Any one going to Kuo Shu?

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool! My school isn't competing this year's but it's a relatively short drive from where we are in Pennsylvania so a bunch of us are going just to spectate.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That looks really interesting. Too bad I'm on the Left Coast, I would like to attend.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
How many competitors does this tournament usually draw? I love watching the Lei tai fights on You Tube.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah but that's literally EVERYTHING ... In reality it's most likely a lot smaller as actual registration takes place & divisions are discarded due to no participants.
Oh I know, it's like the UC Berkeley tournament here. Did that one for years.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many competitors does this tournament usually draw? I love watching the Lei tai fights on You Tube.

Oh I know, it's like the UC Berkeley tournament here. Did that one for years.

This is different though. It's one of the biggest if not the biggest in the US. As an example last year a number of competitions were to decide who was joining the US National Team for the World Championship in Argentina.

That's not to say they don't consolidate weight classes and stuff as needed but, as an example, Lei Tai often lasts until midnight on Saturday since they only have 2 days.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is different though. It's one of the biggest if not the biggest in the US. As an example last year a number of competitions were to decide who was joining the US National Team for the World Championship in Argentina.

That's not to say they don't consolidate weight classes and stuff as needed but, as an example, Lei Tai often lasts until midnight on Saturday since they only have 2 days.
Berkeley also is one of the biggest. It was my qualifier for the championships in China in 2008. Well, actually it was the first round, then I did a second level in Las Vegas, tho that was a smaller tournament.

The Berkeley tournament usually has several hundred competitors with a huge list of events, both modern and traditional.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Berkeley also is one of the biggest. It was my qualifier for the championships in China in 2008. Well, actually it was the first round, then I did a second level in Las Vegas, tho that was a smaller tournament.

The Berkeley tournament usually has several hundred competitors with a huge list of events, both modern and traditional.

This is the same I suppose then, I am an East coast boy after all (and well done sir). Kuo Shu averages 600 competitors a year at this point.

Regardless I have two portable chargers for my phone. I will be filming the 2 story Lion Dance (yeah it's crazy) if we get there in time Saturday morning and as much competitions as I can. I'll upload em to YouTube and then share what I have on this thread :)

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is the same I suppose then, I am an East coast boy after all (and well done sir). Kuo Shu averages 600 competitors a year at this point.

Regardless I have two portable chargers for my phone. I will be filming the 2 story Lion Dance (yeah it's crazy) if we get there in time Saturday morning and as much competitions as I can. I'll upload em to YouTube and then share what I have on this thread :)
Yeah I think these are regional. Sounds like a lot of fun, I would like to see the lion dance.

So in China, I placed fifth of 19 with my dao. Somehow that still earned me a silver. Weird placement rules, that they had going on.

Found out later that all the foreigners were competing against each other, and the local fellows had their own divisions. It was just assumed that the foreigners would not do well against the Chinese.

Meh.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last year, one of our Sanda guys took his division on the Lei Tai & our other guy took a silver. This year forms people are coming up too.

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be there with a table vending my wicked strong Dit Da Jows.

My South Mantis teacher, Shifu Ricard Gamboa will be there as well.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Going to be a bit of hootenanny ... We'll be there from Atlanta Kung Fu & Sanda, my Sigung (Sifu Ventura) & some of his longtime students from NYC will be there too. Some Buk Siu Lum people from I know are going from SC.

Gonna be noisy!!

Latest Discussions