Any one else training Kempo 5.0 here?

Kenpo5.0Hawker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious if there are any other folks training Kempo5.0 here. I'm a Kempo newb but I gotta say I'm enjoying it.

Thanks
Tom

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, there're no 5.0 schools in my area, though I may be wrong. Personally, I like what Jeff is doing and if there was a school around, I'd probably check it out.

OP
K

Kenpo5.0Hawker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Right on MJS. I've heard good things about AFIAK but I don't think I've seen anyone who had trained it in action. In fact. I somehow missed seeing Kempo in action my whole life until my daughter started training at our school. I joined a few months later after watching a few classes.

Tom

OP
K

Kenpo5.0Hawker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Right on MJS. I've heard good things about AFIAK but I don't think I've seen anyone who had trained it in action. In fact. I somehow missed seeing Kempo in action my whole life until my daughter started training at our school. I joined a few months later after watching a few classes.

Tom

Lol. Wait. I got my acronyms mixed up. I don't think I know AFIAK. Can you tell me about it?

Thanks
Tom

GTMerk

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm training in 5.0 in Riverside, CA. I'm new to 5.0 but not to Kenpo or the martial arts in general. I enjoy the way that 5.0 is bringing the power and hard striking back in to Kenpo as opposed to many schools which have lost their way and focused on rapid fire but ineffective swatting and slapping.

OP
K

Kenpo5.0Hawker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm training in 5.0 in Riverside, CA. I'm new to 5.0 but not to Kenpo or the martial arts in general. I enjoy the way that 5.0 is bringing the power and hard striking back in to Kenpo as opposed to many schools which have lost their way and focused on rapid fire but ineffective swatting and slapping.

Wow. That's a very neat thing to hear. Glad I'm in good company. In a way that's what got me on board. Since my training as a kid (TKD) I've been one of those "armchair martial artists". I knew what I wanted but never quite found the right school or I made lame excuses. Ya know. "the stars are not yet perfectly aligned type BS"

Then my wife said she was going to sign my daughter up at the same school my neighbors kids were going to. I was not happy. I wanted to look around. I got out voted. Soooo. After a few weeks of watching the kids and being very impressed with them and the instructor I watched a testing. There I saw the adults really bring it. They looks good. And so did those kids. I decided right then. No excuses. I'm doing THIS!

After my first class (I sucked in several areas.) I was hooked. Some of this does not come easy to me, but I love it and the value is very apparent to me.

Latest Discussions