Anyone know guitars?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just picked up a New York Pro SG copy for $100. I don't play but my wife does. She said she'd teach me if I wanted or she'd keep it for herself. Anyone here know if this is a decent electric or did I waste my money?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the brand....I wouldn't expect miracles for $100, but it could still be a serviceable learning instrument. is the neck straight? Does it make a ton of noise when you plug it in?

I started playing on a fnder knock off I go tin a kit...guitar, amp, tuner and strap for 199.99 ....I just traded up to a nice Ibanez earlier this year....but that cheap guitar was agreat tool to learn on. At least, if you find it's not for you, you aren't out a ton of cash.

I'd say don't worry too much about the make of the guitar...learn how to play and then as your skills grow, you'll know when it is time to move on up.

Peace,
Erik

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks. The neck is straight. It makes almost no noise when I plug it into the amp. I put a new set of strings on it and it tuned with my wifes tuner in no time flat. Seems to be a decent machine so far. The guy I got it from really got himself into some trouble during the holidays and needed the money in a bad way. He has several guitars and figured he'd make some quick money by getting rid of one of them.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
As earlier posted...neck is straight, no damages, etc....tuning pegs are ok....
check the intonation (google how to...easy.. if I can do it...)
Sounds like a great way to get interested in playing...learn some basics and play, play, play.....1000 hours of practice and you'll be doing fine...try playing along to songs on youtube..great source...try and find simple 3 or 4 chord tunes...plenty out there...important thing is to have fun...once you're comfortable...try and find a group that has similar interest...I picked up bass about 6 years when the current player moved over to keybds....we play ever Sunday night for fun....play out 5 -6 times a year......Always fun....

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
100_0121.jpg

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know guitars- but mainly basses. Like they said before- if the neck is straight and it doesn't make a bunch of static- you spent 100.00 for a good start.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did some looking around on the net and found one for sale. I also found some reviews that gave very good marks for it. Erica and I are constantly looking for new things to do together. Right now I'm teaching her the ins and outs of pistol shooting and it looks like she'll begin teaching me to play. I have no aspirations of being the next B.B. King but I'd love to learn to play the blues.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just picked up a New York Pro SG copy for $100. I don't play but my wife does. She said she'd teach me if I wanted or she'd keep it for herself. Anyone here know if this is a decent electric or did I waste my money?

Hey man. I'm a guitar player and restorer myself so I may be able to offer some help. The brand I don't know but being $100 and an SG copy I'm gonna assume it's a bolt on neck rather than a set neck. The problem with that is that bolt on SGs are notorious for having a weak neck joint so the neck will eventually move causing intonation problems and maybe even separate from the body. But this is all assuming it's not a set neck which I sincerly hope it is.

Aside from that on a $100 guitar you are gonna have problems with hardware, they use bargin basement parts to save on cost. I myself could never put together a guitar for that price. Starting with a set of 2 PAF Pro or equivalent pickups will run you $60 each, a good set of tuners about $20, a solid bridge made of steel (not aluminum or tin) $40, good nickel-steel fretwire $70.

In my head I never understood a guitar for less than $500, you end up with pretty questionable gear. But maybe if it was used and she got it for that price it could have once sold for a decent price.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
use untile you feel you WANT to spend more $$....at which time put it back on the market & you'll get back most of the cash...for the same reasons your wife bought it...cheap player to introduce yourself to music with.....

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

You didn't waste your money. Even if you find its a terrible guitar, or playing doesn't interest you, you can list it in the want ads for $100 and you'll get your money right back. When I had to sell most my guitars a few years ago, my $100 strat copy with a dodgy neck sold within a day. I paid $100 for it five years before and largely used it for playing slide. ;)

MBuzzy, based on some of your prior posts, you are very mindful of music, I'm guessing you already play another instrument, or have enough appreciation for the arts where your ear already has some training. Be mindful of this when you learn how to play. A common issue with cheaper guitars is tuning machines that seem OK when you try it out, but don't hold their tune as you are learning to play. If you find your guitar isn't holding its tune very well, consider looking at a better quality instrument if you find that playing the guitar interests you.

Enjoy the journey, its a great ride, and an instrument you can enjoy your whole life :)

Latest Discussions