Anyone in the DMV?

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'll be on the East Coast DMV area for a few days, and I'd love to meet up with people to train with while I'm there, if anyone is in that area. I'll be arriving in Baltimore Friday morning, I have some private lessons to teach with some students out there and I have a concert to do Sunday night, but I'll have a few days of open schedule.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll be on the East Coast DMV area for a few days, and I'd love to meet up with people to train with while I'm there, if anyone is in that area. I'll be arriving in Baltimore Friday morning, I have some private lessons to teach with some students out there and I have a concert to do Sunday night, but I'll have a few days of open schedule.

DMV?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My drivers license does not need renewal for a few more years, so no I will not be hanging out at the Department or Motor Vehicles.

Thanks for asking.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
DC, Maryland and,Virginia , come on lads I'm 2000 miles away and i know that, you just need to watch ncis

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lol I was thinking Dept of Motor Vehicles as well. And I am an NCIS fan and still didn't get it. :p

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
DC, Maryland and,Virginia , come on lads I'm 2000 miles away and i know that, you just need to watch ncis
I honestly didn’t know that. Yeah, it’s pretty sad when a Brit has to educate me on my own country.

OP
Bino TWT

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lmao I will be in the Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia area on the east coast of the United States, to clarify.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I live in at NC / SC border and had some extended family in the DC area, but that's a new one for me!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If one is from the East Coast the "DMV" means one thing and one thing only, The Department of Motor Vehicles.

But had that been the case here I'm sure it's complete title would have been used to avoid confusion -
The Fricken' DMV.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you guys really have to still go to the (fricken') DMV in person to do things with licencing and stuff?

It's all online here...

OP
Bino TWT

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Most people I know from that area call it the DMV. I actually had to ask one of them what it meant. Maybe not an East Coast thing, but a DMV thing for sure lol.

In Texas, we don't have a DMV, we have DOT & DPS.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people I know from that area call it the DMV. I actually had to ask one of them what it meant. Maybe not an East Coast thing, but a DMV thing for sure lol.

In Texas, we don't have a DMV, we have DOT & DPS.
It's relatively local slang... cropped up 8 or 10vyears back, I guess. Sometimes it's DC-MD-VA, sometimes DE-MD-VA, though that one is more often DelMarVa.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you guys really have to still go to the (fricken') DMV in person to do things with licencing and stuff?

It's all online here...
Most things are done online in NYS. You have to show up in person to get an enhanced license, which I needed to do a few weeks ago.

I think all renewals are online, but you may have to go if you need new plates, new license, transfer license, etc.

I really hate that place.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most things are done online in NYS. You have to show up in person to get an enhanced license, which I needed to do a few weeks ago.

I think all renewals are online, but you may have to go if you need new plates, new license, transfer license, etc.

I really hate that place.

Apart from going to a test centre for the actual driving test, everything else is remote - I took my test in 1994 and did everything by post.

Out of interest, what's an enhanced licence?

Our method of vehicle registration is different too - the plate is issued to the vehicle on first registration and stays with it for life, irrespective of ownership (unless you want a personal/vanity plate) and all of that is by post/online too...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apart from going to a test centre for the actual driving test, everything else is remote - I took my test in 1994 and did everything by post.

Out of interest, what's an enhanced licence?

Our method of vehicle registration is different too - the plate is issued to the vehicle on first registration and stays with it for life, irrespective of ownership (unless you want a personal/vanity plate) and all of that is by post/online too...
Enhanced license allows you to travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean by car or boat without a Passport. Basically it’s a mini passport. I had to go to Toronto for a wedding, and my passport expired more than 10 years ago, unbeknownst to me. The passport would’ve taken too long as it wouldn’t have been a simple renewal because it expired too long ago.

Enhanced license needs more proof of ID than a standard license. They need proof of citizenship and residency. I had about 5 documents I needed to bring in person.

I’ve heard all the states are going to “real ID” licenses in the near future. They’re going to require more proof of identity to get them, and I think everyone will have to show up in person to get them. Reading between the lines, I think it’s about eliminating loopholes in the process to keep non-residents of states and illegal aliens from getting licenses. Literature also says everyone flying domestically will need “real ID” by a certain date and then enhanced license by a later date. A passport will be accepted instead of it though. Basically, you need the pretty much the same proof of ID as a passport to get one. The advantage of the enhanced license is they’re cheaper and quicker to get than an actual passport, hence why I got mine.

I’m not sure about new plates online. We don’t need them every time we renew or even transfer them to a different vehicle. But if you’re adding a car, you need new plates. We sold my wife’s car a few years ago and bought a new one 2-3 months later (we had her disabled uncle who couldn’t drive’s car in the meantime). There was no plate to transfer, so we needed a new one because we turned the old on in. I don’t think we could’ve done that online at the time.