Any Other Top Five Wung Chun Masters?

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As I understand it, Ip Man was only about 5'3" and weighed about 125 lbs, yet he was one of the top if not THE top WC guys ever. Who are others? Top 5 ever. Is Master Wong, of youtube fame one? William Cheung in his prime? Are there any 180-190 to 200 lb top masters? Do shorter guys have an advantage in speed? Just asking and curious as I'm new to WC. I'd better clarify...top 5 as in best fighter and proper character/attitude combined.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best fighter is all opinion. I could come and say my mate John's the best ever doesn't make it true.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I understand it, Ip Man was only about 5'3" and weighed about 125 lbs, yet he was one of the top if not THE top WC guys ever. Who are others? Top 5 ever. Is Master Wong, of youtube fame one? William Cheung in his prime? Are there any 180-190 to 200 lb top masters? Do shorter guys have an advantage in speed? Just asking and curious as I'm new to WC. I'd better clarify...top 5 as in best fighter and proper character/attitude combined.
Afaik none of those guys ever fought anyone. If you are interested in combative WC for fighting, check out Alan Orr.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm quite sure that Master Wong from YouTube is not one of them. Beyond that, it's tough to accurately track this type of history.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also why was ip Man one of the best....genuine question what did he have that made him the best...was it because he was Bruce lees teacher or the fact he's had a few movies based around him? I'm not saying he was bad but if I'm going to say someone's the best I want some proof of why they're so good. Yeah ip mans probably the most famous but most famous doesn't equal the best

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Also why was ip Man one of the best....genuine question what did he have that made him the best...was it because he was Bruce lees teacher or the fact he's had a few movies based around him? I'm not saying he was bad but if I'm going to say someone's the best I want some proof of why they're so good. Yeah ip mans probably the most famous but most famous doesn't equal the best

It's all folk history. Not saying that some of it isn't true, but it's very difficult to draw definitive conclusions from it. All Chinese Martial Arts have legends that involve their founders being superior and perhaps there is something to some of them, but there is really no way for us to know. We can only assess the value of what they've passed down and made available to us in our own lives and time.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you wanna be the man, ya gotta beat the man
~ Neegan
:D

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I would put dan inosanto on that list, but oddly not for his wing chun.

I'm not sure that I understand your point, but in no way is Dan Inosanto one of the top 5 ... or top 100 ... Wing Chun masters of all time.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I understand your point, but in no way is Dan Inosanto one of the top 5 ... or top 100 ... Wing Chun masters of all time.
He is a wing chun guy whom i would list as a top fighter, for other reasons entirely divorced from wing chun. So technically he fits, but not for wing chun purposes.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He is a wing chun guy whom i would list as a top fighter, for other reasons entirely divorced from wing chun. So technically he fits, but not for wing chun purposes.

I don't claim to be an expert on Dan Inosanto, but to my knowledge, he is not a Wing Chun guy.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't claim to be an expert on Dan Inosanto, but to my knowledge, he is not a Wing Chun guy.
I may be wrong, but im pretty certain that he learned wing chun for a time, purely to improve his jkd stuff. My original post to the OP qas tongue in cheek though.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1) Who is John??
2) Why is everyone down on Master Wong?
John is quite possibly one of the best fighters of all time. Or, at least, one of the best fighters of this century so far. Dont want to be making any farfetched claims

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
... My original post to the OP qas tongue in cheek though.

Okay, sorry I took the bait, I'm a little sleep deprived and my filter may be off.

1) Who is John??
2) Why is everyone down on Master Wong?

Davy, you say you're new to Wing Chun, it would help me to understand your perspective better. Tell us about where you are studying and how long you've been doing it.

OP
DavyKOTWF

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Okay, sorry I took the bait, I'm a little sleep deprived and my filter may be off.

Davy, you say you're new to Wing Chun, it would help me to understand your perspective better. Tell us about where you are studying and how long you've been doing it.

Read my post in the introduction section, ShortBridge. I'm real, not a troll.
This John guy, ha, is this just an inside joke? Seems so.
Noone's ventured an answer to one or my original questions. Easy to miss a question embedded further down I suppose. Do shorter guys have an advantage in speed?

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Read my post in the introduction section, ShortBridge. I'm real, not a troll.
This John guy, ha, is this just an inside joke? Seems so.
Noone's ventured an answer to one or my original questions. Easy to miss a question embedded further down I suppose. Do shorter guys have an advantage in speed?

Didn't mean to suggest or imply that you were a troll. Never occurred to me, actually. Just trying to understand your perspective so that I could better dialogue with you.

I think "John" is a joke, but it wasn't my comment, so I won't say for sure.

I did answer your question. Chinese history is largely folk history, especially where Martial Arts is concerned. We don't know what I would like to and I don't think that it is entirely knowable. The various lineages all have their (our) own folk histories that put our Si Gung's at the top of that exclusive list and it gets argued and debated ad nauseam (which I won't contribute to). It doesn't lead anywhere and never gets resolved and it's all but destroyed any cohesive Wing Chun community. People are just arguing their bias and for the legend that they were taught.

It's much worse, for us Wing Chun guys, when you start bringing people in who were not actually Wing Chun practitioners. Because of Bruce Lee, who was a gifted individual, but an intermediate Wing Chun student at best (and not a Wing Chun sifu), everyone associated with or who is a fan of Bruce Lee has their followers arguing for them as well. It's a rat hole.

There are a few credible people who have actually put the time into the research to sort of answer the question that you originally asked, but even their conclusions are points of contention. I am not one of those people, but I recommend the book "Complete Wing Chun", but Rene Ritchie, Robert Chu, and Y. Wu as a source of some of that type of research. I'm not endorsing their conclusions, necessarily, my position is as originally stated "I really don't think it's possible to know."

Focus on training, understanding, and applying Wing Chun as long as it holds your interest and supports your goals.