Anyone can get a Black Belt? Is this True?

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Enson said:
i think anyone if they put their mind to it can at least attain shodan but then when they have recieved that they will realize they have only yet begun.
The characters for "shodan" in Japanese mean "Beginning Step". From my experience, in Japan, that's exactly what it means in most dojo. After 2 or 3 years of training, you've learned the basics and taken your first "step" onto the ladder. It doesn't mean you understand everything in the school you're studying or that you can even "fight well"...just that you've learned the basics. Anyone can learn the basics.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I hope to attain, at least, black belt level, I entered MA with the belief, 'the point of the journey is not to arrive'. I look forward to learning my basics correctly and learning beyond black as fully as I can.

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is a big difference in getting a black belt and being a black belt. Some people talk the talk, and some people walk the walk. In the end it comes down to what you want to get out of it, what you're willing to put into it, and who you choose to guide you on that path.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I would have to agree with the general concencus here, I am not a black belt and have no pretentions about not being a black belt, however, I do know that if, and when, I am eventually awarded a black belt it will be because I have earned it, not bought it.

Those people out there who wear a black belt which they have not really earned by proving their martial proficiency (i.e. being able to fight!!!) are an insult to the rest of us who train hard with the intention of becoming a better martial artist and hopefully a better person, and merely perpetuate the myth which is now becoming more and more common amongst the layman that "That stuff don't really work..."
From mo own point of view, I would rather be a proficient green belt than a useless black belt who gets his backside kicked the first time he is jumped by some drunken idiot in a bar. (and for the record those of us without a black belt ranking are not necessarily without ability in a self defence situation)

Just my thoughts...

S

Shidan

Yes, anyone can get a black belt. I have witnessed -far too many and was require to promote a number of incompetent individuals.

I have since left the style as it is currently populated with a bunch of kids wearing 6th degree Master belts because their daddy runs the organization. The kids even direct what what 7th & 8th degree Masters are supposed to do as well. A bit messed up.

However, in that style a person merely needed to attend class, attend group functions (seminars) and hang out for 3-6 years to get a black belt. 3 years for a male of the age of 15-25, longer for everyone else.

Better still, you won't receive a certificate of your rank until your next belt. Nice way to keep people around paying. You can wear your master belt -you just really are not one on paper.

G

greyghost

Unfortunately, yes, anyone can get a blackbelt.

True story #1: I'm in a small town. We have a guy here who taught himself MA from BOOKS, granted himself a 7th-Dan, and opened a school! It's really interesting to watch his classes. *cough*

True story #2: My family moved when I was in college, and I started looking for a new school in the area that I felt I could work with. I was a 4th Kup (4 ranks below black) and the instructor himself, while good in form, was mostly interested in the number of trophies that could adorn his front windows. After spending a half hour dissing my old school in front of my dad (which ticked me off, it was a very good school)... then being impressed by my kicks and style in class, he came up to me after that first class and said "Your kicks are great. Tell you what, work with me for 6 months, and I'll give you your blackbelt."
I was kind of rude in my reply, I guess. But I told him I wanted to earn my black, not have it given to me. I finished my month's contract to ensure my little brother's safety, and never came back.

True story #3: Another school. Not the best...but there was one Dan that I could not understand as a blackbelt. He was sloppy, he had no control, his forms were terrible. He had been with the school for 8 years and they had finally just given it to him for perserverance's sake.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been under the impression that at least the prespective of where I attend, is that a black belt means you have learned the basics of the sport and all the techniques and that progression through the Dan ranks is really perfecting and mastering all the techniques, etc. Getting to BB is preparing for the journey, BB is where the journey really begins.

Not meaning to downplay just getting a BB; preparing for the journey itslef seems to take a lot of work and prepatation and practice and focus and persaverence

S

Shidan

FearlessFreep said:
I've been under the impression that at least the prespective of where I attend, is that a black belt means you have learned the basics of the sport and all the techniques and that progression through the Dan ranks is really perfecting and mastering all the techniques, etc. Getting to BB is preparing for the journey, BB is where the journey really begins.

