Any Style Recommendations?

J

jdam76

I know you said you didn't want to do Judo or Jiu-jitsu, but you have one of the best schools in the country (jiu-jitsu that is) with Ralph Gracie. Brazilian JJ is extremely effective and practical. BJJ is also incorporating a lot of strikes and MMA nowadays. It is also an excellent way of getting into great shape. After 7+ years of Shorin-ryu karate, i couldnt believe how tough it was. I also found the tournaments to be more fun than the numerous karate tournaments I competed in. I'm sure people will blast on my opinion in here though, but its just that...my opinion. Wouldnt expect to make black in 6 years although when you do get it, it will be well deserved.

Go watch a class and see what you think. Good luck.

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for being biased. Take a look at To-Shin Do. An-shu Stephen K. Hayes is a great teacher and everything is practical. It is a modern application of the Ninjutsu concepts taught to him from Soke Masaaki Hatsumi in Japan. Mr. Hayes is the first American to bring Ninjutsu to the states back in the 80's that prompted the "ninja craze." He modernized what he was doing and as a result To-Shin Do came to be.

www.skhquest.com

You can PM if you desire more information.

Kunoichi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey, if your looking for striking/kicking, a good work out and a chance of competition I'd stay clear of Aikido. It is a very good art but definetly not what your looking for, unless the school is different from my experience of it.
Your best bet seems to be kenpo or tkd. I wouldn't write off jujutsu though, it may be suited to you. It has a lot of striking, a ranking system and competition. It is also very physical and IMO very street applicable. If there is a school near you i'd check it out
Good luck!

I

i_clodius

Ceicei said:
MANY martial styles meet the criteria. A lot of us are biased to our own styles. What I would suggest is to check around near you what styles are available, visit these places, talk to the instructors there to get a feel of their personalities, stay to watch a couple of classes, and if they will let you, participate in a couple of classes on a trial basis. Don't just simply grab the first school you walk in. Visit others and compare. Once you've done your research, you will have a better idea of what you might like to do. I believe there is a checklist somewhere here that will provide you with questions you can consider while checking out places.

- Ceicei
I agree with Ceicei that many styles could offer what you're looking for, and that you should look around before committing yourself. Have a look at the "Newbie Guide to Martial Arts" thread under General Martial Arts, if you haven't already done so. There's some good ideas there.

I also suggest that when you visit a school you pay particular attention to the instructor's teaching style. For example, how much time is typically spent correcting individual students? What's the balance between explanation, demonstration, and practice? Is there any evidence of a sense of humor? Everyone learns differently, so what holds my attention and interest may irritate you. But you're establishing a relationship that might last the rest of your life, so choose carefully.

Okay, enough blither. Welcome to the journey!

Markus

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So many choices..Pick one and give it 3 months or so..If your not happy you can always move on..

OP
L

ldgman1970

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well,

After observing a class and talking to one of the instructors at Larry Tatum's school I think I am going to go ahead and give that school a try. In watching the class it reminded me a lot of the TKD class I took when I was younger, without the Korean though, and it was cool to see Mr. Tatum there working with a student as well. Thanks again for all the advice and I will report back on what my first lesson was like.

S-

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Good choice, if you have to pick an instructor it might as well be one of the top guys in the art. Have fun with your journey, commit to it for at least 3 months before deciding if this art is or is not for you.

Lamont

OP
L

ldgman1970

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and give an update. I signed up for an intoductory program at Larry Tatum's and so far I have had two private lessons. I am very impressed with the quality of the studio and I will probably become a regular student there when I am done with my intro lessons. It's so great to be at a place where everyone seems so committed to and excited by what they are doing.

I did have a couple of questions for some of you Kenpo practioners. First, how much practice do you do outside of class? I have been starting to practice the techniques a couple of times a day. And second, and I am sure there is a thread on this but I can't find it, generally how much time is there between testing for the each belt level? I am specifically curious about the first few levels, i.e. white through blue. My understanding is that once you get to blue things can start to slow down quite a bit. And although I know this is highly individual I am curious about average times.

Thanks!!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ldgman1970 said:
Hi all,

I did have a couple of questions for some of you Kenpo practioners. First, how much practice do you do outside of class? I have been starting to practice the techniques a couple of times a day. And second, and I am sure there is a thread on this but I can't find it, generally how much time is there between testing for the each belt level? I am specifically curious about the first few levels, i.e. white through blue. My understanding is that once you get to blue things can start to slow down quite a bit. And although I know this is highly individual I am curious about average times.

Thanks!!
I practice whenever I can outside of class. It depends on how much time and commitment you may have within your schedule.

Generally, it takes a couple of months or so on the average between testings for yellow-purple. By blue or green, the time does take longer. At brown, you can be wearing a brown belt for a few years (although there are ranks within brown).

- Ceicei

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Something to think about? You may find it more convenient if the classes are closer to home or work if it falls in right after you finish. I had friends that took classes from far away or move to another part of the city,after a while, they started skiping classes, tired from all that driving. So if there is school closer to home and it fills your requirements? This may be better for you in the long run?
We live very near to our training center and when we forget something,it is very easy to run home and come back. Plus if the class had a hard workout,short drive home. Late from work? It will be a very short drive to classes. Funny thing about habits....when you start to miss..it get easier to miss....Keep going to class.... and you keep going...Something to think about?...Aloha

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ldgman1970 said:
Hi all,

I have decided that I would like to begin taking a martial art. I haven't had any formal martial arts training in over 16 years. I am currently 34 years old, 6'2", and 220. I am in fairly decent shape and I work out quite a bit. There are quite a few things I am looking to get out of a martial art. First, although I highly doubt I wiill ever have to use whatever style I choose as a self-defense I would like something that has some practical application. Second, I would like to have the possibility for some sparring and contact and maybe even competition if I am ever interested. Third, I would like something that has a clear promotional track. That may sound strange but I would like to be able to see my progress and I would like to attain a black belt by the time I am 40. Finally, I would like something has somewhat of a spiritual/meditation element to it as well. Any suggestions on styles that may meet all of these requirements?

Thanks!
If you have accesss to a large number of styles/schools, given your criteria, I think it comes down to the quality of the instructor rather than the style itself.

If you want to achieve basic fighting profiency quickly, spend 6-8 months of hardcore training at a boxing gym. You'll be able to knock out the average person in a second or two. If you want a long term MA with practical applications, look into some of the Okinawan based styles. Whatever art you choose, find a place that you feel comfortable with. Avoid the over commercial as well as the over "hyped". Best of luck.

Latest Discussions