ANY AND ALL BREAKING KNOWLEDGE WANTED!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will just say this and then retire from the field.

We don't do breaking of any kind as general rule. We do it for demos when we're invited; we don't even do demos as a general rule. We don't break boards, just pavers. In my case, that amounts to maybe once or twice in two years that I've broken cement pavers.

We buy them at the local Home Depot or Lowes. They cost about a buck apiece. They're 16 inches by 8 inches by 2 inches thick.

We do not 'do' anything to them to prepare them. We buy them, cart them to the demo, and break them. That's it.

We do not use spacers between pavers. We lay them right on top of each other. We put a phone book on top of that, mainly to protect our hands.

I'm not that great at it. I can break three pavers. Many of our students can break much more. Some of them are not as large as me, and I doubt as strong; this to me proves that it's about technique and not raw strength. It's not a parlour trick or I'd be better at it.

It is fun. That is all it is to me. Not something I feel is required for karate, or something that does anything special that you can't get doing other things. It is just fun, different, and can be exciting and entertaining.

At our various demos, we have allowed anyone who wants to step up and try their luck to do so. They get the same concrete we do. We have had some members of the audience successfully break concrete pavers, specifically ONE paver. I have not yet seen a random stranger from the audience break more than one. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying I have not seen it.

I have personally broken the same concrete paver that several audience members were unable to break after repeated attempts; unless one wishes to accuse me of lying, this proves that the concrete pavers are not doctored so that audience members can't break them.

I have personally seen the joy and accomplishment on the faces of our younger students when they smash through a concrete paver, so I know it builds confidence. This is not unlike the Marine Corps boot camp Confidence Course which every recruit faces at the beginning and end of boot camp. When they try it in the beginning, they fail miserably. By the end of boot camp, they sail through it. This being why it is called a 'confidence' course. Oh yes, I am also a Marine, unless someone wants to take issue with that as well.

I do not need to break concrete to boost my fragile ego or prove my manhood. I proved whatever it was I may have felt the need to prove as a young man, carrying an M16 in defense of my country. No one can ever take that from me, and evil hateful words mean nothing in my ears; I know who and what I am and my friends stand up for me because they know who and what I am as well.

That's it. I've said my piece. People are free to make accusations, call me names, or attempt to besmirch my character. Too bad for them, it's a reflection on them, not me.

Have a nice day, friends.

Awesome.
And you bring up good points, Bill, especially about confidence. It manifests itself in different ways, too. Many times I've said to a student, "Remember, back when you were a pup, when you were so nervous about breaking, how did that turn out? This (whatever it is they're unsure of at the moment) is just like that. No worries, just do it, we got your back."

I've had old, retired students tell me they've taught their children about things in life in much the same way. To me, everything in the Arts is about teaching.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The most important thing breaking has taught me was to strike through the object without hesitation. Regardless of how good your form is and how much you've thought it through, if you don't fully commit, you're not getting through it. It's been far more of a life lesson to me than anything else breaking teaches.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The most important thing breaking has taught me was to strike through the object without hesitation. Regardless of how good your form is and how much you've thought it through, if you don't fully commit, you're not getting through it. It's been far more of a life lesson to me than anything else breaking teaches.

Latest Discussions