Any Wing Chun in Ohio?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna be moving up to Ohio in a couple years but I want to continue my WC training, so of course one of the mandatory questions is...are there any good WC schools up there? All I've been able to find is this thing called Black Flag Wing Chun and doing some research what I'm hearing about it is mostly negative.

Anyone have some tippers?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna be moving up to Ohio in a couple years but I want to continue my WC training, so of course one of the mandatory questions is...are there any good WC schools up there? All I've been able to find is this thing called Black Flag Wing Chun and doing some research what I'm hearing about it is mostly negative.

Where in Ohio?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is an insecticide spray called Black Flag.

Buddy Wu in the Cleveland area teaches decent wing chun. Buddy Wu was a student of Ho Kam Ming.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yak Sao makes a good point. We need to know WHERE in Ohio...like, which street?

Dom_S

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for a school also, I'm in Westerville. From what I heard I would avoid black flag, but next weekend (May 25) at the Asian festival there is supposed to be Dr Wu

SLM5513

White Belt
Reaction score
How can I get a hold of Buddy Wu or whoever takes his classes I have been emailing but no answer is he still around ?

jseiler

White Belt
Reaction score
Have you heard of any wing chung schools in columbus ohio?

jseiler

White Belt
Reaction score
Have you heard of any wing chung schools in columbus ohio?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't know much about Ohio, but the best tip of all.....avoid "Black Flag" Wing Chun like the plague!!!!!! I haven't seen it first hand, but haven't heard anything good about it. It appears to be a fake BS system. Generally avoiding anything to do with Benny Meng is good advice as well. He seems to go from one controversy to another.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
, but the best tip of all.....avoid "Black Flag" Wing Chun like the plague!!!!!!

Actually, The black flag for plague is only used in games like Assassins Creed. Actually you are supposed to fly a yellow flag to warn of plague. Black flags are for pirates who rape and pillage. Either way, it's best to avoid! LOL

ohtenlee

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know much about Ohio, but the best tip of all.....avoid "Black Flag" Wing Chun like the plague!!!!!! I haven't seen it first hand, but haven't heard anything good about it. It appears to be a fake BS system. Generally avoiding anything to do with Benny Meng is good advice as well. He seems to go from one controversy to another.

Confused on the anti-Benny Meng statements. He is a disciple of Moy Yat who he completed the system under, and trained under Yip Ching (son of Yip Man) who were both high students of Yip Man. Many of his students first competed the Yip Man system, now I'm aware that he is driven to learn all about the history of Wing Chun/Ving Tsun which is why he created the Wing Chun/Ving Tsun museum. This may mean that he and his students interacts with some families of WC that people don't agree with. But please don't put down a great master and teacher of the martial arts. I would never do that to any other.
I personally have only been introduced to the Yip Man system, I never completed the system. However if anyone wants a good teacher in Ohio, I would recommend Grand Master Benny Meng.

Lee

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Confused on the anti-Benny Meng statements. He is a disciple of Moy Yat who he completed the system under, and trained under Yip Ching (son of Yip Man) who were both high students of Yip Man. Many of his students first competed the Yip Man system, now I'm aware that he is driven to learn all about the history of Wing Chun/Ving Tsun which is why he created the Wing Chun/Ving Tsun museum. This may mean that he and his students interacts with some families of WC that people don't agree with. But please don't put down a great master and teacher of the martial arts. I would never do that to any other.
I personally have only been introduced to the Yip Man system, I never completed the system. However if anyone wants a good teacher in Ohio, I would recommend Grand Master Benny Meng.

Lee

sup benny

Reactions: KPM

zuti car

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have the same opinion about black flag and that Ming guy. First he was promoting HFY which is also controversial a, then he was involved in that black flag thing and now , I don't really know where he stands now but I will ot be surprsed if he show up with some new , oldest , original and most superior style

Reactions: KPM

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know Benny Ming, though I train with someone who did and he has very good hands. I wouldn't ever say to anyone "Avoid Benny Ming". He is entirely legitimate and my second hand information on him personally is positive as well. Some of his things that I've seen on-line have been foundationally solid as well.

I would recommend that people visit and take a critical look at his current club and make a personal decision about whether you think it is right for you. It may not be, but his background is not "made up".

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know Benny Ming, though I train with someone who did and he has very good hands. I wouldn't ever say to anyone "Avoid Benny Ming". He is entirely legitimate and my second hand information on him personally is positive as well.
So you've never met him or touched his hands but somehow feel qualified to say he's legitimate.

his background is not "made up".

From his website:
- Grand Master Benny Meng
9th Generation Shaolin Disciple
7th Degree Black Sash, Shaolin Kung Fu
5th Degree Black Belt, Taekwondo
Master Instructor

The Shaolin temple does not recognize him as a disciple, he does not hold a 7th degree in shaolin kung fu. He was once awarded a Sifu title by moy Yat, which was rescinded, and an honorary 7th degree by the vtaa. To date, no lineage has promoted him to the rank of grandmaster that I am aware of.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So you've never met him or touched his hands but somehow feel qualified to say he's legitimate.

That is correct.

He is Moy Yat's disciple and he learned Wing Chun directly from him. I have studied with Moy Yat lineage sifus and though it is not my lineage, it is one that I respect. I currently train with someone who was a pre-otherstuff student in Benny Ming's Wing Chun school and his hands are familiar to me and consistent with other Moy Yat players who I have known.

Therefore, I have no reason to question Benny Ming's legitimacy as a Wing Chun Sifu.

Now, that other stuff that he does, I can't really comment on. Doesn't sound like something I would want to be involved in, but that's not what I was speaking to.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
He is Moy Yat's disciple and he learned Wing Chun directly from him.

That's more of a question for the M.Y. org as it stands. I'm not sure what his status would be after the falling out in the years before GM Moy's death. It's a question for William Moy more than anyone AFAIK.

Therefore, I have no reason to question Benny Ming's legitimacy as a Wing Chun Sifu.

Well, that makes one of us. Not intended as a slight at you, but I believe I know a lot more of the picture of his past.

Doesn't sound like something I would want to be involved in
On that, we can most heartily agree.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't mean to get into a thing here. If you have direct history with Benny Ming, then you certainly know more about him than I do. As mentioned, I have none.

I respect Moy Yat Wing Chun. I know that he took a hard left turn from there, which I have no interest in. I get that that sort of thing can harm a disciple relationship, but that doesn't take your hands away from you.

I don't know what he's doing now or what he's teaching. I was just commenting on what I believe his Wing Chun credentials to be.

Peace.

Latest Discussions