Are Standing Arm Break Unsportsmanlike in MMA?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

There are plenty of ways to disagree with someone. Keep in mind, that while you do have a fair bit of leeway to attack the message that someone is sending, you're certainly not allowed to attack the messenger.

If you feel that someone is in violation of the rules, then use the "REPORT" feature that's part of the Xenforo software.

Now that y'all have had your warnings, the next occurrences will be met with warning points, and that's something you don't want to get...

OP
Anarax

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't discuss ideology on here btw, that comes under politics and against the rules here.
Martial Arts Ideology :meh:

Being offended is a choice, you don't have to be, you can shrug and go 'whatever' but you chose to be. :rolleyes: Go and have a talk with yourself.
You misunderstand. I understand you have the right to say what you want, but you don't have immunity nor exemption from being confronted when you insult others. It must be easy to put 100% of the responsibility on those you insult yet 0 responsibility on what you choose to say.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martial Arts Ideology :meh:

You misunderstand. I understand you have the right to say what you want, but you don't have immunity nor exemption from being confronted when you insult others. It must be easy to put 100% of the responsibility on those you insult yet 0 responsibility on what you choose to say.

As you don't live in the UK you obviously don't understand that 'smartarse' isn't an 'insult'. I'm sorry you don't understand British English but to make a huge fuss about something you think is an insult is ridiculous. We don't complain when you come across here calling those silly little bags 'fanny bags' even though that's very rude. and not a word we use in front of the children.It's often used as a self descriptor and a humorous word for a mate who can do something you can't. Another definition is "someone who mouths of to provoke or be funny to people/persons" your premise that breaking arms is perfectly acceptable in fact is provoking if not trolling yet you complain about a word that is perfectly acceptable here in polite society. the censorship is from MT not the sites themselves.
smart | Definition of smart in English by Oxford Dictionaries
Definition of SMART you were being disrespectful and don't like being called on it, but if you notice the word smartarse isn't marked as an insult but as I said an adjective.
SMARTARSE - Definition and synonyms of smartarse in the English dictionary of course if you are saying you aren't clever...……………………..

Ms. Smartarse
Smartarse
Time-travelling smartarse ‘is terrible role model for children’

Lisa Stansfield: 'Corbyn comes across as a real smartarse'
https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-meaning-of-the-word/smartarse.html

It's the name of company here too Smartarse Design Ltd: Eastleigh Hampshire Car Dealer

and finally this Colloquialism Examples and Definition - Literary Devices

You also choose not to defend my saying you were patronising in your replies to me which you were instead focussing on a word which any Brit will tell you is not an insult. However it's been a very amusing interlude in many ways, people on their high horses taking offence on the internet has always to be a childish and pointless exercise.

OP
Anarax

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tez, you're back pedaling and contradicting yourself. First it's an insult, then it's not. Please refer to your comments below.

you are being a smartarse ( it's only an insult if it's not true).
Brit will tell you is not an insult.

However it's been a very amusing interlude in many ways, people on their high horses taking offence on the internet has always to be a childish and pointless exercise.

Confronting someone for resorting to using derogatory insults when they could no longer address the topic itself makes me childish? Seems logical.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As you don't live in the UK you obviously don't understand that 'smartarse' isn't an 'insult'. I'm sorry you don't understand British English but to make a huge fuss about something you think is an insult is ridiculous. We don't complain when you come across here calling those silly little bags 'fanny bags' even though that's very rude. and not a word we use in front of the children.It's often used as a self descriptor and a humorous word for a mate who can do something you can't. Another definition is "someone who mouths of to provoke or be funny to people/persons" your premise that breaking arms is perfectly acceptable in fact is provoking if not trolling yet you complain about a word that is perfectly acceptable here in polite society. the censorship is from MT not the sites themselves.
smart | Definition of smart in English by Oxford Dictionaries
Definition of SMART you were being disrespectful and don't like being called on it, but if you notice the word smartarse isn't marked as an insult but as I said an adjective.
SMARTARSE - Definition and synonyms of smartarse in the English dictionary of course if you are saying you aren't clever...……………………..

Ms. Smartarse
Smartarse
Time-travelling smartarse ‘is terrible role model for children’

Lisa Stansfield: 'Corbyn comes across as a real smartarse'
https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-meaning-of-the-word/smartarse.html

It's the name of company here too Smartarse Design Ltd: Eastleigh Hampshire Car Dealer

and finally this Colloquialism Examples and Definition - Literary Devices

You also choose not to defend my saying you were patronising in your replies to me which you were instead focussing on a word which any Brit will tell you is not an insult. However it's been a very amusing interlude in many ways, people on their high horses taking offence on the internet has always to be a childish and pointless exercise.
It's fanny pack. Which, thinking about it, might be worse. :)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's fanny pack. Which, thinking about it, might be worse. :)

It depends which side of the Atlantic you're on as to which part of the anatomy is a 'fanny'.

Hint - it's not around the back and only roughly half the population have one - not the males...

The same type of bag here is a bum bag - but that's likely offensive over the water.

Much like the "c" word - it's still (usually) offensive here, but for entirely different reasons.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, and "smartarse" isn't a particularly offensive term either, in fact it's sometimes complimentary.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and "smartarse" isn't a particularly offensive term either, in fact it's sometimes complimentary.
The Murican equivalent (smartass) is capable of being either insult or sarcastic compliment. It's not terribly offensive in most cases, and whether it's an insult or not mostly depends how much you like the person saying it and how you perceive their intent.

Reactions: pdg

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Murican equivalent (smartass) is capable of being either insult or sarcastic compliment. It's not terribly offensive in most cases, and whether it's an insult or not mostly depends how much you like the person saying it and how you perceive their intent.
And how much the person saying it likes you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It depends which side of the Atlantic you're on as to which part of the anatomy is a 'fanny'.

