Appropriate beginner level stuff?

Leam

White Belt
Reaction score
What would you label as appropriate beginner level stuff? Say, things a person should look at having a basic understanding of in the first 3-6 months? If I understand correctly, Sil Lim Tao is the first form and people usually wait a while before starting the second or third form? What things should a beginner be aware of but not really worry about for a while?

For my own learning style having structured goals really helps when starting something new. For example, "Be able to perform Sil Lim Tao" seems like a reasonable goal. I certainly won't be able to perform it as well as someone who has been training for years, but going from start to finish with some intent in the moves might be reasonable for the first few months. I don't know what else I should be looking at though, and appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Leam

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Each lineage goes about things in a slightly different way even though the core material may be the same for the most part. Within the first 6 months of training, you should be able to execute the form without having to struggle to remember it. You should be able to start taking elements of the form and pressure test them in various drill type situations...ie tan sau vs a punch, etc. Keep in mind that you may not learn applications per se straight out of the form. That is because WC forms are not "fighting forms" but rather forms that are designed to instill concepts and particular body mechanics into your movement.. Good luck with your training

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a constant may be the beginning of acquisition of some semblance of proper stance and movement within whatever style you are studying. I'm still a firm believer in the concept that it starts from the ground (literally) up. Most of what follows flows from basic stance and movement patterns.

OP
L

Leam

White Belt
Reaction score
I think a constant may be the beginning of acquisition of some semblance of proper stance and movement within whatever style you are studying. I'm still a firm believer in the concept that it starts from the ground (literally) up. Most of what follows flows from basic stance and movement patterns.

Agreed! I'm working on that daily. Muscles still getting used to it though. :)

Leam

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed! I'm working on that daily. Muscles still getting used to it though. :)

Leam

Ain't that the truth! Get used to it because muscles do that to you again and again. :) Best of luck.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
At our school, Siu Nim Tao is by no means considered a beginner form, but since it is the first form learned, a beginner should at 6 months be able to perform it proficiently enough that they will soon be ready to add Chum Kiu to their repertoire. Outside of the forms, the first 6 months or so are spent gaining an understanding of basic concepts: centerline, relaxation, rooting, forward energy, etc.

It really varies from lineage to lineage and even school to school, though, so this would be a good discussion to have with your Sifu and Sihing.

bogdan.sifu

White Belt
Reaction score
What would you label as appropriate beginner level stuff? Say, things a person should look at having a basic understanding of in the first 3-6 months? If I understand correctly, Sil Lim Tao is the first form and people usually wait a while before starting the second or third form? What things should a beginner be aware of but not really worry about for a while?

For my own learning style having structured goals really helps when starting something new. For example, "Be able to perform Sil Lim Tao" seems like a reasonable goal. I certainly won't be able to perform it as well as someone who has been training for years, but going from start to finish with some intent in the moves might be reasonable for the first few months. I don't know what else I should be looking at though, and appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Leam

While establishing goals in Wing Chun is a great way to go about it. I remember having decided to become just as fast as my Sifu in 2 years.
And that was when I just started out.

You should take care not to force your knees in the beginning when you do Siu Nim Tao, it takes about 2-3 months to get used to it. So when you feel pain in your knees just get up relax a bit and continue after the pain is gone.

I think that in the beginning it's also important to have a healthy mind set when it comes to training.

I actually wrote and article on '7 ways to Accelerate your Wing Chun skills' containing some ideas that people starting out should have in mind.

Latest Discussions