Not meaning to downplay just getting a BB; preparing for the journey itslef seems to take a lot of work and prepatation and practice and focus and persaverence
I absolutley agree that BB is the beginning! At BB one only has knowledge of the moves and may or may not know what they mean just yet -that is what the rest of the journey is for.

Just stinks when a young kid (someone 25 or younger) is named to a 'master' when all they have is the physical movements. No understanding of life as a whole.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, not everyone can be a black belt. Everyone has the potential to be a black belt. There is a difference. Not everyone will earn a diploma, though everyone has the potential.
Lots of things come into play. How hard you train, how good your technique is, how good your Instructor is, your concentration level, your attitude.
If you come to class and treat Tae Kwon Do or any MA as a game or simply recreation and a chance to meet guys or women, you will never make black belt. Not legitimately anyway.
If your technique couldn't beat off a 90 year old blind grandma with arthritis, you will not make black belt.
If your Instructor magically became a 7th Dan during the 13 hour flight from Korea to America, your Dan certificate is questionable.
If you think Tae Kwon Do is designed to hurt people so they respect and fear you, you should not be a black belt.

There is a difference between a black belt and a Black Belt. A black belt can be bought around $20 in a supply store and gives you a false sense of accomplishment. It is usually given by phony teachers just happy to have your money.
A Black Belt is something you busted your *** for, sweated and bled for, endured your Instructor yelling at you for, and is worn proudly because you know you earned it. Mine is anyway.
As I said, everyone has the potential to be a Black Belt, but not many will.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichTKD,

That's a "keeper." A good instructor will bring out the black belt in a student whose willing to pay the price in sweat, aches and time.

Miles

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with pretty much everyone that a bb is just beggining to learn. In our art we really don't even get into the philoshical stuff until after the bb. Also we don't do the majority of eapons until after black belt. As for the last thing in the first post no i don't think black belts should have to go through the government. its a nice idea but there are too many styles and substyles(many of them unknown) to mantain a fair testing systemand also too many government officials are corrupt and make me want to do this :mp5: but i won't cause i'm too nice of a guy...

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I believe that if anyone sticks with the art, they can eventually earn the rank of black belt. However, there are people who are selling black belts on ebay which I do not agree with. I mean where is the integrity?

K

KenpoNoChikara

masherdong said:
Well, I believe that if anyone sticks with the art, they can eventually earn the rank of black belt. However, there are people who are selling black belts on ebay which I do not agree with. I mean where is the integrity?
Black Belts on EBay???????? What next....Lol, ya think you've seen everything that's really too bad

By any chance do you remember who it was that was selling them?

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Black Belts on EBay???????? What next....Lol, ya think you've seen everything that's really too bad

By any chance do you remember who it was that was selling them?
I don't want to point fingers or mention names because I think they post on here too. All you have to do is type in karate in the search field and they will pop up.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Have you notice how many people who have a Black Belts. Watch them workout or perform somewhere and you wonder about their skills?

Many schools have a minumum requirements and lenght of time, as short as one year to two years only? Does this make sense? What are your thoughts?

Should this be like a State licence, for journey man workers,lawyers,doctors,mechanics,school teachers?

In the words of one of my instructors "desire is not enough." So no, not everyone can be a black belt. At our school a black belt is considered an instructor rank, this is not the same thing as "knowing all your basics." There are certain mental and physical attributes that have to be acquired, they should be attainable by almost everyone, but most people either can't or don't.

Lamont

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Personally, since I can buy one for $5 (complete with certificate), register my 'art' with some soke council or black belt society ($100-$3,000), I dismiss most claims of rank and look at a persons associations, peers (who endorse), and movements on the matt as criteria for selecting an instructor.
Sad but true..$5.00? that's a good price..The last one I saw was $35.00, I'll bet that was due to the wooden frame the certificate came in..