Are Standing Arm Break Unsportsmanlike in MMA?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO, an opponent should be given the opportunity to submit from any technique. A fighter is free (or his corner can) throw in the towel if he or she is taking too much of a beating. Applying a joint break with no chance to tap seems pretty dickish to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In my opinion (for all that's worth), sportsmanship goes beyond just obeying the rules (though that's definitely the larger part of it). Throwing a fit if you lose isn't usually against the rules, but many people would consider it poor sportsmanship.
but.. imho that's more in the vein of youth and team sports.

I can think of many tennis pros who come unglued when they win or lose. It's so common, that no one bats an eye.

Your prefight interviews and weigh ins in MMA and UFC are notorious for unsportsmanlike behavior and it seems the audience and fans eat that misbehavior up.

In Brazil Vale Tudo, guys routinely refused to tap and got broken arms etc. It was almost like a right of passage.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but.. imho that's more in the vein of team sports.
I can think of many tennis pros who come unglued when they win. it's so common, that no one bats an eye.
I wouldn't say "no one". I apply the same standards to individual sports.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
IMO, an opponent should be given the opportunity to submit from any technique. A fighter is free (or his corner can) throw in the towel if he or she is taking too much of a beating. Applying a joint break with no chance to tap seems pretty dickish to me.

If a significant strike is about to land, ref should definitely step in and give the fighter who was going to a be struck a chance to admit defeat. Of course, they are free to eat the strike and take their chances, but it's d!ckish to just blast em, right?

I think in the pro world, both have shown they have accepted these possibilities by stepping into the ring.
What injuries occur within the rules BEFORE the fight has been stopped are just the risks you take. Still sucks though

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Any current or former pros out there care to weigh in?

I can only speak from amateur experience where I think we can all agree things like this would be way overboard..

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
“If you’d like to have your face smashed, your *** kicked and your arms broken, get in touch with Carlos at the Gracie Academy.”

An add that used to run in the newspapers in Brazil.

Last edited:

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone give insight into how often breaks occur in submission grappling competitions?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my opinion (for all that's worth), sportsmanship goes beyond just obeying the rules (though that's definitely the larger part of it). Throwing a fit if you lose isn't usually against the rules, but many people would consider it poor sportsmanship.

And that is precisely the point about the difference between morality and empathy.

Man I was so on topic.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can anyone give insight into how often breaks occur in submission grappling competitions?

We have a guy called the Danimal who just never taps and so generally leaves a competition injured.

Otherwise not so much in bjj

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And that is precisely the point about the difference between morality and empathy.

Man I was so on topic.
Except when you were talking about religion or ethnic cleansing. Then you definitely were so off topic.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If a significant strike is about to land, ref should definitely step in and give the fighter who was going to a be struck a chance to admit defeat. Of course, they are free to eat the strike and take their chances, but it's d!ckish to just blast em, right?

I think in the pro world, both have shown they have accepted these possibilities by stepping into the ring.
What injuries occur within the rules BEFORE the fight has been stopped are just the risks you take. Still sucks though

Who said anything about referees stepping in mid strike? People eat strikes all the time without injury. If I break your arm, you’ll be injured 100% of the time.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Who said anything about referees stepping in mid strike? People eat strikes all the time without injury. If I break your arm, you’ll be injured 100% of the time.

If you're not trying to injure my face why to heck are you punching it???

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You asked if I was comparing my training to MMA fights, and I said no. You later asked something about my reason for mentioning it, and I said something about the reference of a prior post that seemed to say it's ethical because it's available.
What you say above is internally inconsistent.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your prefight interviews and weigh ins in MMA and UFC are notorious for unsportsmanlike behavior and it seems the audience and fans eat that misbehavior up.

That's not so much unsportsmanlike behaviour but management encouraged show business 'PR' based on 'pro wrestling' hype designed purely to sell tickets to the fan boys.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy now Tez. You shouldn't need to resort to name calling to make your point

I'm not name calling, it's an adjective.

You're the one who brought up Roman times, thus I was responding to your comment.
And you missed the point.

Okay, so the scenario I gave isn't rubbish. But what I typed is? That makes perfect sense

If you didn't understand the original comment there's no chance you are going to understand the rest.

Quick example. Heaven is not for good people. Heaven is for people who accept Jesus.

Absolutely right. Good luck with this though, you've hit a nerve, which I know from past experience here, that will have you being assigned to burn in hell. You'll probably pick up a religious stalker as well.

Rules may be rules, but good sportsmanship is something better than rules, it's about being the better human being not the one who has to win at all costs ( not just to others but usually also to themselves).

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you say so. I don't see an inconsistency in it.
If you agree that ethics are contextual, which you have said you do. And you apply an ethical standard from one context to another (which is unrelated to your own and also foreign to you). Then....

Latest Discussions