Anyone know the back story here?

OP
anerlich

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For what it's worth the colors shown in the OP isn't belts but colored patches.
And many very good legitimate BJJ schools use colors at the lower levels than just White to Blue. The North American Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation requires White, Gray,Yellow, Orange, and Green prior to Blue for ages 15 and under.

THat's close to standard IBJJF.

faixasibjjf.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, the idea, and I think it's a good one, is that a blue belt for kids is like the black belt for adults. Kids work toward their first adult rank. And also, fwiw, this has not changed significantly since at least 2005 when I started training.
I like having separate ranks for kids. This concept exists in NGA, too. Kids (originally 12-15 years old, I think, but has expanded in many schools) get 3 junior ranks, I think (yellow, blue, green), then can test for adult yellow. It's visually more confusing than the approach in the BJJ Federation (because the same colors are used for the first three adult ranks), but a similar idea.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had quite a discussion with these guys on fb lol. Apparently they are a BJJ school (the most effective martial art on the planet! - according to them). Someone at some point has picked up a little WT, but not up to instructor level it would seem, and they have admittedly heavily modified/filled in the gaps to the point that the little bit that they have shouldn't even be classified at WT anymore. When I called them out on lineage, they deflected me.

Their "unified" grading system for the "entire" WT lineage around the world is a bunch of made up junk, and with the inconsistencies I see in everything else, I seriously doubt their BJJ credentials as well. And reading the description of their system on the patches tells me they really don't know anything about the WT curriculum other than what they may have read on the internet.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fun thing is this being a German group / school using WingTsun as name when in same country as Kernspecht who mind you has been quite on the defensive protecting his trademark WingTsun™.

Of course that is just silly, but still those guys may get some heat eventually.

Sad part is that to me the video indicates that they have no idea exactly what they are doing and may cause their students to injure themselves. Then again I may be wrong, not a lot of material to go by.

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it, though many KF schools with ranking systems seem to go for red and gold sashes to denote instructorhood rather than black belts.

Unless your traditions become impractical, be proud of them and keep them, IMO.

Some of the FB comments are pretty loopy, and at least one commentator lost his cool big time.

"A belt covers 2 inches of your @$$. You are responsible for the rest"

Royce Gracie - yes he actually says that at his seminars or at least the one I went to.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"A belt covers 2 inches of your @$$. You are responsible for the rest"

Royce Gracie - yes he actually says that at his seminars or at least the one I went to.
Such a great line. I'll have to borrow that one.

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
I usually try to be impartial when it comes to sparring videos, to each their own, but, that video was utterly ridiculous and unrealistic. And they are adopting the BJJ ranking system to equate a relationship of realism & effectiveness? I seen just about every don't do & bad habit possible exhibited in that "sparring" video. But whatever, to each their own I guess.

Using this scale of realism and effectiveness LOL.

Latest Discussions