anything uniqe about the way you fight?

Reaction score
hi , i just wondered itf there was anything uniqe about how you fight , like do you do certain techniqes diferently , is your stance slightly diferent from evr1 elses , or do you have and habits that you cant seem to get rid of when fighting?

my stance is slightly diferent from evry1 elses , me and 2 other people in my club lift our front foot up so the ball of the foot is resting on the floor and the heel is up , and i also have a habit of leaving my hands open (not right open) and having the inside of my hand facing my oponent when im not wearing gloves when im fighting , i dont do those things to look good or anything , they just feel natural , it doesny feel right not doing it , should i do diferently of should keep these things the same?

any advice/stories apreciated

chris

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what rules I was fighting under, I always carried my hands like a western boxer. Another thing is that I constantly switch from southpaw to regular and back again. As a result, I had some rather unorthodox combos.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
chris_มวยไทย said:
hi , i just wondered itf there was anything uniqe about how you fight , like do you do certain techniqes diferently , is your stance slightly diferent from evr1 elses , or do you have and habits that you cant seem to get rid of when fighting?

my stance is slightly diferent from evry1 elses , me and 2 other people in my club lift our front foot up so the ball of the foot is resting on the floor and the heel is up , and i also have a habit of leaving my hands open (not right open) and having the inside of my hand facing my oponent when im not wearing gloves when im fighting , i dont do those things to look good or anything , they just feel natural , it doesny feel right not doing it , should i do diferently of should keep these things the same?

any advice/stories apreciated

chris

I would imagine you'd find this to be the case with everyone alive--two students taught in the same school right next to each other will have different temperament, build, morphology and gifts( I have personally watched TWINS in the same style move differently).

OP
chris_มวยไทย
Reaction score
kool , thanks for the stories , and a bit of random talk: i just got back from training and i had 2 work with one of the assistant instructors , , but the instructors dont do anything when u work with them so he was holding the pads the whole 2 hours and had to do double , then we had circet training at the end!!!!!! im still exuasted and that was an hour ago

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
my front leg is a bit up, i canf ight from both southpaw and orthadox even though i'm a righty. Front leg is front, ball of foot is on the floor and kind of boucing my leg.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like to block with my face... Okay maybe that doesn't sound like a unique skill. lol What I meant to say was counters! I lurv counters and I have a good sense of timing for them. And I'm the type of person that would eat shots to the face on purpose so that I can throw a counter. You'd be surprised how acting like your hurt will help spurr your opponent to finish you off. Then when they least expect it, it's counter time! Once they feel that sting I take great pleasure seeing fear in their eyes.

I always say anybody who takes Muay Thai has a sadistic side. I mean who would dedicate so much time suffering (in training) and keep coming back for more.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
King said:
You'd be surprised how acting like your hurt will help spurr your opponent to finish you off. Then when they least expect it, it's counter time! Once they feel that sting I take great pleasure seeing fear in their eyes.

I always say anybody who takes Muay Thai has a sadistic side. I mean who would dedicate so much time suffering (in training) and keep coming back for more.

two responses here- It's funny how true it is that acting hurt can bring a fighter out of his game plan and open up his defenses. WE were taught to do the opposite however. My teacher always taught a total lack of expression. The idea was - he nails you with his best shot and you don't even blink, just keep comming. Very disheartening. :)

As for the sadistic side, we just used tell each other, "Suck it up now, cause you get to give it all back to the other guy come fight day." heh heh...

Elayna

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, this is a tottaly secret, but I guess Ill tell you guys....My unigue fighting style is......Screaming and running away.....LOLOk, not really, but hey it works....TTYL :) :)

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
two responses here- It's funny how true it is that acting hurt can bring a fighter out of his game plan and open up his defenses. WE were taught to do the opposite however. My teacher always taught a total lack of expression. The idea was - he nails you with his best shot and you don't even blink, just keep comming. Very disheartening. :)

As for the sadistic side, we just used tell each other, "Suck it up now, cause you get to give it all back to the other guy come fight day." heh heh...

Yeah same thing for us. Show no pain and smile as you hit. Which I thought was ridiculous because I'm a serious guy. But when I think about it, I'm really suppose to enjoy the moment so I caved in and break out a winning smile. But a little bit of theatrics can really hype out the crowd. I especially enjoy the "oohh-eeyy!" moments everybody yells when you do consecutive powerful blows.

I remember sparring a guy who kept saying, "ooh that hurt. It felt good do it again." He seriously enjoyed the pain and looked like he was being turned on. I'm like :O psycho! I stopped wanting to hit him. How's that for a unique talent. lol

Giorgio

Green Belt
Reaction score
i'm quite tall (195 cm), so I tend to focus a lot on tiip front kicks, followed up by flying knees or elbows (jumping forward to get all that lovely momentum!) apart from that, I love the double jab, i probably shouldn't as much as I do, and love pushing people's guards to the side when they try to clinch and going for a midkick. Gets me elbowed a few times, but hey!

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I fight I switch sides a lot. I have good timing for jamming, and my automatic defense is a soft reverse punch, which saves me a lot of pain as it is a soft move and not a double sidefist as many equal-belted students have.

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
Stance:

1.) when i fighting in a defensive position I'm south paw. (strong side forward)

because it gives me added power to intercept attacks from my opponent, and counter quickly and with more power.

2.) on offense I've adopted a western boxing stance (strong side in back) but I've made a couple of changes.

although i do change it up. switching from reg to south guard it just plain better. i find it gives you more of an advantage.

when in the western boxing stance my back foot isn't behind my front foot it is angled so i am more squared to my opponent for better overall balance and support. for example, if you kicked a boxer's front leg and he is in the traditional western boxing stance, he would undoubtedly topple over. Also i always maintain a low center point of gravity keeping my weight balanced on both of my feet at all times. and i am always ready to spring from the balls of my feet.

Footwork:

i use triangle footwork on defense and for most of my counterattacks, as well as for feints. triangle foot work is great for feints.

Kicks:

very rarely do i kick above the waist, and if i do it is usually a knee to the face or ribs.
my side kick and turning back kick are very strong. but from what i have learned from studying JKD is it is not practical in a real street fight, it exposes your guard, and makes you susceptible to counter attacks. therefor i do not when i train. and when i see my opponent going for shin kicks to the head or high round house kicks i sweep, trap, and throw, or almost always take them out or i am able to evade.

Punches:

i wait until the last minute to tighten my fist for added power. and i never throw wide hook punches or uppercuts those are my close range punches i find they are much more effective at close range.

i think that's it for my "Stand up"