Hint - it's not around the back and only roughly half the population have one - not the males...

The same type of bag here is a bum bag - but that's likely offensive over the water.

Much like the "c" word - it's still (usually) offensive here, but for entirely different reasons.
Bum is a very mild way to refer to the backside. Moms will say it to their toddlers in the USA, “oh, did you fall on your bum?” Not offensive at all.

As for smartass, I’d rather be a smartass than a dumbass. :) at worst, smartass is like calling someone a wiseass.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez, you're back pedaling and contradicting yourself. First it's an insult, then it's not. Please refer to your comments below.

Confronting someone for resorting to using derogatory insults when they could no longer address the topic itself makes me childish? Seems logical.

Sweetie, you are someone who thinks breaking an arm in a competition is fine yet you hold on to a perceived insult ( and whinging to mods) as if I'd put your children in cages. It's your choice to keep this nonsense going. it's your choice to feel 'insulted' by a harmless word and your choice to actually ignore anything I've said about the actual subject which I suspect you actually know little about. You have only replied to my posts with patronising remarks yet spend an inordinate amount of time on the use of one word that you seem to think is a monumental insult. Now dear boy, I'm off to Guide camp where the conversation despite their age tends to much more adult. Enjoy your day.

PS I posted this because I'm a smartarse. :D:D:D:D:D

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bum is a very mild way to refer to the backside. Moms will say it to their toddlers in the USA, “oh, did you fall on your bum?” Not offensive at all.

I wasn't aware of that usage in the US.

In films and TV, it seems almost exclusively to be used as a reference for a person who is somehow perceived as a burden to society.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

In films and TV, it seems almost exclusively to be used as a reference for a person who is somehow perceived as a burden to society.
It can also be a synonym for vagrant but in thethe context of a bum bag I wioild take ir to refer to the backside and not a homeless person.

OP
Anarax

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sweetie, you are someone who thinks breaking an arm in a competition is fine yet you hold on to a perceived insult
I clearly explained why I believe a legal technique is acceptable in a full-contact competition. My stance on legal techniques is irrelevant to how I respond to insults.

it's your choice to feel 'insulted' by a harmless word
Okay, I'll post your comment again so your can read it
smartarse ( it's only an insult if it's not true).
You yourself said it's an insult, and you were even kind enough to bold it for me.

your choice to actually ignore anything I've said about the actual subject which I suspect you actually know little about.
I haven't ignored anything. I took every point you offered and responded to it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just to clarify my position on this. Breaking a dude's arm is not the goal. However, at this level, it is reasonable to assume that the competitors are well prepared and know how to handle themselves. This is true whether its an ankle lock, a guillotine, or a standing arm lock. If one guy is reefing on a shoulder lock and the other guy doesnt submit, we shouldbt be shocked when the shoulder pops.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You yourself said it's an insult, and you were even kind enough to bold it for me.

No, I said it's only an insult if it's not true. If it's true it's not an insult...………... it isn't an insult.

and no you didn't address my point of you not actually knowing much about MMA. It's clear you have little understanding of MMA (or what ever you arrogantly understand it to be) or competitive fighting. In fact you didn't answer anyone's questions on your experience in full contact fighting which meant you could intelligently and comprehensively pontificate on whether deliberately breaking people's arms in competition is such a great idea.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify my position on this. Breaking a dude's arm is not the goal. However, at this level, it is reasonable to assume that the competitors are well prepared and know how to handle themselves. This is true whether its an ankle lock, a guillotine, or a standing arm lock. If one guy is reefing on a shoulder lock and the other guy doesnt submit, we shouldbt be shocked when the shoulder pops.
The issue is that this standing armbar doesn't really have a submission point. If you stop to allow a submission, it's entirely escapable. To use this to any real effect, you have to go for the break. If the armbar in question were on the ground (where there's a base to allow control for submission) my response changes. I still wouldn't break it, but using the technique isn't an issue, and it's mostly on the defender to know when it's time to tap out to avoid injury.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think mostly we picked up that usage from British TV. Enough of us see it, and it creeps into the vernacular.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think mostly we picked up that usage from British TV. Enough of us see it, and it creeps into the vernacular.

I take it the 'stiff upper lip' bit didn't stick though :D

If as a pro fighter you deliberately use techniques that will absolutely result in injury and harm to your opponent, however 'legal' those rules are then that fighter is behaving appallingly. Competitions aren't 'win at any costs', respect for your opponent should be and mostly is there. As I said before once you get a reputation as a 'dirty' fighter ( yes even if it means using legal moves) you will not be matched unless it's against someone the same as you. It's not 'pro wrestling' where even the 'baddies' don't actually hurt their opponents, 'baddies' simply don't get matched, promoters don't want them on their shows ( insurance claims) fighters don't want to have to take time off through injuries that could be avoided, and no one actually wants to see bones broken. Fanboys might think that's great but trust me once they've seen an injury like that they are the first to rush out to be sick.

On the subject of tapping out, I stopped a fight when a chap was in an armbar, he wasn't pleased because the pain he felt was only moderate but I could clearly see, through experience, that it was causing a lot of damage to his arm and if it went on there would be a serious injury. the fighter, an amateur, had a go at me as he got out of the cage. After another couple of fights I stepped out and he was back, this time apologising and his arm in a sling with the instruction to get it checked by a doctor, from the ringside medics. Fighters don't always know when to tap, it's not as obvious to them for a few reasons as it is to others. If it's a technique being used on them that they don't know, they again will not tap if it seems at face value they don't have to.

Latest Discussions