusted so that it fits the individual during live/confrontational situations.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For personel use, absolutly. To instruct and pass on, no.
Everyone is different physically and mentally so system material has to be adjusted so that it fits the individual during live/confrontational situations.

Excellent point. I've mentioned, as one example, my own modification of the right back stance. When I'm demonstrating, however, I make it a point to demonstrate with the "normal" stance. Thanks to reflexes, this means I usually demonstrate it as a left back stance. And I make no secret of WHY my right back stance is "off" and stress that students ought not emulate that particular stance.

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
As far as what we are taught for doing self-defense techniques, we have to make adjustments because of our height, body size, movements, etc. compared to the attacker. The one thing I was really glad about when I was accepted as a student was not having to memorize names or numbers for various techniques. We do not have set techniques that we have to perform or set ways to perform certain techniques. Our teacher will show a technique (that he probably made up on the spot) with certain moves involved that he wants to see. After we go through it a number of times, he might then show us what he himself would do, which would be shorter (in number of strikes), more direct, flowing, and more devastating - the more advanced techniques. He leads up to the more advanced flowing techniques once we can handle what he shows us. It is then up to us to remember the techniques.

I like when he shows how Great Grandmaster Chow would do a technique, how his father would do the technique, and how he would do the technique. All techniques are different, yet with the same result. One important thing my teacher stresses is that we don't try to be like him or anyone else - we have to be ourselves.

The forms are the only thing that we don't adjust or make changes to.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You should know how things are "properly" done, even if for some reason you're physically incapable of doing them that way. And you should strive to overcome your limits so as to be able to perform them properly. But ultimately, modifications are sometimes necessary. As an example, any time I am in a backstance with the left foot forward, I will not have my head and shoulders exactly as is proper. Why? Because I don't have an eye on that side of my face, and in a proper stance, I cannot see the target. When I teach, however, I make sure to demonstrate ther stance properly, and make sure that people are not copying me (unless, of course, they're also blind on that side...). Do I lose points when I'm grading or competing? Sure. But that doesn't change the realities of the situation.
The truth is we are all either left or right eye dominant so, you are right on in positioning yourself for reality's sake. The generic model is flawed.
Sean

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Am i allowed to alter things to suit me?

You are the master. Your style is your slave. There is no standard way to execute a technique.

If you are 6 feet, your shoulder throw will be very difficult to work on your 5 feet opponent. It's better to train other techniqures that may fit your body shape better.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are the master. Your style is your slave. There is no standard way to execute a technique.

If you are 6 feet, your shoulder throw will be very difficult to work on your 5 feet opponent. It's better to train other techniqures that may fit your body shape better.

Could you define what you mean as a "standard way to execute a technique"?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Could you define what you mean as a "standard way to execute a technique"?
I said, "There is 'no' standard way to execute a technique."

The simplest example is the "front cut (Osoto Gari)": You can

- back kick your opponent's leg off the ground.
- use your leg to block your opponent's leg and run him down.
- twist on his leg and crash his knee joint.

You can also throw your opponent

- straight back.
- 45 degree.
- 90 degree.

There are all correct techniques. Since combat is 2 persons art, to be able to modify your technique to fit the combat situation is important.

Old MA saying said, "The name of the technique is not important. There exist no standard way to execute a technique".

Last edited:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, as I am understanding it. There is no standard application of the technique. But, there IS a best way to perform the technique for body mechanics to maximize it's use. That was what my question was getting at and wanting you to further define it.

Using your Osoto Gari, we are all in agreement that adjustments are made due to physical limitations or based on the opponent. But, what if you have a new student that thinks that they can now perform Osoto Gari without contact with the other person or the off balancing and they just want to kick out the leg. What would you say to them or instruct them on? This is the thrust of the discussion, changing things out of perference and not understanding.