Any Other Writers Here?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's kind of like when you meet someone who is really kind, caring, and sweet...and they think they are the worst person possible.

Then you meet the biggest A-hole in the world, and somehow THEY think the world of themselves.

Never understood that. Why do people who are the worst at something (writing, being a human being) think so highly of themselves?
The Dunning-Kruger effect, most likely. They don't understand the thing, at all, so they don't understand they're bad at it.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aside from the story about the crazy spy guy, I am fortunate in that I am usually able to think of how to tackle story from start to finish. My problem is not having the time to write all the stories that I have outlined.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Never heard of that before.
The key point in the research findings, relevant to your comment, is that the skill for recognizing competence is the same skill required for competence. So, someone who lacks that skill often won't be able to accurately assess their skill (or someone else's). Think about your Wing Chun. Someone with no relevant training won't be able to do the WC forms, and also won't be able to figure out if someone's forms are any good. Many a beginning student feels they are doing well at something, only to figure out later (when they gain the requisite skill) they absolutely were not.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from the story about the crazy spy guy, I am fortunate in that I am usually able to think of how to tackle story from start to finish. My problem is not having the time to write all the stories that I have outlined.
For me, it's probably more a matter of discipline. My mind chases ideas rather readily, so time that's under my control is not usually as organized as I'd like. I may wish to write for 2 hours, but I'll find my mind pursuing ideas (perhaps unrelated) during some of that time, rather than productively writing.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me, it's probably more a matter of discipline. My mind chases ideas rather readily, so time that's under my control is not usually as organized as I'd like. I may wish to write for 2 hours, but I'll find my mind pursuing ideas (perhaps unrelated) during some of that time, rather than productively writing.

That happens to me these days because I can't figure out which story to work on with my limited time. :(

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That happens to me these days because I can't figure out which story to work on with my limited time. :(
At least you seem to be wandering within the confines of "writing". I'll get in the middle of developing some content to train managers on engagement, and find myself working out a teaching exercise for class the next day.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
At least you seem to be wandering within the confines of "writing". I'll get in the middle of developing some content to train managers on engagement, and find myself working out a teaching exercise for class the next day.

We all have our own struggles. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had a couple of cups of coffee in the writing world, kind of fun. Been procrastinating my behind off since then, with a novel inside my head and plies of notes.

It's just so much easier to NOT write, than write. Especially if you like to read - which I'm guessing most of us do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of cups of coffee in the writing world, kind of fun. Been procrastinating my behind off since then, with a novel inside my head and plies of notes.

It's just so much easier to NOT write, than write. Especially if you like to read - which I'm guessing most of us do.
It turns out posting on MT is much easier than serious writing, too. Imagine if I put all those words from my post-whoring to actual literary use!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It turns out posting on MT is much easier than serious writing, too. Imagine if I put all those words from my post-whoring to actual literary use!

You know, I never though of that. Considering how much has been written by so many of us...I mean, the sheer volume of a thousand posts. Hmmm.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread. You guys.

They put me on a remote guard shack post tonight. Sweet, actually, a nice rest, they knew I was hurting. I drafted notes on the novel in my head. Pages of the suckers. Probably never get back to it, probably never think of it again, probably let it wither on the vine. Or...

You guys.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have thought about compiling all the ideas shared in the "No Outside Game" thread into a blog post or article.

Same goes for the notes in the "2 Hour Intro to Wing Chun Class" thread.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have thought about compiling all the ideas shared in the "No Outside Game" thread into a blog post or article.

Same goes for the notes in the "2 Hour Intro to Wing Chun Class" thread.
I've borrowed some posts here for my website (with permission from the authors, of course). I need to pay more attention and grab some others.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've written a couple of words here and there.
I see what you did there, Bill. if it was intentional.

If not, carry on.

I have to write quite a bit for work, but I did manage to complete a novel. I've the follow-up going ... but it's stalled out because of the aforementioned work. I've got a few chapters done and in the post-written, go back and edit to fit what's going forwards stage in a sci-fi/fantasy thing.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to write quite a bit for work, but I did manage to complete a novel. I've the follow-up going ... but it's stalled out because of the aforementioned work. I've got a few chapters done and in the post-written, go back and edit to fit what's going forwards stage in a sci-fi/fantasy thing.

One of my good friends is an up and coming sci-fi fantasy writer. We used to room together and we rented office space together once upon a time. He's doing well. Best of luck to you, what a tough game!

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my good friends is an up and coming sci-fi fantasy writer. We used to room together and we rented office space together once upon a time. He's doing well. Best of luck to you, what a tough game!

Nah, it's not like that. It's a "thing," is all. When I put my mind into writing, I'm good at it, but I tend to want to do other things with that talent... which relate ina much more concrete and linear fashion to my account balance. My wife, you see, absolutely loves long, romantic walks... to the bank. LOL! I kid, she's not like that at all, it's self-imposed pressure.