Any other Atheist here?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must confess I'm an atheist as well, I just listen to strange radical religious programs at night when I work Grave shift. LOL
Sean

OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I must confess I'm an atheist as well, I just listen to strange radical religious programs at night when I work Grave shift. LOL

LoL you had me going:)

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
Only fools think there is no GOD, only to do foolish things but to do martial arts and be atheist is not very promising when the when the, Mind, Body, and Spirit need to be one as a way of study not of any religion. But people do there own thing and thats just it everybody wants what they want so what can you do but give your point of view.:erg:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only fools think there is no GOD, only to do foolish things but to do martial arts and be atheist is not very promising when the when the, Mind, Body, and Spirit need to be one as a way of study not of any religion. But people do there own thing and thats just it everybody wants what they want so what can you do but give your point of view.:erg:

I must confess, I'm not entirely clear how one's belief in a god or lack thereof has anything to do with focusing one's own Mind, Body, and Spirit.

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well you hust have to consider what we all tie the spirit too. You can not claim a spirit that you do have but in the same say you don't believe in whatever simple because the spirit tie to the invisible world of thing you can't see but Know are their.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I could turn your statement around completely by replacing "no GOD" with "GOD". This is your opinion, and you're welcome to it - but simply because some people disagree with you does not make them fools, especially on an issue as complex as faith. By its very nature, faith is based on belief and emotion, not more scientific methods of proof - therefore, each individual must determine what they believe in, based on their own experiences, background, and emotional responses. Believing other than you do is their choice, and it is not foolish - the ability to decide such issues for oneself is what makes us human, and not sheep following the herd.

Well you hust have to consider what we all tie the spirit too. You can not claim a spirit that you do have but in the same say you don't believe in whatever simple because the spirit tie to the invisible world of thing you can't see but Know are their.

I know no such thing. What I believe, however, is totally different from what I can know in the sense of proving it objectively to another person. You believe such a thing, and that is your choice. My belief is different, and equally my choice.

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
Fascinating.

Fool - a person who lacks good judgment.

One might say the same of those who choose to believe in an invisible entity whose existance can neither be felt, seen, nor proven, but yet whose inability to be proven is somehow taken as proof. People laugh at those who think rocks can heal, yet will insist that Angels guard them. I can hold rock, I can feel a rock, I can taste a rock, I can see a rock, and I can hear a rock. I can not do any of those with Angels or Diety. Yet I am supposed to just "believe". Faith is a powerful force, but faith is not proof. Believing in diety does not make it any more real than believing that fire is cold. The difference is, one can test the latter.

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
Proof is not the problem its the lack of a open heart who has seen every one from the past letalone touch them or any oher physicial contact. Like all people you read it some one says it is real and you believe it. I can not touch " nothing" because it is a state of being yet we say it is there because it is not there. You breath air but you breath out carbinD yet we chose to call one, one thing and another, another. To get back to the point just stop trying to understand why and understand that you want what you want the way you want it and sometimes it won't come to your way of believing it but much simpler most of the time.

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
We all have to come to the realiztion that being religious and being spiritual are to different things you can breakdown meanings of words all day but to come to the truth you must understand that we all chose what we chose ether for truth or self.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Buddhists don't believe in God and they seem to do alright.
Sean

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Proof is not the problem its the lack of a open heart who has seen every one from the past letalone touch them or any oher physicial contact. Like all people you read it some one says it is real and you believe it. I can not touch " nothing" because it is a state of being yet we say it is there because it is not there. You breath air but you breath out carbinD yet we chose to call one, one thing and another, another. To get back to the point just stop trying to understand why and understand that you want what you want the way you want it and sometimes it won't come to your way of believing it but much simpler most of the time.

Slow down. You are trying to say way too much, way too fast. This results in you having no idea what the hell you are actually saying.

"open heart" - the heart is a muscle used to send blood through the circulatory system. If you 'open' it, you are going to die.

We breathe in air - we breathe out air. We do not breathe out carbon dioxide. Carbon Dioxide is a component of air which we expel from our lungs. So is nitrogen, oxygen and several other gases.

The phrase "you want what you want the way you want it" is an insult. When used in this manner, the phrase is accusing another of immaturity. Personally, you telling me that you think I am immature because I don't believe in your higher power tells me much more about you, than it enlightens me.

