ANY AND ALL BREAKING KNOWLEDGE WANTED!

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I had an idea just for anyone on here to post anything they know about breaking techniques no matter how big or small.
I'm talking:
-cool breaks you've seen
-tricks of the trade
-tips
-training

I don't care if it's straight up magicians tricks. If you've seen or performed it at a martial arts demo, then post it up and let's pool our knowledge together.

OP
paitingman

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'll start!
For those who don't know this is what is typically called a "speed break"

the brick or board is typically either standing vertically as in the video, or only held or supported from on side.
these breaks need to be performed with a good snap. you need maximum acceleration, hence the speed part.
especially with wooden boards, I find it helps to aim just below dead center. with bricks it doesn't matter as much.

OP
paitingman

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And I don't know what it's called, but this overhanging brick chop

while it can be done dead flat. It REALLY helps to slightly lift the brick to be broken above the ledge.
This way the brick slaps done onto the straight edge of the ledge and normally breaks much easier.

If you look closely you can see it

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll start!
For those who don't know this is what is typically called a "speed break"

the brick or board is typically either standing vertically as in the video, or only held or supported from on side.
these breaks need to be performed with a good snap. you need maximum acceleration, hence the speed part.
especially with wooden boards, I find it helps to aim just below dead center. with bricks it doesn't matter as much.
Im wondering if in the whole of sports history there is anything more pointless than beating up bricks and sticks, well maybe golf

OP
paitingman

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Im wondering if in the whole of sports history there is anything more pointless than beating up bricks and sticks, well maybe golf
ha I do not always see the value in it, but it's a pretty big part of martial arts culture... well martial arts demonstration culture

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I broke an arm once. It's alright, it wasn't mine. :D

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Board breaking has a value. It teaches focus, timing and power, and it builds confidence.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ha I do not always see the value in it, but it's a pretty big part of martial arts culture... well martial arts demonstration culture

I'm not sure it is, there's a lot of styles that don't do it. The only one I really know that does is TKD and I'm not sure they all do it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought it was more an american thing, the ancient. Chinese not having invent the cinder block
Board breaking has a value. It teaches focus, timing and power, and it builds confidence.
yes, but then i found out they sold two piece boards that clip together.

how does that confidence go over on to real life. Unless you can get your opponent to stand still at just the right height and distance.

to be fair I practise focus and power kicking a fence, but I haven't broke it yet, its a very good fence . How does the board breaking increase power. . My fence improves power as I keep kicking it harder and harder. When/ if I break it il find a stronger fence, not keep knocking bits off

OP
paitingman

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I thought it was more an american thing, the ancient. Chinese not having invent the cinder block

yes, but then i found out they sold two piece boards that clip together.

how does that confidence go over on to real life. Unless you can get your opponent to stand still at just the right height and distance.

to be fair I practise focus and power kicking a fence, but I haven't broke it yet, its a very good fence . How does the board breaking increase power. . My fence improves power as I keep kicking it harder and harder. When/ if I break it il find a stronger fence, not keep knocking bits off
Your questions are valid. but this is not the thread for them.
This thread is not meant to discuss why some people do and don't break boards, or whether it's valuable or not.
Feel free to start your own thread and I'll join yal there.
I put this thread up here because there are some wild breaking and demonstration performances people are doing out there and I wanna talk about em haha

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've shown this before. A simple one-paver soft break.

It's not a trick and there's nothing special about it. The key is to focus beyond the paver rather than thinking about the impact surface.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not a trick and there's nothing special about it. The key is to focus beyond the paver rather than thinking about the impact surface.
Bill, I can't see it clearly - do you have something on top of the paver in that video?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bill, I can't see it clearly - do you have something on top of the paver in that video?
Looks like a small Yellow Pages.

For our younger members who don't know what that is - we used to have "phone books" back before this whole internet fad. If you didn't know someone's phone number, you looked it up in the phone book. The white pages were residential, and the yellow pages were business.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

no its not a trick, I laid a patio and you won't believe how many concrete pavers, paving stones as we call them I broke completely by accident, they have hardness but no strengh, it would be a lot more difficult to break chip board

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a small Yellow Pages.

For our younger members who don't know what that is - we used to have "phone books" back before this whole internet fad. If you didn't know someone's phone number, you looked it up in the phone book. The white pages were residential, and the yellow pages were business.
Wait, he pulled up yellowpages.com on his tablet, then put it on a paver and hit it? That's damned irresponsible!

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Parlor trick is to bake the moisture out of the wood or make your own cement block with a week mixture with more sand less mortar.

OP
paitingman

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
indeed, imho its things like this that has lead to karate etel becoming a running joke, I'm a karate black belt doesn't conjure up an image of a noble warrior, it conjures up an image of a rotund middle aged short bald bloke, hitting bits of trick cement.
people aren't impressed, they are laughing at you
Another "breaking is silly" post. again, a valid opinion, but not the intention here.
Don't get me wrong, DEBUNK AWAY. That's half of what I think should be discussed here.
Post on here how easy something is and why it's so easy, whats the trick, or what makes it difficult.

Latest Discussions