Are revolvers dying out?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That strikes me as odd. My mother and her department were carrying semi-autos in the 80's. A couple uncles on the State Patrol have been carrying semi-autos as long.
And I'm happy to say that my stepson carries a Glock 22 for his job at the Max Security prison where he works. On transports, they all carry the G22 plus there are shotguns and such.
In this day and age, I'd question the wisdom of any department or company that chose revolvers as the primary carry weapon.
I assume its $$$$. They already own the revolvers,holsters, rounds. Already have the training programs in place. Whats really strange is the detention center uses our range and our instructors so you would think we would all have the same guns but they have the old stainless S&W 357

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive never really looked at what our State DOC guys carry I know a few years ago it was revolvers because a prisoner beat up a guard and took her gun at the court house and I was working when it happened

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would they when they have these to play with? Support weapons - British Army Website

Soldiers have a different job to do from police officers and security guards.

Impressive.

But, with the Army in the USA the standard officer's sidearm is the Beretta 92 which is a 9mm. Before that they carried the Colt 1911 in .45. And from what I've seen lots of police officers also carry a 9mm, usually a semi auto of some sort although not always a Beretta. True, soldier's jobs are quite different from police and security guards, you don't see police and security guards on the front line where they need all the heavy artillery shown in the link you provided, but soldiers do carry sidearms which are often the same, or similar to the sidearms carried by police officers and security personnel.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You do realize there are still law enforcement and security agencies that carry revolvers. Our jail guards have revolvers for there prisoner transport units. And the private security firm at the court house has revolvers. Every time I see the armor car guys at the local banks around here they have revolvers

Well I've also seen revolvers, quite often, as a sidearm carried by armored car guards, those guys who transport large amounts of cash in those big armored trucks. I have seen some of the guards with semi autos but I've also seen lots of them with revolvers.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Impressive.

But, with the Army in the USA the standard officer's sidearm is the Beretta 92 which is a 9mm. Before that they carried the Colt 1911 in .45. And from what I've seen lots of police officers also carry a 9mm, usually a semi auto of some sort although not always a Beretta. True, soldier's jobs are quite different from police and security guards, you don't see police and security guards on the front line where they need all the heavy artillery shown in the link you provided, but soldiers do carry sidearms which are often the same, or similar to the sidearms carried by police officers and security personnel.

Only those who are rear echelon here are likely to carry sidearms here and they will be Glocks. That's not 'heavy artillery' in the link I posted by the way, that's weapons carried by soldiers this is heavy artillery :D The Royal Artillery - British Army Website

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only those who are rear echelon here are likely to carry sidearms here and they will be Glocks. That's not 'heavy artillery' in the link I posted by the way, that's weapons carried by soldiers this is heavy artillery :D The Royal Artillery - British Army Website

In the USA officers carry sidearms although Im not sure about enlisted personnel. They also don't use Glocks since they're striker pin fired sidearms.

And what I meant was, police officers and security guards aren't going to need anything as big as what was in the previous link. I couldn't imagine even a SWAT team using something like that. But, police officers, lots of security guards, and people in the Army do use handguns, so they've got that in common.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the USA officers carry sidearms although Im not sure about enlisted personnel. They also don't use Glocks since they're striker pin fired sidearms.

What planet are you on?
rolling.gif

Some of the biggest PDs in the country carry Glocks: Philadelphia, Washington D.C.,Baltimore....until 2002, LA issued Berettas,,,,,now, they can choose from a variety of sidearms, including Glocks.

Seriously, you need to get out more....
rolling.gif

EDIT: @PhotonGuy Got a riddle for you: Even though they all eat grass, rabbits poop pellets, cows poop patties, horses poop little grass balls, and elk poop looks like big milk-duds......can you tell me why?

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
What planet are you on?
rolling.gif

Some of the biggest PDs in the country carry Glocks: Philadelphia, Washington D.C.,Baltimore....until 2002, LA issued Berettas,,,,,now, they can choose from a variety of sidearms, including Glocks.
I meant military officers not police officers.

Yes, I am well aware that police officers in the USA use Glocks, quite often as a matter of fact, but in the US Military they don't use striker fired handguns, and that includes Glocks.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seriously. Do you think for even one second before you post this tripe?

Seriously, do your research. The military does not use striker fired handguns, they use hammer fired handguns instead. At least in the USA that's how it is.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
EDIT: @PhotonGuy Got a riddle for you: Even though they all eat grass, rabbits poop pellets, cows poop patties, horses poop little grass balls, and elk poop looks like big milk-duds......can you tell me why?

I wouldn't know. I don't spend much time thinking about animal dung.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I meant military officers not police officers.

Yes, I am well aware that police officers in the USA use Glocks, quite often as a matter of fact, but in the US Military they don't use striker fired handguns, and that includes Glocks.

That would seem to be incorrect...

At least according to articles here and here and here...

Seriously, do your research.

Excellent advice. You really should consider following it...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, what makes you qualified to discuss firearms, or anything else for that matter, when, by your own admission, you don't know ****?"
rolling.gif
Im not one of those people who would come up with some weird relationship between firearms and animal dung.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not expert on what the American forces use but it says here..... Glock 19 (9×19mm) (USASOC, DEVGRU, MARSOC, USAF)

From List of individual weapons of the U.S. Armed Forces - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Maybe the Glock is sometimes used but from what I know in most branches and with most servicemen, they don't use striker fired handguns including Glocks, its a safety issue. I've known and spoken with many people who have served or are currently serving in the US Military.