Anyone know what these are or what they may be worth?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Without using Google can you tell me where Captain James Cook died?
Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I dont understand what you are asking...Without using google, Im fairly certain he died in Hawaii or the Philippines, but I can;t guarantee which. Why is that important?

OP
R

realg7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I dont understand what you are asking...Without using google, Im fairly certain he died in Hawaii or the Philippines, but I can;t guarantee which. Why is that important?
It's not. I'm just saying not everyone is a history buff. So expecting everyone to know World history may not be a realistic expectation.

He died in Kealakekua Bay on The Big Island. I know that because I was taught Hawaiian History in Hawaii and I grew up in the worst school system in the U.S. Which didn't teach World history unfortunately. So you're right I was trying to save face because I was embarrassed that I did not know that, both you and Tez are correct.

And I was in the military for 4 years and deployed to the Korengal Valley and watched people die so we could build roads.... But you know, they never once spoke to us about WW1 in the military, Vietnam sure, but not WW1. So I apologize for lying about it, but as a veteran with PTSD I understand your point, but not everyone is as formally educated as you all.

I went from a fighter, to a soldier, to a survivor, to a father and finally a student, soon to be a teacher, but I never had the time or luxury to be properly educated on those Wars!

What you perceive to be the norm may not be the norm for some. Yes I'm embarrassed about my lack of knowledge.....

Guilty as charged.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
World War One and World War Two are such enormous events which changed the world that really not knowing is amazing and sadly not teaching about them seems to be becoming more common so you aren't alone.
Most military have events which commemorate battles and those that were lost in these wars. Military training and the way wars were fought were changed by the First World War, foreign polices were defined by them as were policies in Germany which lead to the Second World War. These two wars are such history defining events that films and television dramas are still made about them, there are also dozens of documentaries about varying aspects of these wars.
It's never too late to catch up, learning stuff keeps the brain from getting old, ( or in my case older lol) I worry about Alzheimers so I devour learning anything like mad. Sadly anything mathematical still passes me by, I was taught well as a child but cannot do anything to do with numbers, I'm stuck without a calculator. The days here pre decimal money was a nightmare!

All my martial arts students have done a few tours in Afghan, two didn't come back. I'm no stranger to the place either.

Incidentally, James Cook was born not far from where I live and he moved as a child to even closer at Great Ayton.

OP
R

realg7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
World War One and World War Two are such enormous events which changed the world that really not knowing is amazing and sadly not teaching about them seems to be becoming more common so you aren't alone.
Most military have events which commemorate battles and those that were lost in these wars. Military training and the way wars were fought were changed by the First World War, foreign polices were defined by them as were policies in Germany which lead to the Second World War. These two wars are such history defining events that films and television dramas are still made about them, there are also dozens of documentaries about varying aspects of these wars.
It's never too late to catch up, learning stuff keeps the brain from getting old, ( or in my case older lol) I worry about Alzheimers so I devour learning anything like mad. Sadly anything mathematical still passes me by, I was taught well as a child but cannot do anything to do with numbers, I'm stuck without a calculator. The days here pre decimal money was a nightmare!

All my martial arts students have done a few tours in Afghan, two didn't come back. I'm no stranger to the place either.

Incidentally, James Cook was born not far from where I live and he moved as a child to even closer at Great Ayton.
Right now I'm reading EVERYTHING by Thich Nhat Hanh

Kiki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Generally bayonets don't go for a lot on the antiques market. They get sold in batches for that reason.
Those look to be in really good shape though.

Latest Discussions