Antietam

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Antietam is my favorite Civil War battlefield that I've visited. It's not too built up/developed.

Advice? First read/reread an account of the battle so that the details are fresh. Also, I recommend looking at some of the pictures taken shortly after the battle. You can still locate some of the spots today. The church and the bridge come immediately to mind.

Some guy wrote a couple books where he analyzed Civil War battlefield pictures and tried to locate the spot in contemporary times. He did Gettysburg and Antietam, maybe more. I don't recall the guys name and a quick search failed to unearth it. It began with an F IIRC and sounded Italian.

Finally, I prefer to visit battlefields at the time of year that the battle took place whenever possible.

edit - Here's the book I was thinking of.

Last edited:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I plan on going to the Antietam Battlefield for a day or 2. If anyone has gone there before, any advice? What to see or where to spend the most time? Nearby hotels?

Thanx!

I've gone twice, and the first time I had the best interpretive ranger I've ever met at a National Park. He did a fantastic job describing the battlefield and the overall situation. And I'd second Shuto's recommendation, visit in September if you can, they keep the fields in much the same conditions as they were historically, including the corn fields.

Sorry, no recommendation for hotels, I was staying at a nearby training center.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't recommend hotels, since I live close enough to make it a day trip. But it's well worth the time. As has been suggested, do the research/reading ahead of time to prep yourself. Spend some time at the visitor center, and take the tour. I like the self-guided approach that lets you stop and take the time...

If you like tent camping, you can actually camp on the C&O Canal nearby. That's one of the few spots where the campsites also have vehicle access.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all, I plan on going to the Antietam Battlefield for a day or 2. If anyone has gone there before, any advice? What to see or where to spend the most time? Nearby hotels?

Thanx!

Visit the national cemetery. Take the ranger guided tours. A fairly new exhibit that few seem to visit is McClellan's HQ about 2-3 miles east on Shepherdstown Pike.

There are a number of bed and breakfasts in the area, for hotels I can suggest the Bavarian Inn that is a straight drive west down Shepherdstown Pike and just over the Potomac near where Lee crossed his forces after the battle.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
And I'd second Shuto's recommendation, visit in September if you can,...
I'll 'third' that recommendation, but not for any 'historical accuracy' reasons - September the surrounding communities will have a fresh crop of apples and home-pressed apple cider available.

Latest Discussions