Anyone know a good full time live-in Hapkido school?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
5-6 days a week, a few hours each day.

It could be better, on both counts. I'm under no illusions about the difficulty involved. It's not like I'm thinking that I'll live there, go on parties on weekends, get laid with the local chicks, upload a few photos and videos on Facebook and quickly become a self defense Guru. I know it's gonna be hell sometimes, but no pain no gain, right?

I don't think you're going there to party. I just think that if you're inexperienced and not in great physical shape, you're going to get a whole lot more pain than gain out of this endeavor. My experience is that for new, out-of-shape students, it's usually a struggle to do more than one hour of training per day. Jumping straight into exercising 5-6 hours per day is asking a lot of your body.

Also, on a logistical level, I don't know how many school owners even teach Hapkido for 6 hours every day, especially to adults. Most full-time dojangs I've seen in the US are usually open for 4-5 hours per weeknight plus a few morning classes, and at least half of the classes are for kids.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you're interested in training in Korea, it might be easier to just contact a dojang and tell them what you want. Our taekwondojang runs classes 7 days per week for 2-4 hours a day in the evenings. I would imagine there are hapkido schools running similar schedules.

The difficulties may be finding an instructor who speaks enough English to make detailed arrangements, arranging for a place to sleep, and arranging to travel outside of Korea every 90 days if you don't get an extension for your "tourist visa" (assuming you are an American).

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk 2

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hapkido is not a place, it is a Way. It does not matter which air you breathe or which earth you track across the floor. It is the Way you breath, the Way you track. A Way does not depend on geography only that you follow it.

Latest Discussions