Anybody on here used martial arts for self defense?

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Tiberius, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Tiberius

Tiberius Green Belt

Did you use martial arts for self defense? If so what kind of technique did you use? Was it more like grappling, or more like kicking and punching?

2. dbell

dbell Blue Belt

Unfortunately yes. Punching, kicking, throwing, and some grappling, but more locks than grappling...

3. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Have the courage to speak softly

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    To my shame, aye, I have had to use my martial arts training 'for real'. Only once but that is once too many.

To cut a long story short I made a couple of bad choices in selection of route home and reaction to a group of skinheads spoiling for trouble.

Because real fights are not like the movies, it was over in a handful of seconds and I was running to the police station.

If I recall correctly, there was one block that turned into a lock and a break and one low kick. That was it, bar a bit of manoeuvreing with the chap I had hold of to fend off the third attacker.

We've discussed several times here whether the 'fancy stuff' has a place in the real world and the jury is out on it - some of us think yes and some no, with the deciding factor always being circumstances and quality of opponent.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Becca

Becca Yellow Belt

Unfortunately I have. I was actually walking home from class. I ended up using a an elbow, a lock and a kick then ran. My instructor maintains that your first line of defense should be to run away.

5. Tiberius

Tiberius Green Belt

O and I went ahead and wrote you in a pm you should learn grappling because taekwondo aint supposed to be all that good for self defense.

6. Slipper

Slipper Orange Belt

Becca,

I am sorry that you found yourself in that position but I'm glad you escaped safely. Your instructor is correct, always avoid a fight whenever possible.

Your art seems to have served you well!

All the best~

7. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

Tiberius, behave!!
    Her instructor is perfectly correct and you shouldn't be criticising an art you don't actually do!
    Becca did all the right things, the last thing she needed was to go to ground so good on you girl!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Absolutely seconded, Tez.

Tiberius, comments about the applicability of any and all martial arts can be leveled quite easily, I have been (slightly?) vocal of late in my opinion that no martial arts are designed for self defence, that includes Tae Kwon Do, Judo, BJJ, MMA, Karate, my own Ninjutsu, and really everything else. However the thing to remember is that they can almost all be trained as a template from which to learn self defence skills, but any comment that one is "not supposed to be all that good for self defence" is to imply that other arts are better, and that simply isn't the case. The defining factor is the way the training is approached, and if Becca's training led her to respond with the actions she did, and she got away safely, that is ideal! Arguments as to "you should have done this, or that" are incredibly moot, and actually counter-productive, the same as any discussions of "what would you do if....?".

You may also want to remember that you are, by your own description of your background, incredibly new to the arts, studying Judo (although your profile lists a white belt in Jujutsu), and that is just one possible approach. I would say that Becca's situation sounds like it was handled brilliantly, and kudos to her (and her instructor, and the method approached for training, if concepts such as escape are part of the self defence aspect, as that is not part of the martial art) for that.

9. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Well....... according to Iain Abernethy karate was formed precisely for self defence against ruffians and scoundrels not martial artists........lol but that's another argument :ultracool You can argue it out with Iain by email (he likes emails)

At work being female I often get 'well what I would have done is..' it's incredibly annoying to be second guessed and we all respond differently, I respond to situations in the way that works for me. Distraction techniques especially painful ones work very well, for women perhaps more so. I'd never advocate a woman standing and fighting unless it was absolutely unavoidable and then I'd say go for every dirty technique you can and still try to get away as soon as possible.

Tiberius it would be worth searching though past threads on self defence here, there's been a fair few with many different opinions.

10. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Ha, yeah, I have a huge amount of respect for Iain and his approach to the art, I think he is probably one of the closest to the way it was intended.... but I still disagree that "self defence" was the original intention. That is a modern term, and predominantly a legal distinction. I would say that "technical effectiveness" was the aim. May sound like a small disctinction, but it's actually quite large (and changes in the attacking forms encountered today take it even further from self defence as well...). But you're absolutely right, that is an argument for another place....

To add to the thread topic, though, yes, I have in a number of situations, including groups. Some I managed to get away from without violence, others required a more "forceful" approach.

11. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    In person Iain puts it a bit more succinctly and earthily, it's less 'self defence' and more ' you attack me and I'll knock you the **** out and generally make you very sorry you started on me' which is ideal, we don't want to fight but if we have to we want to be the one walking away.

My self defence usually stems from people running away and fighting back when we catch up with them or people not wanting to come with us. My instructor uses his a lot when he's doing the doors or as a close protection officer or just when he's out tbh..

12. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Yeah, that's removed from "self defence" to me. The distinction between self defence and combat effectiveness (or any kind of effectiveness, for that matter) is important, and if your take on it is "they fight back when we catch up with them", that's kind of the opposite of SD. But we really shouldn't take over another thread with this little discussion, right?

13. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

We may have to have another thread as I can't have people thinking men fight me off when I chase them ROFLMAO! or even that I need to chase men!!
    Is self defence the opposite of self abuse then?

14. Tiberius

Tiberius Green Belt

Hey, that girls should emphasis grappling for self defense because they might have a harder time to keep their footing against a larger opponent wasnt my personal opinion, just something somebody with more experience said. Then again she might have just tried to sell her own art XD. Didnt think that through.

I do not even do Jiujitsu, gotta take a look at my profile.

15. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    The point is more that when you have someone like Becca, who has faith in her system, and her instructor (I assume?), and has had that faith proven correct in a real altercation/situation, turning around afterwards and telling her she should be training in something else because what she is training in isn't very good is not only arrogant, it's potentially damaging to her martial arts experience. And the person you took that advice from was basically scare-mongering people into training in their approach, which is usually a sign of a lack of confidence on their part. Personally, I would simply leave it at congratulations to Becca, keep doing what you're doing!

16. Tiberius

Tiberius Green Belt

I wrote that before she posted here. I meant to say, Oo I lectured you how taekwondo is bad for self defense and now I read you knocked out a guy in self defense.

17. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Okay. That does still leave the question as to why you felt you were in a position to "lecture" Becca about that in the first place? Had she asked you specifically for advice, or did you take it upon yourself to tell her what she should be training in?

18. Tiberius

Tiberius Green Belt

You are a mighty curious fella aint you :)

19. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    That I am... hey, it's what's made me who I am, really! But you may notice I have chosen not to ask such questions as why you, a man, have started 2 of your 5 threads in the Women's Locker Room, which is supposed to be a place for the women of MT....

20. Tiberius

Tiberius Green Belt

No harm done. I am mighty curious myself, its how you learn. But good points so far about advising, not advising people on what martial art to take. I just got bored going back and forth on that topic, also I feel I already derailed the thread off topic enough as it is :p .