Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
10-20-2009 10:39 AM:

When Antoni Hardonk steps into the cage on Saturday night at UFC 104, it doesn't matter to him that he will be facing a former training buddy in Pat Barry.

"In a way, it is strange, because at the time we trained together, I never expected to fight him," Hardonk told Cagewriter. "But on the other hand, we're in the same business. It's a small world. For me, when I fight, it's nothing personal. I focus on my opponent and use my technique. I approach my opponent like a shadow. It's a shadow I want to take out."

Though the former kickboxer is known for ending fights -- all four of his wins in the Octagon have come via TKO or KO -- he is equally as well-known for heroicism. He stopped a street robbery this summer, retrieving a wallet for an innocent bystander by knocking down the would-be thieves. He was surprised by how much attention he received for it.

"Still, people bring it up all the time. People have read about it, heard about it. There's people helping other people every day. Little things, but sometimes, maybe this is more significant, but I think that's what we have to do. We have to help each other."

Hardonk is expecting a bigger challenge from Barry then he did from those street thugs, but he believes he does have an edge.

"Technique-wise, we're on the same level, but mentally, it's an advantage for me. I think I'm mentally a stronger guy."

Hardonk will also rely on a different kind of strength that has emerged since he's made the transition from a kickboxer to a mixed martial artist.

"I've noticed that since I've been fighting in the UFC, I've been a little heavier. I think that has to do with my transformation from being a kickboxer to being an MMA fighter. The wrestling aspect and the ground require a different sort of strength. With kickboxing, it's all about being fast and moving without any resistance. The only resistance is the air. With MMA, you have to deal with the person's strength and somebody's weight on you."

More...
Yahoo! Sports. MMA Feed
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions