Anyone recognize this?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
@gpseymour every art is technique based in early stages, Wing Chun can say it isn't, but those 3 forms aren't filled with air, although.......

And even technique based systems teach similar principles as the so called "concept / principle" arts.

It's a matter of wrapping, do you wrap it in a golden or black paper.......
I have studied some arts though that, at least as they are taught, it is all about the mats/techniques. The specific instruction of general principles/concept as an actual tool/method of execution simply wasn't there.

D

Dylan9d

I have studied some arts though that, at least as they are taught, it is all about the mats/techniques. The specific instruction of general principles/concept as an actual tool/method of execution simply wasn't there.

I got both from my teacher, techniques and the principles behind it. But it starts out with a technique.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@gpseymour every art is technique based in early stages, Wing Chun can say it isn't, but those 3 forms aren't filled with air, although.......

And even technique based systems teach similar principles as the so called "concept / principle" arts.

I tend to see it that way, but
I have seen schools where the instruction was technique-based to that extent. They didn't really teach the principles, but expected them to be learned through the techniques. IME, that usually leads to people who make fundamental mistakes until quite late in their training, when they finally realize how the techniques actually work. At that point, they stop mimicking exact movement, and start executing the principles.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You are clearly one of those who sees similarities in the "big picture" where others might focus on differences. You may believe that ultimately, all MA consist of techniques and underlying principles, and that deep understanding one leads to the other. What a ridiculous idea! Next you will be claiming that the Earth is essentially spherical and orbits around the sun! :eek:

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You are clearly one of those who sees similarities in the "big picture" where others might focus on differences. You may believe that ultimately, all MA consist of techniques and underlying principles, and that deep understanding one leads to the other. What a ridiculous idea! Next you will be claiming that the Earth is essentially spherical and orbits around the sun! :eek:
Heretics! Ya'll need to find Wing Chun Jesus. :)

Latest Discussions