Are Standing Arm Break Unsportsmanlike in MMA?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you seen the movie? Truly a classic, and I believe Paul Newman’s second best ever.

Long time ago

As far as this thread is concerned you mentioned knowing when your beat and being relied upon to tap out , well I would say again knowing when you are beat is a cool hand luke lol and the relying upon anything are ethical

Think on this you walk into an Aikido dojo ...you are paired with a yudansha , regardless of what training you have and as you are the athlete is the yudansha going to wait for you to tap out in a pin ? or wait for you to have a look on your face on complete dismay when he launches you threw the air ? and you do not know how to take that ukemi or if he decides to do rokkyo and you have no clue as to where he is going or what is happening is that not ehtics and the same as you saying it is relied upon that you know when you are beat or to tap out ? to me it is what @gpseymour I think was saying any yudansha would never follow through on a tech just cause he could and rely upon you as uke to call it of or tap out etc he would use his ethics and go as far as you could go safely ................................so ethics play a part in things

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, you were being snarky. Well, good. You should still watch the movie. It’s a classic.

Like the Japanese can in their language ....us Brits can be very sarcastic but very polite at the same time ...one should note this in your little book for future reference

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Long time ago

As far as this thread is concerned you mentioned knowing when your beat and being relied upon to tap out , well I would say again knowing when you are beat is a cool hand luke lol and the relying upon anything are ethical

Think on this you walk into an Aikido dojo ...you are paired with a yudansha , regardless of what training you have and as you are the athlete is the yudansha going to wait for you to tap out in a pin ? or wait for you to have a look on your face on complete dismay when he launches you threw the air ? and you do not know how to take that ukemi or if he decides to do rokkyo and you have no clue as to where he is going or what is happening is that not ehtics and the same as you saying it is relied upon that you know when you are beat or to tap out ? to me it is what @gpseymour I think was saying any yudansha would never follow through on a tech just cause he could and rely upon you as uke to call it of or tap out etc he would use his ethics and go as far as you could go safely ................................so ethics play a part in things
Okay, serious response, if this were a thread about aikido training, or even training in general, I would agree. The point is, it’s not about training. Make sense?

And the other point is, ethics are very contextual. They are also, often, not universal. So, inappropriately applying the ethics of one context to another doesn’t work.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Like the Japanese can in their language ....us Brits can be very sarcastic but very polite at the same time ...one should note this in your little book for future reference
You’re not as subtle as you think. ;) and why is my book little? I happen to have a very large book, with lots of notes in it. :D

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, serious response, if this were a thread about aikido training, or even training in general, I would agree. The point is, it’s not about training. Make sense?

And the other point is, ethics are very contextual. They are also, often, not universal. So, inappropriately applying the ethics of one context to another doesn’t work.

yes ethics are not universal and they are I would venture not contextual but down to the individual who holds them.
ethics are beholden to the individual and how he/she applies them regardless of rules or context

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
yes ethics are not universal and they are I would venture not contextual but down to the individual who holds them.
ethics are beholden to the individual and how he/she applies them regardless of rules or context
Ethics aren’t contextual? Can you tell me more about that?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You’re not as subtle as you think. ;) and why is my book little? I happen to have a very large book, with lots of notes in it. :D

Then I shall endeavour to try harder and use larger words or maybe my own language and then thy's book will have even more notes on same and the spelling will be checked as ethically you should be instructed to have the correct version there after you may choose to deviate and that there in leves you the ethical question of do you or don't you

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
and in there is a mistake so your challenge is do you tap out or do you not ...there in lies the dilemma

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was reviewing some of the unorthodox techniques in MMA and Waki Gatame(the first lock I was taught) caught my eye. Shinya Aoki applied it beautifully in the video below. I of course had to read the YouTube comments and some were saying the break was unsportsmanlike.

I can see part of their point given it's a break and is done so quickly it doesn't give his opponent enough time to tap. However; the Waki Gatame is a difficult technique to control your opponent with especially in a pro MMA bout, thus it must be done more explosively to be effective. When you opponent is trying to beat you unconscious is the arm-break that inappropriate or unsportsmanlike? Understand I'm referring to MMA bouts not grappling competitions.

Standing Arm-breaks Yea or Nay? Why or why not?

I say yea.
I am in the minority, but if it is legal, then it is not a dick move. If it had remained legal, everyone would become aware, and learn the defenses against it. and perhaps others would begin to train it.

With the attempt to apply it.

When UFC showed up, it showed that most striking arts were very susceptible to being submitted on the ground. Fast forward 20 years, and most all strikers have a solid takedown defense, or are competent groundfighters.

Evolution is sport.

Why doesn't UFC or other MMA brands require chest protectors?

A well placed sidekick at proper range will break ribs. Which can be far more debilitating then a broken arm, or elbow.

Joe Lewis broke a number of opponents' ribs with his sidekicks. That was just part of the game.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd argue they are both individual and contextual. There are things I wouldn't be willing to do to win a contest, so those things are individual (assuming some others would, as seems the case in this thread). There are some things I wouldn't do in normal training, but would do in a competitive situation (either sparring to win, or a formal competition). Those things are contextual.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd argue they are both individual and contextual. There are things I wouldn't be willing to do to win a contest, so those things are individual (assuming some others would, as seems the case in this thread). There are some things I wouldn't do in normal training, but would do in a competitive situation (either sparring to win, or a formal competition). Those things are contextual.

a logical answer however I would still say that in the second it is still down to you as the individual but I guess that is picking nits and that I do not want to do lol

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a logical answer however I would still say that in the second it is still down to you as the individual but I guess that is picking nits and that I do not want to do lol
I think it's fair to say ethics are always individual, and sometimes (often?, maybe always?) contextual. Point is, it seems there's always an individual component, and we could argue whether there's always a contextual component, as well.