If you wish to find me on Sunday ... I'll be in the river, observing the masterful dynamic of our planet, with a fly rod in my hand. Be sure to say hello to the preacher.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The majority of this discussion has been centered on definition of terms. Each person knows how they feel. Whether they are labeled an Atheist, Agnostic, positive atheist, christian, theist, buddhist, whatever...they still know what they are. Knowing yourself and how you feel about things is the first step to understanding your mind, body, and spirit. Your spirit does not have anything to do with your beliefs - unless you want it to.

OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How does a metaphysical perspective effect training?

Many times, in secular martial arts schools, it doesn't. But if you go to a Christian karate school, an Animist or Islamic Silat school, a Shintoist Aikido school, a Taoist Tai Chi school, etc., then it could matter greatly. If that particular school roots the training process and practices in a particular metaphysical perspective, then it will matter at some point. The only important thing would be how would it matter to YOU.

I have attended mostly Kung Fu dojos lately. Such as Hopgar. The Taoist influence is strong but my instructor will give you the Taoist version of the move and then give you the bare bones explanation. My favorite quote during a training session "you know all of that flow like water s*** you learned about, this is where you use it"

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
Slow down. You are trying to say way too much, way too fast. This results in you having no idea what the hell you are actually saying.

"open heart" - the heart is a muscle used to send blood through the circulatory system. If you 'open' it, you are going to die.

We breathe in air - we breathe out air. We do not breathe out carbon dioxide. Carbon Dioxide is a component of air which we expel from our lungs. So is nitrogen, oxygen and several other gases.

The phrase "you want what you want the way you want it" is an insult. When used in this manner, the phrase is accusing another of immaturity. Personally, you telling me that you think I am immature because I don't believe in your higher power tells me much more about you, than it enlightens me.

If you wish to find me on Sunday ... I'll be in the river, observing the masterful dynamic of our planet, with a fly rod in my hand. Be sure to say hello to the preacher.

Very well then but I say what comes to mind it my come out different on a computer but all in all I can get the done judging from your remarks you got what I was saying see you at the river I love water it my element.LOL! :asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lot of people need to separate the difference between a positive athiest and a negative athiest. A negative atheist believes that there is no God; a positive atheist doesn't believe in God because there is no material evidence. Yes, the two perspectives are different. A positive atheist is essentially saying "there could be a God, but I am not going to put my faith into something without proof," which is different then asserting, "there is no God."

Paul

I know this is not exactly on topic at this point, but I was just informed that I mixed up my terms, so I need to correct the mistake.

I switched terms. Negative atheist is the one that doesn't believe in God because there is no material evidence, and positive atheist believes that there is no God.

Again, this is an important distinction; I just mixed my terms up.

So sorry about that! :banghead: :anic:

Carry on... :D

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, atheism and the scientific method have very little (if anything) to do with one another.

The former (atheism) is a preset belief system that has its basis in a priori assumptions about reality.

The latter (scientific method) is a systematic process for acquiring and confirming/disconfirming information about reality; it only endorses particular beliefs insofar as they conform to the available information, and as such, as the information changes this 'endorsement' also changes (self-correction).

In my opinion, many "atheists" rather opportunistically hijack science and claim it as their own. However, this does not logically follow, as science does not support any given belief or value system. Many religious fundamentalists (Christian or otherwise) tend to go along with this trick, in large part because science has revealed information contrary to their view of the world (i.e., evolution).

To put it simply, science and scientism ain't the same animal.

Laterz.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heretic888 is exactly correct with that last post.

Atheism and Science are not mutually exclusive; one can believe equally in both, but they are not dependent on, nor derivative of, each other. Of course, if you poll actual scientists, you will find that approximately 95% of them have faith in a higher power. Which is just about the same percentage of non-scientists.

OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, many "atheists" rather opportunistically hijack science and claim it as their own. However, this does not logically follow, as science does not support any given belief or value system. Many religious fundamentalists (Christian or otherwise) tend to go along with this trick, in large part because science has revealed information contrary to their view of the world (i.e., evolution).

I agree with your post. I just want to clarify that there is a difference between "their is absolutely no God" atheist and "I will not believe in something till I see proof for it" Atheist. The first uses faith the last uses science. Again science is a tool that is all.

Latest Discussions