Anti-Grappling Techniques...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again never suggested that someone not learn to grapple....

To be honest though one person has inferred that you don't need grappling.

your over complicating it, hit them, kick them elbow them and knee them, don't grapple with them once they realise that trying to grab your legs or arm is a very painful experience they will stop it

I don't need to, I punch people and they generaly fall over, if that doesn't work I hit them again if it gets up close I grab their Adams apple till they pass out

wrestling is alright for fat blokes that can't punch

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
there not wrestlers

Collegiate wrestler:

12CMWNCAAQ4492.jpg

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again never suggested that someone not learn to grapple....why do you keep bringing that up?

Because you keep saying "if you don't know how to grapple".

I've got enough training ground fighting to beat someone with no training and enough training to know not to ground fight someone who is trained.

If you're at that point, maybe you should pick up more grappling. ;)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest though one person has inferred that you don't need grappling.

Fair enough.

But I didn't infer that.

My point if you are going to eye poke Or fight dirty...you best do it before a grappler gets his/her hands on you.

Once you are on the ground it's over.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because you keep saying "if you don't know how to grapple".

If you're at that point, maybe you should pick up more grappling. ;)

Not everyone is interested in grappling.

I have zero interest in grappling now.

And if I did the nearest school is 50-60 miles away.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the past many years, my MA interest was to find out a proper training method such that a grappler can fight against a striker if that grappler doesn't want to train any striking skill. I have designed a set of testing for that purpose.

If A can

- punch B's body/head within A's initial 20 punches,
- kick B's body/head within A's initial 20 kicks,
- kick/punch B's body/head within A's initial 20 punches or kicks,

before B can get a clinch on A, A wins that round. Otherwise B wins that round. Test this for 15 rounds. Whoever wins over 8 rounds will be the winner that day. The result always shows that B has higher chance to win than A does.

In the following 2 clips, it shows a clinch can be established within 2 - 4 punches time period.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
there not wrestlers
Au contraíre, they are all highly skilled wrestlers. They're also quite good at punching.

Jon Jones was a state champion wrestler in high school and regularly uses his wrestling skills in MMA to take down opponents and beat them up or submit them.

Demetrius Johnson also wrestled in high school, placing 2nd and 3rd in state championships. He also has made good use of his grappling skills in MMA, taking down and submitting multiple opponents in high level competition.

Georges St. Pierre didn't start wrestling until his late teens, but his wrestling and his Jiu-jitsu have been instrumental to his success as an MMA champion. His ability to take opponents down with a double-leg and keep them down has won him many fights.

If you want I can post pictures of fighters who were national or world champions at wrestling before getting into the fight game, but that's not going to help your case any.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Believe it or not it is possible to defend being taken down.
It's possible to defend against "take down". It's difficult (if not impossible) to defend against a 300 lb guy who tries to "drag you down with his body weight".

Of course when your opponent drags you down, you can drop your

- elbow on his throat or chest,
- knee on his chest or groin.

But if you don't kill him with your "drag down counter", you will still have to deal with his ground game after that.

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok...
Two things then.
1. You and those you train with are simple amazing and far better than most.
2. You and those you train with have never had to deal with grapplers who are intermediate or higher level.

1. We're better than most but nothing amazing. Just taiji and yiquan.
2. Rugby and judo are my grappling styles. The pro ruggers and judo black belts I trained with were high level enough.

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
And here is the problem with training in a bubble.

I suspect they feel the same about you, at least they would if they tried to match their own completely untrained approach to striking against their own highly trained approach to wrestling.

I don't train in a bubble. I seek out the best people and learn from them and sometimes, unfortunately, there is nothing to be learned. Another paper tiger exposed. All grapplers welcome.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Understand that one of the attributes of a good grappler is speed, another is accuracy. I don't know about other arts, but in the Hapkido I learned, we have many defenses against hand and feet attacks. If a punch or kick is trapped, blocked, or re-directed, chances are that attacking arm or leg is going to be joint locked in a damaging way, and the rest of your body is going to be turned in a way you can't do any damage. Don't expect an opposing Hapkido practitioner, or any other grappling art to stand there and let you do as you will. Same with grabbing an adam's apple. Even if you do it to occlude the carotids, you victim will still have 2 - 3 seconds to defend.

I don't know what grappling you may have done, but from your answers, if you should have to engage in a sparring contest or a real fight, I would suggest you ask your opponent if they are an experienced grappler. If they should deign to tell you they are (they may not), my suggestion would be to immediately disengage and run, not as fast as you can, but as fast as you have to.

I think you are suffering from being over confident in you art. I have mentioned before that while I understand one being happy with their own art, unquestionably being over confident is likely to leave you unhappy and not understanding what happened.

All arts and practitioners have strengths and weaknesses. If you don't know what your art's strengths and weaknesses are, and what your opponent's art's strengths and weaknesses are, you may get a nasty surprise.

As to wrestlers, how do you categorize talented wrestlers who aren't fat, and can punch as well as wrestle?

He has super speed or something. No one can touch him.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know about other arts, but the Hapkido I studied believes in staying on our feet, or no more than on one knee in completion of a trap of an appendage of someone for a strike or break.

I would think so. It may make a difference what the rules are though, if there are any rules. I don't think that has clearly been established.

wrestling believes on staying on their feet as well by the way. And are actually very good at it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have, but generaly I don't need to, I punch people and they generaly fall over, if that doesn't work I hit them again if it gets up close I grab their Adams apple till they pass out

No worries mark hunt.