Anyone in TCM training iron palm?

grappling_mandala

Green Belt
Reaction score
What's your training methods? What have you broke? Just curious about this branch of specialized conditioning. What is the length of time before results are witnessed? Is training done in cycles?

Dave in Oregon

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train in iron body including palm, arm, shin etc. I wouldn't recomend it without a skilled instructor to help you and help monitor your progress. It is done in cycles, you have to start very slow and work up. It needs to be very slow progression. Usually it takes a while to see results, but you can really hurt yourself if you do it wrong.

7sm

OP
G

grappling_mandala

Green Belt
Reaction score
How long have you been doing it? Do you make your own Dit Dat Jow or get it elsewhere?

Thanks 7*.

Dave

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've done iron body for about 4 years. I didn't for a while and now I'm doing it again very regularly and intense, for about 2 years now. I get my jow from my sigung, but I do have a recipe to make it myself, I've just not had the time or inclination to do so yet.

7sm

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I haven't actually bought one, but you think then the iron palm kits you can buy ( like the ones at www.martialartsmart.com) are a bad idea??

Btw, is sex a factor of your iron skill ??? ( my shifu says 40 days abstinence before you can safely practice.....which is why he doesn't )

And what method are you using for your Iron palm. In china I saw alot of iron palm bagua style and for the most part, conditioning was hours of palm strikes ( spaced itermitently with qigong slapping sets) against Iron basketball poles. Guess you just make do when you don't have a kit ha :D

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
I haven't actually bought one, but you think then the iron palm kits you can buy ( like the ones at www.martialartsmart.com) are a bad idea??
Well, in my opinion I wouldn't say a bad idea, but more a waste of money. In my experience the packaged jow kits aren't as good as home-made jow....I guess kind of like chocolate chip cookies eh? For one, the jow I use has been aged for at least 2 years. The recipie has been formulated for intense iron training and has been in use for many, many years.

Blooming Lotus said:
Btw, is sex a factor of your iron skill ??? ( my shifu says 40 days abstinence before you can safely practice.....which is why he doesn't )
I hadn't heard that about iron training. I have heard it in refrence to cultivating chi. I'm sure there is a reason behind it, but I dont think the benefits outweigh the abstinance. Plus I'm married and thats a whole other discussion. If you choose that route I deffinitely think it will work, but I dont see any real difference (yet) in practicing without the abstinance.

Blooming Lotus said:
And what method are you using for your Iron palm. In china I saw alot of iron palm bagua style and for the most part, conditioning was hours of palm strikes ( spaced itermitently with qigong slapping sets) against Iron basketball poles. Guess you just make do when you don't have a kit ha :D
Yes, I started with a soft water bag and worked my way up. I dont do as much fist punching into steel as I do a steel shot bag. My othe riron body is usually with a partner or using a staff or something to roll down my arm, shin, etc. I do use alot of qigong during the iron body training however.

7sm

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
fair enough 7 , but you say you practice qigong and yet pricipals on chi cultivation during your internal branch cultivation are irrelevant....well if you're pulling it off ....... you just are.... alot of folks "I" personally know though are going to beg to differ ............

btw ditdarjoiws are different from shop to shop / school to school anyway.........I do agree that martialartsmarts tea isn't anywhere to that standard , but what good jow is "not " formulated on traditional principals to work under these conditions???

Oh: and weight watchers do great choc-chip cookies!!! ;) :)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
fair enough 7 , but you say you practice qigong and yet pricipals on chi cultivation during your internal branch cultivation are irrelevant....well if you're pulling it off ....... you just are.... alot of folks "I" personally know though are going to beg to differ ............
Wow, I actually said nothing like that. You somehow got that I said principles of chi cultivation or irrelevant? I can't even figure out how you could get that from anything I've said.

Blooming Lotus said:
btw ditdarjoiws are different from shop to shop / school to school anyway.........I do agree that martialartsmarts tea isn't anywhere to that standard , but what good jow is "not " formulated on traditional principals to work under these conditions???
Actually there are different "recipies" for different types of training. I didn't say some recipies didn't work under iron body circumstances, I just simply said my recipie is specifically for the way I train iron body. Each school usually has their own recipie as well as small changes in the way they train iron body.

7sm

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I do believe there is a thread in this section about Dit Da Jow recipes, or maybe it was about a book of recipes, perhaps a good place to look for info.

A---)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
clearly unrelated...have you been overtraining / undersleeping again??? :p
First of all, there is not reason to get an attitude. Second of all the quote you just listed was something I said about a question you asked about sex while training in iron palm. What in the world does that have to do with what we were just talking about? You need to try and be more clear with your posts, its really hard to understand what your saying. Your also reading others at least my post wrong. I never said anything about anything being irrelevent, esdpecially chi cultivation. You completely butchered what I said.

Tell you what, lets leave it at that since I really have no clue what your even saying.

7sm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
grappling_mandala said:
What's your training methods? What have you broke? Just curious about this branch of specialized conditioning. What is the length of time before results are witnessed? Is training done in cycles?

Dave in Oregon
Dave,
Have you started iron training? Or where you just curious about that type of training? Its deffinitely a slow process, but in my opinion well worth it. I dont go crazy with it like some do, but having the conditioning really pays off when fighting someone else that has some conditioning, and really is nice against someone with no conditioning, you can really see your progress.

7sm

Latest Discussions