Any wing chun instgram users?

WcForMe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently just joined instgram. I'm gunna try to use it almost daily to keep a training diary. There's a few clips of me lightly messing around with a 21 stone guy that over six ft. Bear in mind I'm 5 ft 7 and a bit and weigh around 12.5 ish. It's not that impressive to be honest. But I'm hoping it will inspire me to keep persevering in my training. My usernames is wingchun_carter.

Was wondering if anybody else has done the same or uses instagram for the same thing? I don't do social media at all so it's all new to me. Any comments welcome.

(Moderators I hope this doesn't contravene any rules of the forum. If so apologies, don't mean to offend feel free to delete if it does.)

Many Thanks

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently just joined instgram. I'm gunna try to use it almost daily to keep a training diary. There's a few clips of me lightly messing around with a 21 stone guy that over six ft. Bear in mind I'm 5 ft 7 and a bit and weigh around 12.5 ish. It's not that impressive to be honest. But I'm hoping it will inspire me to keep persevering in my training. My usernames is wingchun_carter.

Was wondering if anybody else has done the same or uses instagram for the same thing? I don't do social media at all so it's all new to me. Any comments welcome.

(Moderators I hope this doesn't contravene any rules of the forum. If so apologies, don't mean to offend feel free to delete if it does.)

Many Thanks

That is a good idea. Personally, I am going to start up a YouTube channel about my training. However, I might start up Instagram along with it. Why not? :)

OP
W

WcForMe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That is a good idea. Personally, I am going to start up a YouTube channel about my training. However, I might start up Instagram along with it. Why not? :)
Just food for thought to be honest. I'm not a social media fan and YouTube has too many keyboard warriors that have little to no experience. I can take some verbal sparring shall we say. But I'm not that great so thought it would be a better place to trial things. Only bummer is the video can't be longer than a minute. If it goes well I may progress to YouTube. If not it's a good way of storing information for the future. Hopefully will show some progression and keep my spirits up and push me a little bit harder.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just food for thought to be honest. I'm not a social media fan and YouTube has too many keyboard warriors that have little to no experience. I can take some verbal sparring shall we say. But I'm not that great so thought it would be a better place to trial things. Only bummer is the video can't be longer than a minute. If it goes well I may progress to YouTube. If not it's a good way of storing information for the future. Hopefully will show some progression and keep my spirits up and push me a little bit harder.

Well, I guess it all depends on a person's tolerance level. I have never been one to give a damn about the keyboard warriors. I like it for the fact that the videos can be longer, and plus there is the easy-to-navigate video library. (Not sure how easy it is to use Instagram, as I have never really been on it.) And not for nothing, but YouTube does have a feature where you can block any trolls who are leaving silly messages on your videos.

Actually, wait...I don't know if it is a block/ignore feature. However, I do know you can disable comments on videos.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you could do is make your YouTube account private so only people with a link can find your videos and post those links on instagram that way you can make your longer videos and still not have to deal with the trolls

OP
W

WcForMe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
See what ur saying guys. Don't get me wrong i don't shy away from a confrontation or I wouldnt be posting anything anywhere on the net. However I'm a student I'm not a Sifu or claiming to be one. Just thought it would be a interesting little venture. From what I can see instagram doesn't have much wing chun action. Thought it would be nice to check out what happens on a different platform. That said headhunters idea is actually very very good. Be excellent for u wingchun100. Gunna look into that in the near future. I'm gunna mainly try (and try being the word here) to post things I haven't seen many people do. I. E things such as a non compliant training partners regardless of the outcome, good or bad for me. Probably forms, shadow boxing few techniques. I'm trying to get ideas but pace them out so I have fresh content regularly. Plus I need to find some more like minded people in my area that either want to jump on board from various styles. Rather than wc vs wc. But that's a big ask. We shall see.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
See what ur saying guys. Don't get me wrong i don't shy away from a confrontation or I wouldnt be posting anything anywhere on the net. However I'm a student I'm not a Sifu or claiming to be one. Just thought it would be a interesting little venture. From what I can see instagram doesn't have much wing chun action. Thought it would be nice to check out what happens on a different platform. That said headhunters idea is actually very very good. Be excellent for u wingchun100. Gunna look into that in the near future. I'm gunna mainly try (and try being the word here) to post things I haven't seen many people do. I. E things such as a non compliant training partners regardless of the outcome, good or bad for me. Probably forms, shadow boxing few techniques. I'm trying to get ideas but pace them out so I have fresh content regularly. Plus I need to find some more like minded people in my area that either want to jump on board from various styles. Rather than wc vs wc. But that's a big ask. We shall see.

I like your idea of filming with people from other styles. If I had the time to do that, I definitely would too.

I want to stick to my idea of a blog and YouTube channel. At first I also thought about a Twitter account as well, but then I took a step back and realized: I am already pouring a lot of my free time into promoting a webcomic that I wrote via the blog/Twitter/YouTube approach. For something like the comic, I am VERY driven to get the word out there and get some good traffic flowing to it. After all, I don't think there is much point to writing a story if you aren't going to tell it.

However, for the training blog/videos, that serves a different purpose. They exist for me to keep a more organized record of my training progress. If other people find it and happen to gain some wisdom or insight from it, then I am happy to supply that. However, in the long run...it's really for me to look back on and see where I need work.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
IG: @TexasWingTsun is my kwoon page.
IG: @Bino5150 is my personal page.

Youtube: Texas Wing Tsun is the kwoon page
Youtube: MoThugsSouthTV is mainly for my music, but also has some Wing Tsun on there.

I'll follow back.

Latest Discussions